1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Daryl Morey and the NBA need to apologize to China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by weopeo9744, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Nope. I don’t believe anyone anywhere spends their entire day calling black people gorillas. I know from my time in China that racist views and racist terms describing black people is fairly common in China.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Then there you go. We are in agreement and it's not a complicated issue at all

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not sure why I'm doing this, lol, boredom or something... but here goes.

Section One
    He starts off by talking about bottom lines. And indeed, notes that one of America's bottom lines is that we don't (well, we say we don't, in reality not so clear) accept racism. Indeed, our bottom lines strive be those of human rights. Whereas he says China's bottom line is their own sovereignty and territorial integrity. He also uses this section to make a random comment about Alec Baldwin making fun of our president every day. He also uses this section his video to imply that the DM tweet was apparently intended to be humorous in some way?? In any case, all this rambling really highlights is that, indeed, at the VERY CORE level, there is a difference in thinking that points out why doing business with the current Chinese regime is shady. China cares about the state. America cares about human rights (of course, we also care about sovereignty and patriotism, but we see further down...)

Section Two
    Brief, but just at the end of the above section he talks about getting Hong Kong back in 1997. Well... I mean kind of, sort of... hence the whole issue to begin with. Just pointing that out.

Section Three
    Now he goes into a whole bunch of "Americans having opinions is like me having opinions or Yao having opinion arguments".... bro, we're Americans, as we've already made clear, we value human rights. Have an opinion, don't have an opinion, whatever. Americans having opinions is like you having an opinion. In either case, it could be entirely our business, not our business at all, or somewhere in between. But, again, given we value human rights, we value humans above sovereign nations (though in truth we value capital above all... as does China and most of the world, different discussion), so it can absolutely be some of our business to have opinions here, but whether it is or isn't, it's perfectly fine thing to have. We have a saying about opinions. They're like assholes... everyone has one. It's a core part of being a human. Plus of course, as the guy knows, if Yao says California should be independent from America, Yao would immediately become public enemy #1 and be banned from ever coming back to America and the NBA would ban Chinese players forever!!!!! Oh wait, nevermind, none of that would happen cause no one would really care.

So when the dude says "Do you guys see how absurd this is?" incredulously, the answer is certainly YES. It's pretty absurd of China.

Section Four
    The dude says Adam Silver is getting dangerously close to crossing the line by playing the "Freedom of Speech card". He says the last part in a mocking tone. Again... HUMAN RIGHTS. There's a reason Freedom of Speech is the FIRST AMENDMENT to our Bill of Rights which is now hundreds of years old.

He can mock freedom of speech all he wants. But part of the reason China consistently ranks so low on human rights measures, and quality of life measures is because of their lack of freedom of speech. It's that important to human rights.

He says its not a matter of freedom of speech but of crossing lines. I have no clue what that means. Either they respect our freedom of speech, and say "hey, not cool, but we respect your freedom of speech"... or they don't. Lol, not complicated.

Section Five
    He finishes by noting that if you want to be in business with China, you need to respect the bottom line. INDEED!!! The heart of the matter, lol. It's about power and money, not freedoms or the well-being of citizens or anything like that.

Section Six
    He'll hate to see the relationship between the NBA and China go down in flames after all the hard work. Well, some cold truths.

For one, to 90% of average American fans out there, we don't care about the relationship. It hasn't benefited us in any way. The sport has got more money, but it's not like we can get tickets to games for a dollar.

For two, if China wants to destroy the relationship because of a tweet in support of human rights that was taken down an hour later, well that's on China. What... we in America have it all wrong and Daryl was wrong and he was actually supporting the "bad" guys and not the "good" guys? Ok... go ahead and educate folks. Instead, the Chinese position has instead done nothing but reinforce the views/reality of the situation. In other words, dude is directing the video at the wrong audience. He can still say all the same stuff, but also say "you guys probably didn't know any of this and we know DM has already effectively apologized and Adam Silver is just protecting freedom of speech (which earlier in the video the guy said he respects!), so it's all good, let's have a dialogue about this!"

For three... and most salient of all, the reality is the NBA has been super hypocritical on the subject anyway, and shouldn't be in China given the NBA's mission and culture. Don't get me wrong, I'd also be ok with Adam Silver basically saying "look, we're a business, we know China isn't perfect, we'd like to keep working at it to help them get there, while maintaining a business presence in China like millions of other companies do". But that's not the culture the NBA promotes - and for good reason, imo, especially when you factor in that the end product of that business is basically dominated by minority groups that have been subject to human rights violations for centuries.

So, anyway, when the OP says:

Well, I get it, it makes sense to people who don't have lots of human rights freedoms and therefor don't know what it means to have them. So know, OP, that it makes sense to us, why this type of view might make sense to you. But once the NBA had made it clear that they stand for more than just pure profit (as Silver has made clear over and over again), surely you understand why the video makes no sense to people who live in a culture where human rights are held in the highest regards, well well well well above that of state, as they should be. Cause ultimately, we're all individual humans, and as an individual human, whether I'm an American, or Scandinavian, or Italian, or Israeli or whatever is much less important than whether I can wake up in the morning and not be persecuted for the color of my skin, or choice of religion (or lack thereof), or what I say randomly, lol.

#123 JayZ750, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Yung-T, vinsensual, Rochut and 4 others like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

It is divided.

There are a lot of people in Hong Kong that would prefer to be completely separate like Taiwan. Most of those under currents were suppressed until the CCP started imposing restrictions on the people in Hong Kong.

Many in Hong Kong are willing to be part of China if they keep their freedoms and have some level of self determination.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The strongest support for independence from PRC is those 40 and under.

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Yeah, nah.

Morey has absolutely nothing to apologise for.

Yung-T and ElDobleK like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I’m sure we agree on many things.

The complicated part I was referring to is the relationship of mainland China and Hong Kong... Taiwan, etc. There are a lot of deep rooted differences culturally and practically.

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

You know who don’t listen to? The guy who disabled comments on his video.

Yung-T and ElDobleK like this.
  8. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Apologize to get it over with already!

9. The Law

The Law Member

Technically it’s the first line of that particular policy manual.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

That's why China has built so many militarized artificial islands and floating nuclear power plants near their neighbours over the last few years. They are abusive tiger mums who intimidate and beat children till they bleed.

Yung-T, clutchdabear and Nook like this.
  11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yes but that wasnt really my point. I just find the idea of using morality to make a point. If we should be anti-Chinese because they have morally problematic views, then we should also be anti-Hong Kong, anti-America, probably should just call everyone an a-hole.

Easier to just stick to the facts. It's not like there arent enough factual reasons to dislike the Chinese government's actions given what they've done, especially under Xi regime where things have pretty much just gone off the rails it feels like

12. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

And that's why US killed more human beings on planet Earth than any nation in history. And why did they abuse their power by eavesdropping and listening into governments so they can control them? Hmmm

#132 Yao4REAL, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  13. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

And you learn this not by actually being there and witnessing them but listening the Western media propaganda? LOL.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I lived in both China and the USA.

15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Most, not all. If you're not Chinese, you can't speak about them because you don't know enough. So maybe you're the one that maybe being brainwashed and refuse to accept the truth.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I don't see an Asian country on your visiting list. Racist? Been to China? Many foreigners told stories of how great it is living there, go watch Youtube.

17. dmoneybangbang

Also there's like this Northern China vs Southern China thing.

18. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

"China likes disciplining their children?"
    The hell they do. This is why they did great in school. You're probably not Chinese.

"Number one the fact you compare the citizens of China and the USA to children and the government as the parent tells me all I need to know about your psychological brainwashing."
    It is how it work in a ideological sense. freedom=can get out of control, producing arrogant brats. discipline=can control, produce dignity, kindness and radical behaviors. Not saying any of these systems is right. There need to be a balance.

"Number two the CCP is incredibly arrogant believing they can change the policy of an entire league based on a single tweet."
    This is exactly how Americans behave, how they think they can influence HK by producing this tweet....talk about arrogant lol.

"Even using your telling analogy. China is taking their children, surrounding them with 24 hour surveillance, restricting their ability to learn the truth of any issue and then wonders why their children grow up to be ignorant and dependent 100% on their parents." Not that i remember. I don't depend on my parents 100%.

"Further no one outside of China views China as quiet and humble. The Chinese are considered a nightmare when traveling with no respect for the countries or sites they visit. The CCP has even had to comment on it."

No one? I found many that said the opposites. So you're bullshitting yourselves.

"You need to look hard in the mirror and realize what you like to think you isn’t what you really are."
    Maybe the man in the mirror is you.

19. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The

Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square

Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great

Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人

權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence

多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of

China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維

吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel

Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂

騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化

人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報

九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐

買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie

the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What on earth are you talking about? I know for a fact that many Chinese are anything but quiet and reserved in public. I have also seen Chinese tourists jet setting around the world who spoil their kids way more than many Americans do. You also can't say that there aren't Americans who don't discipline their children and teach them how to act with respect. If you believe that you are living in a glass bottle full of smog and can't see the truth in front of you.

Yung-T and clutchdabear like this.