1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Teaching is one of the most important professions that exist.

There are certainly issues with HOW we teach and with HOW the teaching profession is viewed in the USA.

It should be a calling and not just a job for those that do it and we should hold it in higher esteem than we do..... 75 years ago being a teacher was viewed as a very noble and positive profession.

I am hopeful though, younger people seem to value teachers more than baby boomers do. When I grew up I noted that a lot of parents had no respect for teachers and acted as if they were part of the problem.... now I have a 6 year old and have noticed parents are different.

Amiga, jiggyfly and B-Bob like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Most Kids these days are very sure of themselves its a blessing and a curse.

amaru, Nook and B-Bob like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is a terrible way to go through life IMO.

This me and mine is eerily close to white nationalist speak.

ThatBoyNick and JuanValdez like this.
  4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Conjugal visits. Impregnation while incarcerated is the endgame.

likestohypeguy likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

How did I handle it or how do most prosecutors handle it?

Some prosecutors don't care, they go after the absolute maximum. They do not even take into consideration the victims wishes, because the fear is the person that committed the offense is a danger to society and the longer they are locked up, the better for society as a whole. There is some truth to this as historically criminals recommit crimes when they are out at a far higher rate than citizens that have never been convicted of a crime. Also most people that are charged with a serious crime have in the past gotten away with other crimes.

As for me, I tried to consider the crime, the likelihood of the person being a repeat offender, the age of the offender and what the victim wanted. Someone that did not have a history of prior convictions and did not pose a physical harm risk to society would be more likely to be offered a better deal.

Also people that cooperated with me, if the crime wasn't horrendous, I would often make a recommendation to the court for a sentence of 10 years or less. These were usually people that found themselves involved in a terrible crime but did not plan it.

People that good prosecutors consider giving a dime or less to? First time offenders....... People that did not commit a violent crime....... Younger people that were law abiding prior to their screw up....... people without a track record.... crimes in the past that mostly involved just mar1juana ...... crimes of passion or people that were abused by the person they hurt.

The people that we typically came down hard on? Cocaine/heroin dealers that were linked to violent crimes, higher level gang members, violent repeat offenders, child molesters, serial rapists, people involved in murdering someone that wasn't involved in organized crime, repeat DUI offenders (4th offense).

What I learned, and really didn't want to believe......... certain types of offenders have an extremely high likelihood of re-offending and they need to be locked away for as long as possible........ molesters, career members in organized crime, rapists, high level drug dealers..... high level drug dealers are some of the worst, they many times have committed violence against a high number of people and molesters are just not going to stop IMO.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Well what I find interesting is how the "me and mine" will play out in the future with so many biracial people being born. The standard of what is "black" and "white" is rapidly changing in this country.

7. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Wanted to get a personal perspective.. thx for sharing.

Nook likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Nope.

Happens all over the world.

As Americans we like to think we have the market on "screwed up" but we do not.

In fact it is more screwed up in many other parts of the world, including those with the highest standard of living.

There are many examples but the one that I can think of right now is Issei Sagawa.

He planned to kill a woman he found attractive. He invited her to his home. He shot her in the back of the dead. He had sex with her body. He went to the store and bought a butcher knife and cut her up like a cow. He then ate her while taking photographs and video of him eating her privates. He stored her in the refrigerator until he was bored and then just dumped her body like someone littering. He admitted that he had broken into the home of other women in efforts to rape and kill them. He also stated he visited prostitutes every night in Paris and was waiting for an opportunity to kill them.

He served two years in prison..... during that time he wrote a book about killing and eating women and became wealthy.

He has been free ever since and is a celebrity in Western Europe and Japan and has complained that his life has been unfairly hard having to live with being a serial killer.

So lets worry about our problems and take care of our problems, but not lose sight over the reality that the rest of the world is largely screwed up.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think it will play out like it has for forever biracial kids are considered black by the majority of society, yet they will feel ostracized by some black people.

Some biracial people will try and pass as white, some will become extra militant and some just will not care.

I don't really think the standard is changing, I think people are just not judging as much because of skin color.

jcf and Nook like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

That is interesting and that is what I expected.

I have a number of family members that are biracial and friends as well.

From what they have told me, being biracial has far less of a stigma than it did 20 years ago and that in many cases the biracial children are very nasty or abusive to black children that are not biracial. Most of the people I know close that are biracial live in very affluent areas and that could be part of the reason why.

From what they have told me, biracial children are essentially treated as white by their friends and the majority of there friends are white or other minorities that have money.

11. jcf

jcf Member

Well,this poses an issue on the "like" front. Interesting information and agree with your sentiment re: the rest of the world.

But can't bring myself to "like" a serial killer/cannibal post!

Nook likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think that is more of economic thing than Biracial thing.

The nastiness goes both ways, in a setting that's predominantly black biracial kids are picked on a lot.

I think in the future they will not be treated as anything for the most part, but a lot of society are fetishizing biracial kids IMO.

They are looked at as kind of exotic with there mixed features.

That is a whole other conversation.

If your interested.

https://www.xonecole.com/what-fetishizing-biracial-children-says-about-you/

I don't totally agree with everything in the article but I think the premise is correct.

Nook likes this.
  13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

A guy locally was just sentenced to 5 years for murder this morning.

http://thefacts.com/news/article_214eb08e-39fc-58c3-846c-9b0e0ad7c9a2.html

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

In My community there is a reason for the change IMO

Yest Teachers should be more respected.

Rocket River

Nook likes this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I cant. I am behind the paywall as well. I know that other defendants recieved stiffer sentences so this guy probably testified against his partners.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well first of all, she'll be eligible for parole after 5 years which she'll most probably get so she won't end up "missing her 30s". And Botham Jean will still be dead so in my book she's the "lucky" one because she'll still be alive.

Nook, vlaurelio and mdrowe00 like this.
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Botham Jean is definitely less lucky than she is. But I don't really like the approach of comparing the fate of the accused with the fate of the victim. That's the argument for vengeful punishment, which I don't agree with. But you're right that if she's eligible for parole in 5 years (and she'd probably get it, I'd think), she's in much better shape than if she had to do ten. It's still not a pittance though, and her prospects in life are still impacted. Not saying anyone should feel any remorse for what she'll suffer (and I'm only half-thinking about her case anyway), just that we've normalized prison too much.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

less lucky? LOL

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

She will write book or become the next Dog the Bounty Hunter . . ..
    I think she will definitely make money off this and have a great life.. . but it will come AFTER

Rocket River