1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When used synonymously, I think disregard is passive while contempt is active.

likestohypeguy likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t necessarily agree with this but part of my opinion is based on being a former federal prosecutor.

A dime (as we called it) is about the upper limit that people serve without having severe difficulty reacclimating into general society. There have been studies on it and it is something also based on the observations of prison officials.

She will be 41 at latest. She will certainly be able to marry if she wishes to and possibly even have children.

As far as employment, there are jobs available. Actually the people in for a long time seem to do better than those in and out of jail.

As far as I know she has no drug dependency issues or psychological issues. Those are usually the two causes of struggle post release.

If she corresponds with Christian churches she will have a support system upon release. Often serious on notorious criminals have a better support system than drug convicts. For example one of the Chicago Ripper cannibal serial killers were recently released and has an Evangelical church giving him a place to live and he works for them.

Her life certainly is worse than it was before she shot and killed someone. However once she was found guilty, she is extremely lucky to have received a 10 year sentence.

Amiga, JuanValdez and justtxyank like this.
  3. amaru

amaru Member

Obviously it isn’t unique to black people but I’m black so my attention is focused on my people. I couldn’t care less what non-black people believe, think or do as long as it doesn’t negatively affect me or mine. That’s their business.

Nook likes this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

We are getting better at fighting it, to be sure, but I still see it sometimes. Your group of students must be very sure of themselves. That’s a great thing.

Nook likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The main issue I have seen with people criticizing the brother is that it is less strong to forgive.

I think it is much easier and weaker to hold a grudge and be vengeful. I can't imagine me being able to forgive someone who killed my brother. I think it is a strong move and probably healthy as a way to move forward.

I understand people disagreeing with it because of the message it might send. I disagree that it is in anyway weakness. Honestly, I think a lot of people criticizing the brother do so because they can't imagine doing that themselves.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This parole in particular is why that sentence is garbage. 5 years for murdering someone in their own apartment. Incredible.

Nook, mdrowe00, Hakeemtheking and 4 others like this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I totally agree. People serving longer bids for selling weed.

Nook, mdrowe00, Hakeemtheking and 3 others like this.
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

When we talk about an f'ed up justice system. We can juxtapose white lady cop murderer getting hugs all around and parole in 5 years with this guy, wrongfully convicted of murder and sentenced to 27 years in prison. Yeah, he's black to the surprise of no one.

Nook, mdrowe00 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  9. likestohypeguy

10. malakas

malakas Member

I think this thread has become extremely disrespectful.

Who are you to judge whether someone forgives or not the murderer of his brother?
    People of all colours and genders, all religions, forgive or not forgive, show it publically or keep it private and it's their right to do what they feel like.

There is no right or wrong and you have no right to critisize and judge them.

jcf likes this.
  11. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

maybe she was lactose intolerant or a chic fil a die hard or both

B-Bob likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Only in America

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If she’s really smart and devious she’ll wear short skirts and a push up bra and go around churches and Fox News talking about how Jesus saved her and how cops God’s enforcers on Earth.

superfob and DonnyMost like this.
  15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

She will be able to find a hubby upon release. She will still be attractive and apparently she is likeable. Probably has penpals lining up.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think that is more of an argument against drug punishments than anything.

People who are upset about the sentence -- would you recommend that the minimum sentence for first-degree murder be increased from 5 years?

It's hard to imagine any case where 5 years for murder seems applicable. I wonder what the average sentence is?

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. jcf

jcf Member

I hope this is hyperbole.

ThatBoyNick and B-Bob like this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The problem is the expectation and pressure put upon black people to forgive . .and forgive quickly
    The Charleston 9 were not buried yet and the press was asking them did they forgive Dylan Roof

I remember watching the movie 42 . . . . .the white guy tells Robinson . . YOU HAVE TO BE STRONG ENOUGH *NOT* TO FIGHT!
    I mean Really? What other group is this ingrained in and pushed on . . ..
    It seems like the minimal amount of Anger by a black person . . . that is a killable offense
    Not Forgiving is seens as a more moral Failing

Any one ever Ask Fred Goldman if he forgave OJ? The Browns?
    Hell naw .. . they hounded him until they got him
    Heck . . .some still want him dead

Ole Girl used her Mythical Magical White Woman tears and got so much sympathy that people seem to be treating her like she is the victim
    of some incredible injustice. . . . . .

SHE KILLED A MAN . . . .there are people in prison . . . black and brown people . . . that are doing DECADES for less weed than my pock can hold
    but she gets 5 years.

He did not just "forgive her" . . he said "I don't want you to go to jail" . . . ..

Rocket River

GOD: THOU SHALL NOT KILL
    Christian: NAH B! Don't e'en worry 'bout all that. . . I forgive you and hope we can chill in heaven

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that there shouldn't be an expectation for anyone to forgive. I also agree there is a double standard based on race.

That being said, I think it is much harder to forgive than holding a grudge, getting angry, and wanting revenge. It is even harder to not only forgive but also believe that you don't wish the person would go to prison.

I think from his own personal development and process that is probably very healthy, and something most people wouldn't have the strength to do. So, for that reason, I applaud him.

Furthermore, I wish more people had that strength and I had that strength. If everyone, was able to do that, those that kill might be touched and not kill again. There would be less anger and less killing overall.

That being said, it's up to each person to make that decision, and not something that should be expected. It would be beautiful if people would do that.

I agree that her sentence was too light. I would hope for a stronger sentence. That would be juster.

What I am troubled by are people putting extra pressure on the brother of the victim while he's dealing with a huge amount of grief and public scrutiny as it is. He did something that is incredibly strong, and a great example for everyone. So for people to say that he's somehow weak is insensitive to a man while he's grieving as well as off base in my opinion.

Amiga and Nook like this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So I’m curious... knowing about the dime, how do you take that into account if at all? For example, do you folks try to not go over the dime for certain type of people even for the most serious of crimes - those that seems to be remorseful for example?