1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Well...what Botham's brother just did was incredible.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I would've thought at least 20. At least there was a murder conviction.

tmoney1101 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

10 years for murder is nonsense. She's a damn cop, murder in this type of situation for someone with police training should be double or triple. Her actions are a complete betrayal of the public's trust in police.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah.... but like I said, this was an UGLY white woman.

No one gives a **** about ugly white and hispanic women.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

...expound?

I don't like this sentence at all.

6. Nook

Nook Member

"Brandt Jean, the brother of the Botham Jean, whom Amber Guyger shot dead last year, told the former Dallas police officer he forgives her and didn't want her to go to prison.
    After giving his victim impact statement, Brandt Jean went over to Guyger and the two hugged as Guyger bawled.
    "I love you as a person and I don't want to wish anything bad on you," Jean said before they hugged for nearly 30 seconds."

I wonder how much of this played a part in the sentencing.

In Illinois a victim impact statement is BEFORE a sentence is handed down and I suspect that is the case here as well. If that is the case, then there is a high likelihood that it played a part in the sentencing.

CometsWin and Invisible Fan like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Huh. Well okay then.

8. Surfguy

He forgave her, told her he loved her like anyone else, told her to ask God's forgiveness, and said he didn't want her to serve any time but seek out Christ. Then, he requested to the judge if he could hug her. The judge said yes and they hugged in a very heartfelt moment with Guyger wailing.

I don't think we've ever seen anything like this before.

Sajan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. Surfguy

This is post-sentencing from what I can tell. If not, then I'm confused on the timeline being presented. I thought I was watching it live and then I posted. Maybe not, though? Hmm.

Edit: The news analyst just said it was after the sentence was read but he may have misspoke because I don't know of any victim testimony occurring after a sentence is handed down.

#769 Surfguy, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Brandt Jean is a good man and will sleep soundly the rest of his days when others would be lying awake and tormenting themselves or roiling in anger.

He knows that sending Guyger to prison won't bring his brother back and he thinks Guyger is genuinely sorry and that putting her in jail won't make society a better place.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Personally I don't think that she walked into his apartment knowing it was his apartment and intending to kill him.

Does that mean he didn't commit murder? No, not necessarily.... She should have known it wasn't her apartment and she should have not shot him.

I was think 20 years without parole..... If I were on the jury and heard the brother of the victim say he did not want her to go to jail, that would honestly have an impact on me. 10 years seems to short, but maybe the jury thought they were doing what the family wanted? Most likely it was a compromise verdict as well.

I was on a jury for a serial rapist........ in my experience jurors take it very serious but people have widely different opinions.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I wonder how many years he would have got if roles were reversed...

Fulgore and ClutchCity3 like this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

Yea I'll believe it when I see it. Regardless, we have people doing much longer for drug sentences than she's doing for murder.

14. amaru

amaru Member

Life without

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Probably 'bout 5 or 6....

...before the appeals ran out and the lethal injection kicked in.

16. Buck Turgidson

How many of those are legislated mandatory sentences though?

17. amaru

amaru Member

Don't know and honestly don't care. This system isn't broken, it works as it was designed and that is to the detriment of people of color.

Buck Turgidson and CometsWin like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Hence why I said "legislated" and "mandatory".

You and I could sit down over beers for 2 hours and not really scratch the surface on solving what is ****ed up about our justice system

CometsWin likes this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The woman was a cop. Not a career criminal. The system doesn't "work" for career criminals

Nobody gets ten years on their first drug charge unless they're moving weight

20. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member