1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The best punishment for Flagrant 2 fouls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Sep 11, 2019.

?

What punishment would you like to see for Flagrant 2 fouls?

1. Keep it the same

2. Make it like soccer. When they are ejected, the team can't replace the player on the court.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they haven't made consistent calls after all these years they never will. Teams like the Lakers and GSW will always have the NBA and refs on their side.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I said if they want to fix it, I didn't say they would fix it. Haha. The NBA could do themselves a whole lot of good by at least trying on this one. But hey, us idiots will keep watching so there's that.

deb4rockets likes this.
  3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good points. I am wondering if there could be a Flagrant 3 that would result in disqualification?

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. Remlap

Remlap Member

I've always been an advocate of an 'eye for an eye' rule in ALL contact sports.
    If a player injures another player on a 'dirty' play and the injured player is unable to return
    to action, the player who injured him should also be required to stay out of action until
    the injured player gets a clean bill of health.

I remember seeing a player in a hockey game, come from behind and take an opponent down
    to the ice from his blindside. Broke the guys' neck and ended his career.
    The guy who injured him was still playing like nothing happened.
    An 'eye for an eye' rule would have taken him out as well.

Same with baseball. If you throw at a guys' head, and it's deemed as malicious instead of accidental,
    you may find yourself out for an extended period if the ball cracks the batters' jaw.

Football cheapshots, same thing. If you target his head with your helmet, and he goes
    out for concussion protocol. So do YOU.

It would drastically reduce the number of the cheap shots you see in sports

Jontro and deb4rockets like this.
  5. Remlap

Remlap Member

As far as Flagrant 2 in basketball, player is ejected and other team is awarded 6 points for Flagrant 2.
    Could easily take your team out of a close game, or help the other team close the gap
    when trailing by 10 points.

Since a flagrant doesn't directly affect the score, you can send a bench player (or lesser player)
    in to do the dirty work. If he gets thrown out, so be it. The stars continue to play.
    But an immediate 6 point swing in a playoff game could be costly and make someone think twice
    about a hard or unnecessary hack job

Jontro and deb4rockets like this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I've always felt that way too. Fitting punishment.

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I like the eye for eye punishment better but this idea is a good start towards evening the score.

8. TheresTheDagger

In the cases where the player committing the flagrant hurts an opposing player, just make the suspension of the player match that of the number of games missed by any injured player.

If the injured player misses 20 games, the suspension is 20 games.

deb4rockets and Remlap like this.
  9. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Since when has there ever been any repucussions upon an opposing player for hurting a Rockets player?

#29 Sanctity, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    deb4rockets likes this.
  10. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

james 'bad news' ennis ended the lakers career of lonzo ball. Glad rockets traded bad news ennis!

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That seems to be a popular suggestion. It's actually the most fitting if someone is injured. It's easier on them than a true eye for an eye...LOL. Come sit here while I break your jaw with my elbow type punishment probably wouldn't go over well in the voting of rule changes.

12. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

maybe not like soccer, but like hockey.

13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

This. Hockey legally allows fighting, but the price is extremely high.