1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This Team Has No Future

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Sep 1, 2019.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I've been holding back on the scorched earth outlook for so long, but I just can't do it anymore.

Texans just spent THREE FIRST ROUND PICKS + two second round picks; (including Tytus Howard and Max Scharping) to fix a single position at left tackle -- mind f*cking boggling!

That's the kind of draft ransom you pay for a generational must-have QB prospect -- the next Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers, not a freaking left tackle because you were too cheap to pay Duane Brown and got yourself in this mess to begin with.

Now let me say this, I'm absolutely in favor of getting a solid starting left tackle because otherwise god help Watson. However, the sheer ineptitude of this franchise is absolute now -- that's not even including yesterday's free giveaway of Jadaveon Clowney, which still makes my blood boil! No, the Texans also wasted an entire draft overreaching for Tytus Howard in the first round and are now paying a king's ransom to make up for that blunder.

Now, some of you here will be quick to point out this move has the potential to pay off huge like the Watson trade. However, that's where I think even the most optimistic outlook is flawed.

See, even if Tunsil is a smash hit homerun and I hope to god he is for Watson's sake, the Texans will still have struck out and failed as a organization.

Let me explain why.

The only time a team commits to such an overpay is when it believes the move will put it over the top to win a championship. That's absolutely not the case for the Texans right now even if Tunsil turns out to be a pro-bowler.

The reality is the Texans are in the AFC going up against the greatest dynasty ever in the Patriots and then the best offense in the league right now in the Chiefs. To compete at that elite level and get to the Super Bowl requires absolutely flawless execution as an organization.

The Texans however just spent 5 top draft picks to address a single position.

Winning a Super Bowl is a game of inches -- squeezing out ever last bit of juice from your resources and their talents. Can you imagine Bill Belichick ever being that incompetent and wasteful with his resources?

That's why the Texans have no future.

Sure, Tunsil might be a good fit for now and the Texans might win their division, but their Super Bowl chances long-term are slim. Two years down the road when gapping holes open up at so many other positions and the Texans have nothing to plug them, Watson should seriously consider working for a competent organization, not this burning trash-fire masquerading as an NFL franchise.

#1 ghettocheeze, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Agent94, Lurch, napalm06 and 7 others like this.
  2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Howard and Scharping will address the guards/or RT. So the Texans address 3 positions on the WORST offensive line in the league. This line is TONS better than last season now.

Picks.....who cares. First round picks (even though the Texans have been good at them) are always crap shoots....as any draft picks are. Texans will have a 2nd and 3 - 3round picks in 2020. 2021 will hurt more, but u will have an extra 4 and 6. Ask the Rockets about draft picks. Texans will have 100 million in cap space to sign their players and Free Agents. They will fine in that department. You have to fine the Justin Reid's of the world with the picks u have.

Bill O'Brien was an idiot with Clowney. However, the key to that trade is Jacob Martin. If develops, he can be REALLY good.

The Texans' offense will be top 5 this season (health not withstanding). Weapons all over the field.

The defense will survive without Clowney. Mercilus gets to move back to his natural side.

Fiah and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member

/thread

juanm34, BHannes2BHonest and SC1211 like this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I suggest you find a new team.

They have a great future moving forward as they have Deshaun Watson.

They will be relevant the rest of his career.

No Worries, Uprising, sammy and 3 others like this.
  5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Why do fans pretend they are in the GM’s office?

For all we know, the Texans could have offered x money and he turned it down because he didn’t want to be here.

Rustyrig likes this.
  6. plee

plee Member

As I said in another thread, how many future's are you waiting for? They have address the OL, so the offense is pretty stable barring injuries. So the focus should be on the back end of the defense. Probably not going to spend a #1 on corner anyway...

TheFreak likes this.
  7. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

Have you heard? The sky is falling...run

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep you're 100% right.

Without top picks I don't see how they can get better. That's the main way teams improve!

Lurch and ghettocheeze like this.
  9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

If Bootychin is here for those next 3 years, it's a good move.. But if he's fired and another coach has to deal with this crap, then it's historically bad... I'm guessing it's historically bad..

10. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The core issue is that with a modicum of planning, the price could have been drastically lower. If they wanted to trade Clowney, they should have done so before the extension deadline. The hallmark of BOB's disastrous tenure so far has been "buy high and sell low". I like Tunsil - but they dealt from a position of no leverage due to poor execution and poor planning.

Kim, ghettocheeze and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

The Texans have a future that will probably go on long after we are all dead and buried. Teams recover from bad trades. It may take some time, but they recover. Hey, remember when Ditka traded all his draft picks for one player. That was some crazy ****. :D

12. Mr. Clutch

Tanking is useless for 3 years. They are in win now mode but aren't that good.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

Well, they might not be very good. We don't know for sure. They have to play the games.

I'm not crazy about the moves they've made this year, but it's only sports. The Texans are only one of many teams I root for. If the Texans are bad for the next five or six years, I'll survive. The Oilers were horrible in the early and mid seventies, but they eventually improved. Right now the Astros and the Rockets are pretty good, so I have that to enjoy. It's just sports. We will get through this.

14. Mr. Clutch

Yeah I know. This is zero on the stress level. Just sucks as a fan.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

How will you feel if we beat the Saints next Sunday?

16. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Confused bc the game is Monday night?

juanm34, MadMax, DBrunk01 and 6 others like this.
  17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The Rams haven’t had a 1st round pick since 2016, the Chiefs since 2017. The Browns have had 12 Top 10 picks since they went back to Cleveland, including numerous #1 overall picks and that’s amounted to 2 winning seasons. Yes it’s a big way teams improve but it’s not the only way, and it’s definitely not a surefire way either.

This team has plenty of talent to win. Can they do it under BoB, that I’m not so sure of. The Rams went 13 straight years without a winning season, think about that. 2nd year under McVay and they’re in the Super Bowl.

DBrunk01 likes this.
  18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Wow, I didn't know that. So we are playing in the early Monday game. Not sure why the NFL does that two games on Monday thing the first week.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Although they were already good in 2017. They had the talent mcvay just has to use it properly after they spent firsts on Donald, Goff, and Gurley.

Not sure if OBrien can suddenly unlock the talent or if it is even close to what the Rams have.if the Texans are just as talented then OBrien should be fired for not being able to use it.

Likewise the chiefs were already good and traded picks for mahomes to lift them into contender status.

Now maybe Tunsil was that type of move, but then they also trade clowney and make the defense worse?

red5rocket likes this.
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

They're one shut down corner away