1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

That would be the smartest thing to do if he indeed wanted to stay in houston

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

BOB is so terrible man.

Like I mentioned before, if he didn't want him and didn't think he was worth the value, fine. That's normal. So trade him. Draft day was the time to trade him. You would have created a bidding war for him, could have drafted another dlineman or moved up to draft a potential star at another position...

So instead we don't have Clowney and instead he's found some way to almost dictate where he goes destroying our leverage.

Also LOL at Clowney being worth a single 3rd round pick and that BOB tried to make that trade. No, Clowney may not be worth (More to do with injuries than talent) whatever he's asking but he's top 5 at his position.

3. Mattician

Mattician Member

Bill O'Brien gets a lot of hate, but it starts with the ownership and front office. What an embarrassment of a franchise.

The Astros and Rockets are lucky to have Jeff Luhnow and Daryl Morey.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Drake is a beast from what I've seen. I don't think he's put out there.

Edit: stats are okay. Seems like another Duke Johnson type

5. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This franchise is a dumpster fire

noscrusir, BMoney, Spacemoth and 4 others like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Dolphins have some intriguing backs on their roster for Texans to consider after Lamar Miller's season-ending injury, including Kenyan Drake and Kalen Ballage. Ballage has outstanding size at 6-2, 230 pounds.

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) August 27, 2019

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I'm quoting a tweeter in Adam Clanton's timeline, who said, 'offer Nick Martin to the Pats for Caserio.' Let Caserio then pick his head coach.

raining threes likes this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

We’re hitting rock bottom level here folks.

UTSA2step, Blatz and RasaqBoi like this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

True, better ownership would not have let him ruin things as much as he does and they keep handing him more power.

Gray_Jay and Spacemoth like this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Didn't u get the memo? BoB is now the front office.

Spacemoth likes this.
  11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I want my team to win a super bowl. Trading a productive player for .50 on the dollar while you have a lot of capspace is crazy to me. I would rather Clowney play this year on the tender and trade him in the off-season.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The right to go about this is to let him sign his franchise tag tender, bring him back to the team, and let him beast for a game or two. Showcase the man. If you really think that he's not worth investing in long term because he can't be trusted with years and years of guaranteed money, that's fine. But do NOT sell low.

Bill O'Brien the GM is just a turnstile of buy-high sell-low transactions.

UTSA2step likes this.
  13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

First of all, Clowney would most likely have no way of knowing what they were going to get in return for him. Why share that information with him anyway? He has no need to know. Secondly, no coach anywhere, not even one who is acting as a GM, wants to trade an established current starter, especially a great one, for a future draft pick alone. Why? Because coaches are paid to win now, and future draft picks don’t help with that. There’s no way, unless BOB is a bigger moron than people think, that he’s going to settle for just a future draft pick alone. And guess what? There’s nobody to overrule that decision except for BOB himself. I’d be beyond shocked and amazed if they don’t get a rotation player or two along with a future pick for Clowney. I don’t expect that any of us will be satisfied with the return, and, yes, as usual they have botched this situation royally, but they will get something better than a mediocre draft pick for Clowney.

No Worries likes this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, only way forward now.

The thing is not sure where his value will be. NFL trades for superstar players are so rare because during the season teams that are rolling aren't going to overpay for one piece and teams that are not winning will just play out the season and collect their high picks. The draft (or offseason) is always the best time to trade players since teams are trying to fill holes and we could have really gotten a lot for him then. Look at what Odell got the Giants, a first round pick, 2nd round pick, and a helluva player back that was a first rounder and still super early in his career. So they essentially got two firsts and a third.

His value is lower in the season and pray to the football gods he doesn't get hurt.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

But Clowney told them he was being traded for a 3rd while playing Call of Duty.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If you're for signing Clowney long-term, all the vitriol towards the Texans is deserved.

If you don't think he's worth it... i'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Its easy to say "they should have traded him earlier!"... when its reported that they did look into offers, but ultimately both sides decided that playing out the contract (via tag) was going to be the plan.

If Clowney thought not signing the tender would absolve him from all OTA's, etc.... and not have any potential repercussions, he was given bad advice (which I suspect is why he's now had a falling out with his agent).

I still believe he's just not worth it... nor is he a good enough player to miss training camp and not make attempts to expand his game with workouts. Watt is still out there busting his ass after devastating previous injuries.... in games that don't matter or off-season workouts that are "voluntary".

Rudyc281 and rusHour like this.
  17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Clowney fired his agent and is talking to Miami, it is on Yahoo Sports front page.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

We landed on the moon!

desihooper, Rudyc281 and BMoney like this.
  19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Clowney is worth it on the franchise tag, surely. It's not as if the team is using his capspace for something else. If they can get a starting caliber tackle, great. For a running back, or a wide reciever? That's a seriously bad allocation of resources and would make the team worse in the short and long term.

UTSA2step likes this.
  20. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

He deletes, changes his tweets all the time. Honestly don’t think he has proper inside sauces ;) And just throes enough *** agains the wall and hope something sticks.