1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trent Williams Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by zeeshan2, Jul 31, 2019.

1. raining threes

I would have to see how much Miller has improved before I crucified anybody. Miller is an elite athlete so he can improve. Davenport is an avg athlete at best so he doesn't have as much room for improvement. Signing Brown gives Gruden the luxury of having a competent LT if Miller fails to improve. It's called investing in the OL. I know Texans fans dont know what this looks like.

gucci888 likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There are far more mid-tier FAs than full-blown "franchise"-level FAs, and when there are "franchise"-level FAs, please note the teams that often go after them: mid-tier (or worse) teams hoping to throw a bunch of money at their problems. You very rarely see good teams chase those guys. The Colts had more cap room than the Texans - didn't even sniff LeVeon Bell, for instance.

I'm not arguing the Texans were RIGHT in not chasing Brown - but I think their decision not to is wholly defensible: he was grossly overpaid, potentially overrated, and his taking money to go play for a bad franchise may very well speak to what his priorities are.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It’s true but we’ll see how it works out. They have freaking Richie Incognito slated as a starter right now. The Raiders haven’t exactly been the model franchise.

Hey Now! likes this.
  4. raining threes

Did you see what the Rams, Eagles have done in FA the last 2 yrs? They disagree with this post. The Colts are in a totally different situation than the Texans are. Mack/Wilkins are good RB's at a fraction of the cost.

The Raiders will not be one of the worst teams in the league probably next yr, depending on how Carr does. I predict they will be far from one of the worst teams n the league by the time they get to Vegas.

5. raining threes

They just are the anti Texans under Gruden.

Incognito/Antonio etc....

6. Hey Now!

Do they?...

The Eagles' two largest free agent contracts since 2017: $32MM to Trey Burton & $30MM to Malik Jackson. The Rams: $34MM to both Robert Woods & Andrew Whitworth.

The Texans? $34MM to Aaron Colvin & $28MM to ZachFulton. You termed them (and their similar free agent haul of '16, money-wise - if we exclude the $72MM they threw at Osweiler) "middle of the pack guys." How are the Eagles & Rams different?

The Colts are in a totally different situation than the Texans are. Mack/Wilkins are good RB's at a fraction of the cost.[/quote]
    So... the Colts had no needs heading into the offseason?........

The Raiders are a bad football team/organization trying to solve their problems through free agency overspending. It's not a model to envy or follow.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So is there actually any Trent updates? Or will we just have to this this redundant argument in this thread also?

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

TW is not being traded. No team is meeting the draft capital wanted by the Redskins (which is a #1 AND another pick).

Move on.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My vote is for ... redundant tomfoolery.

coachbadlee and DonkeyMagic like this.
  10. raining threes

So... the Colts had no needs heading into the offseason?........

The Raiders are a bad football team/organization trying to solve their problems through free agency overspending. It's not a model to envy or follow.[/QUOTE]

You left out the Eagles signing Jefferey,Smith,Brooks,Wiesnewski in FA etc...

The Rams signed Suh and traded for Talib, Peters. The Texans are run nothing like the Texans org.

The Colts only major needs were Pass Rusher Houston in FA, WR Funchess in FA, Campbell Draft and CB Re-signed Desir, drafted Sin. Again nothing like the Texans. The Colts have a great young OL.

Lets talk about where the Raiders are in 2 years after they're in Vegas.

#130 raining threes, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  11. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

He is consistently lineing up as 1st string RG which is where I expect him to be come opening week. I liked Ford as a prospect, thought I saw him as more of a guard and only liked the BC kid more at that position in the draft. I think he has the potential to be a really good guard.

12. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

I always put together my own rankings going into the draft and had Howard more or a 2nd/3rd round talent so when the Texans pulled the trigger in the 20s I was surprised. Really liked Warring as a pass catching TE prospect in the vicinity that the Texans drafted him. The Bill's ended up taking Knox in the 3rd round who has been banged up in camp and then Sweeney late who has been our best TE in camp this far. Haven't followed up on Warring since the draft but I remember liking him as a prospect.

13. raining threes

I do the same, I had Dillard top 10, Howard late 2nd or early 3rd. Warring late 3rd early 4th because he injured his hamstring in his last college game and missed his bowl game. The Texans history with guys that have hamstring issues has been terrible.

BTW What Bills site do you visit and whats your member name?

14. Hey Now!

And I quote:
    I used *your* time frame. But, OK - Brooks (which, again, was '16) was $40MM. Torrey Smith was $15MM; Jeffery was $9.5MM (a one-year prove-it deal - sound familiar?); Wiesnewski was $8MM..... You'll note that not a single one of the deals comes anywhere close to the $72MM the Texans dumped on Osweiler, nor would any of those qualify as "top tier FAs" - which, again, was your standard not mine.

Suh signed a one-year, prove it deal for $14MM (sound familiar?) - mid-tier.

And I quote, again:
    You've moved the goalposts again. But, OK - the Texans traded for Deshaun Watson, Demaryus Thomas, Duke Johnson.....

I'm not arguing the Texans are a better organization than either team (they are not) - but, yeah... they both operate very similarly.

So, in other words.... they had a bunch of cap space and used it on mid-tier guys, none of whom received more than $24MM? But that's nothing like the Texans?..... OK.

Sure. Let's do that. In the meantime, that you think they are in *any* way a model franchise provides quite a bit of insight into why you're down on the Texans.

15. raining threes

Let me help you out here, those teams spend the money to be successful. The Texans dont. How many years has Jefferey been with the Eagles? Are you equating trading for Johnson,Thomas to trading for Talib,Peters? If so that's some funny ****.

Houston is more than a mid tier pass rusher when healthy and he Texans crap at LT will find that out this season. The best the Texans can hope for is Luck to remain injured this season.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Luck was healthy last year and we won the division.

Hey Now! and FLASH21 like this.
  17. Hey Now!

Honestly, I don't really need your help here. You, OTOH, sure seem to need some help, which is why you keep moving the goal posts. You set the standard and then refused to walk it back once I demonstrated your standard was wrong.

The Texans are not cheap. That doesn't mean they're smart when they spend money. But they are not cheap.

Duke Johnson is making >$2MM this year; Marcus Peters made >$2MM when the Rams traded for him. Talib was paid $11MM his first year in LA; Thomas last year carried a base salary of $8.5MM.

You brought those two up (even though you had already established that this was a discussion about free agency): why are they not equivalent? Again, I'm not arguing the Texans are good at spending money - only that they spend money very similarly to other playoff-level teams. You've yet to credibly refute that.

Luck was healthy last year and the the Texans won the division. Hedge all you want on Houston, he signed for $24MM, which makes him a mid-tier free agent. And it is the same buy-low on an former great player kind of approach that I guarantee you would rip the Texans for doing. In fact, had the Texans signed Houston, there is a 1,000,000,000% chance you would've torn the deal apart based on how you've treated, well, virtually every other move they've made.

You don't want to be objective. You want to be angry.

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

19. raining threes

2nd most cap space in the NFL says differently.

I'm not angry I've just learned to LOL at this clusterfvck of an org.

20. raining threes

Yep and the Texans needed a lucky call by the Reich to beat the Colts the one time they beat the Colts.