1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cheap Tilman catches another break...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hardy Toll Road, Aug 8, 2019.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i nominate this for dumbest fuking post of the year

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No; not at all. I'm super cool with a cool whip topping but I sincerely try to not be a contrarian in anything. Sure, there are sports owners who appear more lavish in their spending but I guarantee that they don't lose a dime.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I will bet you that EG doesn't understand the NBA CBA -or- the MLB CBA. He's maybe a tad more informed than the people on this forum because he's in the business. It's like saying that your employees understand your business model so well they could run the company. EG's comments come out of frustration.

I guess the moral of the story is that Tilman may be bad at communicating to his employees (and us fans) and helping them understand the vision of the business. It's selling your employees on what they do. It's a common failing in any sector.

4. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

So tired of reading about Tilman being Cheap. Can't believe Clutch has let the trolling last this long.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If you want people to be happy that the owner is avoiding avenues that would improve the team’s chances at winning a championship, I don’t know what to tell you. I’m sorry people would rather have an improved roster.

D-rock, HP3, FrontRunner and 8 others like this.
  6. Acura

Acura Member

Gotta pay the tax if you want to win

D-rock likes this.
  7. Acura

Acura Member

Do you not understand there are ways to operate over the cap? This isn’t new

D-rock likes this.
  8. sabesque

sabesque Member

Player A (Tillman): Two summers ago, this guy dropped over 2 billion to buy the Houston Rockets.

Player B (Me): 3 hours ago this guy used the remaining 82 cents on my starbucks gift card so it wouldn't go to waste

Which one of these is cheap?

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Depends on if you tipped ;)

Look ... I’m not thrilled with Tilman’s decisions not to pay the LT so far ....

Maybe there were no deals out there , maybe going Into the tax was just too much of a price for a small upgrade and would have hampered his ability to field teams near the cap in the near future .

I understand tilman just bought the team and owners in that situation (unless they are wealthy even among owners ) often find it tough to be able to spend all in .

Still , it’s disappointing and I wish tilman didn’t talk so much crap to accompany his (so far) lack of follow through .

The truth is we have given up assets to move salary and those assets could have been used more directly to improve the team. We have left avenues to spend open and not used them .

That hurts when you are a contending team and every marginal advantage can be the difference .

D-rock, Joshfast, smp and 1 other person like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What do the Chris Paul Only Fans have to say about this? Feels bad man huh?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

To reiterate, this doesn't mean Westbrook is giving up money, he's just letting Tilman have extra time to pay him. He'll still get all of that money over the year but now Tilman will get a little time to come up with the cash.

Gray_Jay and J.R. like this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It is SO ridiculous that I opened a feedback thread for this trolling a while back. Local guy spends 2+ BILLION dollars and constantly gets called cheap by these trolls. SO annoying and I can't believe shitposting like this is allowed in the GARM.

14. Hardy Toll Road

But its not trolling :rolleyes:

15. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

right? an owner shouldn't troll his fanbase by saying things like "whatever it takes" then push for money saving moves behind doors

16. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Player b is frugal.

Player a is a billionaire and talks big but spend like player a in all line of business, including his basketball team

sabesque and PhilCollins like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Didn't realized Broke Boy was doing it during the season as well.

Under Fertitta, the club has been averse to making significant upfront payments in a variety of transactions — when Houston traded cash in three separate deals during the 2018/19 league year, it always sent that cash in many installments, rather than in a single lump sum.

18. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Lol. Broke boy.

Too bad he doesn't own New Orleans Pelican. Call him Po boy.

D-rock and kjayp like this.
  19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Coaches dont affect the cap or luxury tax... why we on the cheap there too?

"whatever it takes..." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

D-rock and Gray_Jay like this.
  20. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

So every two months, Westbrook was supposed to get 9.6 million, if I'm reading this right. Instead, he's getting half that. Presumably with the remainder to be added to the other two scheduled payments, but I guess Fertitta could stretch it out the remainder of the year. In any event, Westbrook is missing 9.6 million that he won't see until December 1 at the earliest. Let's assume Russ would've dumped it all in an S&P index fund, which even after the market's woes of the last few days, is still up 13.4 percent on the year. 4 months, or 1/3 of a year, means that WB would have missed out on ~4.5% appreciation (if not more!) on 9.6 million dollars.

Or about 430,000 dollars. It could've been more, depending on how the deal is structured. Russ may not miss the money, but I bet his agent and accountant do.

This isn't something you do as a favor, unless you're getting something back. Like the deal not going through.

I question the mindset of an owner---and call him cheap---that seems to think his players are just another vendor he can screw by putting them on Net 150 Days or the like. Again, are other owners pulling these kinds of financial machinations? Judging by the Warriors giving Draymond a hefty chunk of his money upfront, I have to think the answer is No.

D-rock and jsilencio like this.