1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drexler: NOT a consummate professional?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 29, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

In the car today I heard Clyde Drexler, Rockets employee and analyst, in an interview with Cheryl Miller, Amin Elhassan and some third guy. It was a "best of" interview from right after the Westbrook trade.

Here were some of his takes:

On the Westbrook trade
    Doesn't understand it. Thinks CP3 was the better player, better shooter, better point guard, better everything. One of the best players in the NBA. Westbrook has good games but is wild.

On how he and James will work together
    Doesn't see it. Doesn't get how their games will blend. Only thing he holds onto hope for is they are such good friends.

On modern NBA scoring
    Not a fan of the three point shooting. Disagrees with the Rockets about this. Thinks the midrange shot is more efficient, thinks 3 point shooting teams would lose to any efficient team from his era that shot the mid range.

One thing he would change about today's game
    Doesn't like how offensive players get rewarded for creating contact. Admitted that Harden is the master of it because he's so smart. Says he loves Harden though, not trying to hate on him.

Do other team's TV analysts publicly disagree with them so fundamentally as this lol?

Edit: to be clear, I'm not knocking Drexler for this, it was actually refreshing (even if I disagree with him) I was just stunned to hear a team employee say it.

Edit 2: Not that many here care, but he also said that he and Hakeem are great table tennis players and that they beat Daryl Morey. The hosts then tried to make fun of Morey for being a fraud about ping pong but Drex defended him and said that Morey is really good.

#1 justtxyank, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Riz, pippsux, Lawlruschang and 23 others like this.
  2. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Whatever else Drexler may be as a color man, he's not a mouthpiece for the team and you have to respect that.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Clyde is obviously suffering from GOMS: Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The irony is that the Championship rockets were the original "3 point shooting" team.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Not really. He's displayed time and time again that he really has no insight into the game, and doesn't really understand basketball at a terribly deep level. Just look at his brief coaching stint at UH if you have any doubts. He was a freak athlete (much like Westbrook ironically), but if it wasn't for Olajuwon's cerebral understanding of the game, he probably would have retired without a ring.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

If anything, Clyde playing style is more similar to WB. Surprised with hate for Russ.

They both love to run, dunk, rebound and shoot 2's. Both he and Russ were crazy athletic for their positions.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good golly, Miss Molly! Sounds like Clyde was either suddenly beset with an attack of "giving his honest opinion," which he would be deeply regretting after the fact, or he's been put on notice that his days working on air for the Rockets are coming to an end, so he was suddenly beset with an attack of, "I don't give a damn!" I love Drex, but I do wish he worked in a different part of the organization. Either way, the news is shocking, @justtxyank. Good reporting, sir!

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

he has his beliefs...I can respect his views on Westbrook and the trade although I would take Russ moving forward with no hesitation

all this talk about 3 point shooting teams and the midrange just annoys me every time

The game is different now Clyde. Ain’t no team surviving in this league shooting 10 threes a game like back in the day. The midrange shot is more efficient? Stop it...

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Made it seem like Clyde got caught up in the #metoo movement & did something wrong. Like Mark Cuban & the Mavericks...

Oh, he doesn't like the fit or today's game? Mehhhhh

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Not surprised that someone who was mediocre at best from distance thinks the 2pt shot is more efficient. From a raw make percentage it certainly is, but they DO have different points attached to them. Drexler was very similar to how Wade turned out to be so I am not the least bit surprised by his thoughts honestly.

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The mid-range point he makes is incredibly dimwitted.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think his criticism is fair.

His retort about the midrange is just wrong. No matter what you say, it isn't more efficient, there's far too much data to even make such a claim. Now, if his view is that three point shooting as volume increases loses some of its efficiency, I'll be intrigued to see if the numbers agree.

In every single post or article about WB and Harden "working" (whatever that means) they say one or both have to change their game to make it work. So, you're either telling Harden and/or WB "hey, you know the style of play that made you MVP candidates the last couple of years? Yeah, we're gonna need you not to play like that anymore." Seeing how that works is difficult, and the premise of it does require one or both to be a player that they really haven't been before. It doesn't mean it's impossible, just hard. For every Tmac there's a Vince Carter.

I don't love the contact game primarily because it relies on the superstar call. House could do all the same moves as Harden and get hacked to a no call, and in my book that's the problem, not the player who exposes the loophole.

So, I don't completely agree with Clyde, but I respect his position.

snowconeman22, napalm06 and jboslett like this.
  13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

This makes me like the trade that much more! Drexler is a bonafide hack. Never liked his opinions.

clos4life and don grahamleone like this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

as a midrange guy he's wrong. The point is not to jack up as many midrange shots as possible, its that the 3 is more efficient but eliminating it completely like rockets have is stupid.

thedreamsteam likes this.
  15. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

I heard it too. Can't hate on Drexler for having his own opinions. Everyone is entitled to one. We'll see. Personally, I don't think Vegan CP is going to turn back time. Prefer making a run for a few years with Westbrook and this new squad. Not saying we are going to win it this year but we certainly were not winning it as it was.

Reeko likes this.
  16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Funny how Robert Horry was the First Stretch Four, with 3 point shooting. With his clutch 3s.

Mario Elie The Kiss of Death 3 against the Suns at the Corner

Sam Cassell a Rookie against the Knicks in the Finals hit a Clutch 3

Kenny Smith with Clutch 3s against the Magic, was ON FIRE. FROM 3

Clyde Drexler hit a deep 3 to win a game in the regular season.

Clyde Drexler lost his memory it seems like, 1995 season, Kenny Smith on fire in the Finals

Clyde was beaten by the Rockets in 1994, with the Blazers. Vernon, Mario, Sam, Kenny, Robert all shot 3s to eliminate his sorry Blazers team.

17. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Stick to clubbing baby seals Clyde (terrible commentator)

18. JW86

JW86 Member

Drexler didn't really practice, was not committed to defense and not a good 3pt shooter. Westbrook at least goes hard every game, even though he's also not the most committed to defense and not that great at 3pt shooting either. I respect his opinion, but you have to know where it's coming from. He better keep that negativity to himself once the season starts or Tilman should fire his ass for being too negative and an idiot to boot. Westbrook will be great!

rockets1995 and thedreamsteam like this.
  19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That is not quite true. If we are just talking about making the shot vs not making it, the midrange is more efficient than a 3pt shot since it is a bit easier to make. Problem is, there are different points attached to the two shots, so the midrange becomes less efficient when points are factored in with make percentages. For a player like Drexler, he is much more likely (especially with his ugly ass shooting form) to hit a midrange jumper than a 3pt jumper. It's not surprising he thinks it is more efficient.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

On another note..I like Clyde, but he could not dribble while taking his eyes off the basketball...Sure could glide though.

UTSA2step likes this.