1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Clippers tried to acquire Harden this month

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jul 23, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

LUK3 likes this.
  2. LUK3

LUK3 Member

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

If it involved the same package as PG13 as well as Montrezz and Lou and any other sweetners, I wouldn’t be surprised if Daryl would have thought about it and considered a counter offer of them finding a team to offload CP3 in the process.

Shai, Harrell, Capela and all those picks plus whatever you can get for PJ and EG and Lou as well as cap space.

It would be a perfect rebuild situation. To be clear, before I’m called stupid, I wouldn’t do this nor want to, and in the end believe Morey wouldn’t either since we’re too close to contention. But I do believe he would have taken time to analyze it before declining.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I call bullshit on their timeline.

I believe that the Clippers asked since they were about to sell the farm for PG and figured they could see if we bit.

I don't buy that It wasn't until we got Westbrook that Harden suddenly wanted to stay.

Those two transactions don't lineup.

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Sooo, Kawhi wanted to play with Harden?

Hmmm

SF3isBack!! and RyanB like this.
  6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Then that gets turned down. Unless Morey thinks George and Harden are comparable players. I don't think they are, but it's probably closer than I'll admit.

Players like Harden are once a generation for a team, and that only if the team is paying sufficient attention to acquire them in the first place. Trading Harden should make as much sense as trying to trade Dream at his peak, though we did the article here at CF recently where the Rockets thought about doing just that. Although pre-knee injury Danny Manning would have been a hell of a player coming back in that deal.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not saying that "him or me" demand is definitely true, but if it were, Morey must have thought, "WTF? I have to get rid of one, but how the hell can I convince someone to take an aging Chris Paul and his massive contract?!?"

Gray_Jay likes this.
  8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I only saw post knee injury Danny Manning. Didn’t realize people were that high on him

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He absolutely would consider because Hail 2009 Draft!

10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

And preferably a FRP or two from another team that's not going to be drafting 26-30 for the foreseeable future.

Everything has its price. Mine for Harden probably couldn't be met by the Clippers at this juncture. But a young beast under team control would make me think about it.

So few beasts though. I don't think Zion will be one.

rgw20014life and Reeko like this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Why are we even using this garbage article when the real article that this trash is based on is available?

I'm reporting this and hope someone else posts the Athletic piece because this thread is running on fake news.

Patience likes this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

For the record, I think Morey would consider any trade for anybody on our roster. That's a GM's job: Listen to the offer and decide if it's in your team's best interest. Remember, "consider" isn't the same as "think about it seriously."

That said, it probably took his about a second to decline, seeing as how the Clips didn't have near enough to offer.

13. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

That's why Morey makes the big money... Hell of a thing to have to pull off on short notice. I have to admit, if I were in Morey's shoes, I'd have thought about John Wall before Russ, as I think I could get DC to bite a lot easier, and for less. I might even have tried to pry some talent and picks away from them in exchange for that albatross. I had no idea, because I didn't pay attention, that Russ and Harden were boys, and that OKC would consider moving WB.

topfive likes this.
  14. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Seriously this really gets reported. Clippers contacted Bulls in 1991 about Michael Jordan, breaking news. Hawks this summer inquired about LBJ. I get that in the NBA, especially this summer, that everyone is tradable but doesn’t a rumor at least have to rise to the level of this universe. Every team calls every team about everyone. I am sure Morey has a value chart on every player a lot like valuing draft picks.

Patience likes this.
  15. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If they really make the Finals, then Clippers would have a strong point of barely winning the Chris Paul trade.

Morey wouldn't trade with them again in that short span.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"And Sam Dek....wait a minute." (covers phone with hand) "He's gone? Oh, yeah." (back to phone) "Eckerton!"

"'Eckerton'? That's 'Moneyball'." (covers phone with hand) "Jerry's going senile." (back to phone) "How 'bout we give CP3 back to you instead?"

(click)

hakeem94 and topfive like this.
  18. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Consensus #1 player in college. Tore his knee up his rookie year with the Clips----so the trade would have been for post knee injury Manning---but still had a 'nice' career in the NBA: 14 years, 23/7/4 guy at his peak as a 6.10 PF. Still a big, "what might have been" guy.

19. basketballholic

NEWSFLASH: 29 teams are trying to acquire Harden all the time.

Patience likes this.
  20. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

"Hello, Daryl! How's the kids? Hey, we were wondering about the availability of James Harden...hello?"

hakeem94, House Rockets and RyanB like this.