1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Blade (Mahershala Ali)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

2. Xerobull

I gotta say that I'm both hyped with Ali in the lead role and disappointed that Snipes isn't coming back. Hopefully he gets at least a cameo spot.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Dr Shirley the vampire warrior. Okay!

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Love Ali as an actor, but this role seems like a weird fit to me.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

You'd almost have to say that Blade was nearly the end of and the savior of the comic film era. It was nearly a bad enough script to put the industry to bed for real, and yet the cgi and dissolution graphics were so innovative, and the character so far off the beaten path it inspired and ignited the spiderman franchise to do their work, and allowed the studios to have the confidence to expand into obscure superheros. It's like the movie that towed the line.

FLASH21 and B-Bob like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think it saved bankrupt Marvel as a studio, but wasn't X-Men blowing up at the time?

Batman probably holds that title. I remember hearing a podcast how one of the producers revived the franchise when everyone thought it was a joke character because of the Adam West series. He even gained ownership in order to put his dream of a serious Batman on the screen.

tinman likes this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Snipes is too old but he has legit martial arts skill
    Just wondering how they can to that level again of fighting.

Blade still stands the test of time for action films despite the terrible cgi

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He has to be ripped and have that chili bowl haircut, just has to.

TimDuncanDonaut and tinman like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Pretty excited about this one and what it can bring in. They recently put out a comic of blade v Wolverine too.

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

If he has the same presence he had as the heel in Luke Cage should be great. Saw this was scheduled dead last, for like 2022-23 and kinda need an explanation for that lol

12. PhiSlammaJamma

It hard to believe Ryan Reynolds was in Blade 20 years ago, and here he is still today rolling as Deadpool. How old is that guy?

Rocket River likes this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

hard to see blade as not wesley snipes. the only other actor that can pull that off is probably tom cruise, but he's currently got the need.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wesley should do a cameo.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think ALI will be great.
    He has the chops!

Rocket River

16. Xerobull

Look, I like Tom Cruise but let's be honest here- Blade is a black guy. I know the MCU has changed racial stuff from the comics (Asgardians are mixed int he movies) backstory would fit a lot of people but we I can't see him as anything else.

Some light reading about Blade's comic origin. I was surprised to see he was from England.

Early life and career
    [​IMG]
    Marvel Preview #3 (Sept. 1975). Painted cover art by Gray Morrow.

Blade (born Eric Brooks) was born in a whorehouse in the Soho neighborhood of London, England in 1929.[4] Eric's mother, Tara Brooks, was a prostitute at Madame Vanity's Brothel. When Tara experienced severe labor complications, a doctor was summoned who was in actuality Deacon Frost, a vampire who feasted on her during Eric's birth and killed her. However, this inadvertently passed along certain enzymes in his own blood to the infant. This resulted in Eric's quasi-vampiric abilities, including a greatly prolonged lifespan and the ability to sense supernatural creatures, as well as an immunity to complete vampirism. Brooks' fellow prostitutes drove off Frost before he could kill the infant as well.

Eric grew up living at Madame Vanity's, and at age nine, returning home from school one December, he saw an old man being attacked by three vampires. Eric helped the old man, who used a silver cane to kill the vampires and fight off the attackers. The man was Jamal Afari, a jazz trumpeter and vampire hunter who then moved into Madame Vanity's and trained the young Eric in both music and combat. Blade was soon able to defeat many of the weak, younger vampires that he and Afari found in abundance.[4] Eric became an Olympic-level athlete and a formidable hand-to-hand combatant, with an expertise in edged weapons such as knives and daggers so notable that it earned him the nickname "Blade" among both his fellow hunters and the vampires they opposed, who began to fear the young hunter.

Blade's victories made him cocky. He joined a street gang, the Bloodshadows,[5] headed by Cyrus Cutter, later killed by Blade in a knife fight caused by Blade's disapproval of Cutter's actions as leader. Glory Anah, Cutter's girlfriend, later became Blade's. Having gone to London, where for months they hunted vampires, demons, and warlocks, the group encountered a much older and more powerful vampire than any Blade had met before, named Lamia. Blade barely defeated Lamia, with the other members of the group being killed, except Glory, who was turned into a vampire whilst Blade was down. Although Glory subsequently refused to kill Blade in recognition of their relationship, she warned him never to look for her or she would kill him. The tragedy of the experience left Blade more determined than ever to dedicate his life to the complete extermination of vampires.

Afari himself later fell prey to Dracula, the first occurrence in an ongoing battle between Dracula and Blade.[6] Blade mercy-killed his mentor after Afari rose as a vampire, and tracked Dracula back to Europe, Asia Minor, and Asia, staking him many times, but never completely destroying him.[7] In China, Blade joined Ogun Strong's vampire hunters,[6] which included Azu, Orji, and Musenda. Together, they staked Dracula again. Dracula survived, and killed all the hunters except Blade and Musenda, who eventually retired from vampire hunting. Orji had created a lasting impression on Blade with his use of wooden daggers to combat vampires, leading to Blade adopting that weapon as his preferred arms. Consumed by grief for his fallen comrades, Blade resumed his quest alone.

B-Bob and Jontro like this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

BigM and Xerobull like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

donkeypunch and Jontro like this.
  19. Xerobull

I love South African culture- such an amazing melting pot of African and Euro cultures. The movie Chappie is a must-watch if you're interested.

Yeah, I thought about that when I was typing up the response.

Then there's this

#19 Xerobull, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    donkeypunch and daywalker02 like this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Snipes CURRENTLY playing Blade for an MCU director though.
    [​IMG]