1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[O'Connor] Harden may have request trade from the Rockets if Chris Paul weren't traded...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Jul 17, 2019.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Heard this from Kevin O'Connor while listening to the Ringer's podcast "the Mismatch" and thought maybe I.D.I.O.T.
    If true, I guess Morey & the Rockets had no choice but to do the deal. Furthermore, it's pretty crazy if true.

For those unfamiliar with O'Connor, he is big on analytics, draft picks, blowing it up and usually extremely positive about the Rockets & Harden, whereas his co-host Chris Vernon is usually the opposite ( i enjoy both their takes).

Edit to add source: https://www.theringer.com/2019/7/16...ple-effects-westbrook-trade-star-movement-era

2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

ive been saying that was bound to happen, but more because of the failure of the front office to get better talent around him, effectively wasting his prime.

SWTsig, itzIce, Highlyrated and 16 others like this.
  3. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

Makes sense

Highlyrated, vlaurelio and RyanB like this.
  4. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Harden needs to say something about the tax issue then. I’m sure we have and will continue to have opportunities to get better by spending $$. Fertitta has yet to go all in on that aspect though.

NateNate and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  5. hooroo

hooroo Member

arriving this late to the game... it's probably a very salty cp3 getting his people to leak this because he didn't get traded to the lakers or miami.

Huncho Bean, vlaurelio, amaru and 3 others like this.
  6. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

Should have traded Harden then

coachbadlee likes this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

"May have" as in maybe, nobody knows. This is pure speculation.

8. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Wait didn’t Harden want CP3 here to begin with? IIRC they got together after both were eliminated and that’s when CP3 decided to come here. Based off of his conversations with Harden. Why blame the FO when Harden is the one who at the very least signed off on this if not pushed for it?

Harden can change his mind for certain after a couple years and seeing paul’s play drop off. But the FO moved mountains and tons of assets to bring CP3 here at Hardens request.

malakas and Gray_Jay like this.
  9. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Is this before or after Harden said Rockets is his home? Rhetorical.

I can believe the lesser version of this where Harden told the management to replace CP3 with another star.

10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Agreed... asides from CP3, Harden, Morey and Tilman, nobody really knows. Ultimately a lot of the stories we here from journalists, even those we trust, involve a significant level of speculation, both from the journalist themselves and/or their source.

But in this case, I tend to believe O'Connor is reporting what he believes to be true. He's always been extremely positive about Harden/Rockets, has a reputation as a good journalist and isn't some attention w**** like Chris Broussard.

Lastly, I don't know if the CP3/Harden problems were to this degree, but from all the leaks, stories the past few months - I definitely believe their were PROBLEMS.

#10 blahblehblah, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    CCity Zero and Gray_Jay like this.
  11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Vernon has always been anti-Houston, but he has also historically been pro-Westbrook. Although he's laughing at the irony of analytics nerds / Houston fans having to do an about face, he's also secretly internally conflicted now, having to root for Westbrook in silence.

Sajan likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's what Goodwill said

13. HP3

HP3 Member

Believe Tucker and Rivers that this was completely overblown, not to mention the Rockets even AFTER trading him said the tension wasnt as bad as anyone made it out to be. O'Coonor i great but given what the actual players have said I tend to believe them over anyone else, especially Tucker.

harold bingo likes this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The Ringer has the goods. On the latest BS Podcast with Zach Lowe, one of them (I think Bill) mentioned Fert’s upcoming book Shut up and Listen and both agreed Morey won’t be there very long. DMo is close with BS so I’m guessing that’s telling.

malakas likes this.
  15. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

this owner is really going to destroy the Rockets :(

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well if we traded Harden then Tilman would avoid the tax, so it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world

17. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

LOL yes.

He's admitted on the podcast multiple times to hating watching Harden's game, while conversely loving watching Westbrooks "drive" and "will". I still like Vernon though, his grouchy takes are really entertaining especially when opposed by O'Connor's often optimistic ones.

I also couldn't believe he wasn't a 60+ year old black guy lol judging from his voice and personality.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

Ehhh, thats a lot of speculation, Bill Simmons most of the time just throws crap at the wall and sees what sticks. Most of his takes are wrong, and the guy just spins his own narratives.

superfob, mike2k132 and BigShasta like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Pffff ..Lets see choose between Harden or Paul? Hmmmm. That was easy! POF's are really, really mad now!
    [​IMG]

20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Good point about the Rockets comments AFTER the trade, but not sure if I'll give much credence to what Rivers and Tucker were saying back in late June, early July... PRIOR to the trade.

Players have an incentive to cover for their teammates... keep the problems "IN HOUSE." Players on the Rockets were saying Harden/Howard had no problems for the longest time, just like players on the Spurs were saying Kawhi/Spurs were great also. Even the Shaq/Kobe drama was down played for years until it couldn't be.

Gray_Jay, Hakeemtheking and subtomic like this.