1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Discussing the Russell Westbrook Blockbuster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 14, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I imagine Tyson being more like Camby than Mutombo....nobody is Mutombo except Mutombo.....:)

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

"Welcome to the podcast! ehm...this is basically going to be a little bit of a therapy session"

lmao :D

3. basketballholic

Significant assumptions yes. But ALL those assumptions were just two assumptions that you and others are assuming the exact opposite.

The other side of this coin is we have to hope Paul isn't healthy and his play deteriorates further in order to feel good about this trade.

And that tells us all we need to know here.

When the 99ers and 00ers and 01ers are having to talk each other back in off the ledge and contort their words and statements to come up with language of support for the trade (higher ceiling/ lower floor, one player is going to continue to deteriorate while the other won't for a while, etc.) then we have entered the TWILIGHT ZONE with this team and the Harden era.

By the way, Paul's skills "deteriotiation" has been greatly exaggerated. Paul suffered with an elbow issue most of the season that affected his shooting and made it difficult for him to shoot off the move. He was dinged.

And Paul is physically diminished at his age. But the odds are just as bad that Westbrick will blow a tendon in one of his legs. And Westbrook is already dinged himself. And he doesn't have any skills to deteriorate. Had never had them.

I personally hope that Paul doesn't matriculate to the Lakers or Clippers come Dec 15th and is then healthy in May for a playoff series against us. Because if he is... he will destroy Westbrook in that scenario. Paul will totally clown him if he gets the chance.

So we're down to rooting for Paul's physical deterioration and continued injuries so we can feel good justifying just the player exchange.

And i haven't even mentioned the picks....

#23 basketballholic, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  4. basketballholic

Short memory.

He was nails in 2018 even hurt.

I've never known what a smart, efficient, good shooting, low turnover, great defending Westbrook looks like.

ThatBoyNick, daywalker02 and Deckard like this.
  5. 1234567

1234567 Member

Like the trade or call it the worst ever.

DOES NOT MATTER.

What matters is..... Keep your one and only superstar happy or get the PG13 treatment and if you think a boatload of picks will make you happy while waiting for a rebuild than don't listen to your star. AFTER ALLL, THIS ISN'T A PLAYER DRIVEN LEAGUE AT ALL.... NOT.

6. basketballholic

The only thing that matters

Is winning championships.

Fans of a TEAM do not care about keeping guys happy and not winning championships. They'd rather all the players be pissed off and winning championships (Bulls/ MJ/Scottie) than players happy and not winning championships.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's not the same NBA of today.

We're talking 20+ years later in an era where teaming up with other stars to pursue championships have been made acceptable thanks to the Heatles.

Winning rings is all that matters yes,but you have to consider the players affection towards wanting to play with each other in an effort to win said rings, these days.

8. basketballholic

If you're winning championships with friends that's fine. If you're not it's not.

That's why I'm going to keep saying..

THIS HAD BETTER WORK!!!!

9. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

QFT.... End of debate - we had to do it

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think in a vacuum, with relation to this teams construct, CP3 is the better fit and player if back to his more efficient self.

The problem is we dont live in a vacuum. Poor shooting years has been historically paired with bad chemistry, turmoil and disdain, especially FT%.

I think this year both players see an increase in efficiency.

What I do know is, whether you think cp3 is better or not, is he isnt reliable anymore. He couldnt lead this team anymore as the backup option either.

We gave him the reins against opposing 2nd units 2 years ago and it worked beautifully. He has historic iso numbers to match with Harden.

Last year, he was not vewting his man. His man was a backup player most times. He could not lead the 2nd unit anymore and especially not the 1st unit when Harden was out.

For every bad thing Westbrook possesses, he can absolutely lead the 2nd unit and take over for Harden if need be. Harden can afford more rest. Harden can afford to miss games.

I think what we may be forgetting about also is all the tracking data the rockets use. That very well may have been what scared Morey the most in regards to cp3s decline.

11. amaru

amaru Member

Like I said, I almost can’t remember the last time that saw a healthy Chris Paul.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Love this podcast, would have LOVED to do this one with you. I need that therapy.....

:)

DD

Deckard likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great podcast @Clutch and @BimaThug. I liked the point made about the extra year on Westbrook's contract which could entail the Rockets being in the repeater LT. Stands to reason that RW will not finish on this team through the duration of that deal.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Also, Give it up for *G League Finals MVP,* Isaiah Hartenstein!

dmoneybangbang and Clutch like this.
  15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Good stuff, thank you guys.

Honest question...

If this blows up in the negative, do you think it’s possible that the Rockets may think a title will not happen, therefore look to trade both Harden and Westbrook?

Not saying it would happen, or that I would want it to, but it wouldn’t shock me if it did. I don’t see the team paying out big dollars for a team they feel won’t be in contention. After next season you’d probably get the most you could for both guys.

Not that I don’t want to focus on next year and the positives, but I still wonder.

Hopefully this works, the Rockets win a title and it doesn’t even matter.

16. basketballholic

Like I said....we've seen a healthy Chris Paul infinitely more often and infinitely more recently than we have ever seen a smart, efficient, good shooting, good defending, low turnover Rust Westbrick.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  17. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

He looks like a guy going out in the 2nd round.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Oh so negative you two. Lol we're winning it all with these two beast.

Great podcast as usual Clutch and BimaThug

19. gotsis

gotsis Member

On point 2 - to be fair Harden has been mostly right on his assessments: Dwight declined and may be out of the league, Melo (if accounts that Harden asked to cut him) is also one foot out of the league and CP3 has created bad relationships throughout all teams he's been on. At some point Paul has to be kept accountable for not being able to connect with different personalities, this is part of being a veteran leader.

Not to mention that although CP3 is still the better player, if he regresses more this season we will have won the trade.

macho GRANDE, arkoe and RichieBanks like this.
  20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

What advanced stats? Westbrook had a significantly higher VORP, as well as a higher BPM and WS than Paul.