1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Signed my dad for car insurance, he gets into a wreck a week later.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

The car insurance (Allstate) is still taking money out of my card without my authorization. They took $150 last week. How could i fight this given that its not even under my name? Is there a way to get my money back? All that was given to them was my dads information and my card. That was it. I didnt even tell them to use my card for future payments. It was all done verbal and no contract was signed online or offline. Help please

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

Dispute the charges with your CC company.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

I gave them my debit card info. Is that the same thing ?

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's a Visa, right? Either way you can dispute via Visa or your bank.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't get it... You don't want to be covered for the wreck?

justtxyank likes this.
  6. Juxtaposed Jolt

OP, you gave Allstate your debit card info...but you didn't want to be on the hook, financially, if something happened?

I'm confused. We need more information.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, need some holes filled in this story.

Outlier likes this.
  8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

So who is more of the dumb ass, you or your dad?

Outlier likes this.
  9. Outlier

Outlier Member

So it was a cheap car. My dad totaled the car by hitting a road structure because of his stroke. Car was totaled. His insurance wouldnt cover that since it was his fault. It was then his responsibility to cut the insurance off. But it didnt happen so here we are. Im just appalled the insurance company can continue charging me with no written agreement.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like just having liability insurance. Second, since payment was initially made with your card maybe they checked a box in their system to use for future payments? My recommendation, request from your bank not to let the insurance company withdraw anymore payments from your card plus dispute the previous charges.

Also, it's Allstate, what do you mean no agreement was in place? Usually they give you insurance for 6 months segments, so I'm not understanding what you mean by not having an agreement. Usually shitty insurance companies are the ones that agree to do month by month deals, not familiar with Allstate doing that.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

What im saying is it was all done over the phone as far as agreement goes, and nothing was signed. I didnt know it could be like that.

12. body slam

body slam Member

what exactly did you agree to

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

It was my dad who agreed to the plan over the phone, i gave my card to pay for the first payment, not agreeing to use the same card for the payments after. They said they would email my dad for the contract and that he should sign and return. He never did this. Yet the plan continued.

14. body slam

body slam Member

sounds like you got signed up for automatic draw and no one canceled the insurance?

Nook likes this.
  15. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yes so i was wondering since no paper was signed or e-signed, is it possible that the insurance company is in the wrong here?

16. body slam

body slam Member

call the insurance company and talk to them. I don't know if I would go the no contract route. They might say if there was no contract they are not liable to cover damages your father caused.

good luck

Outlier and calcium like this.
  17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Im not concerned over the car. the car is gone. Its just the fact that ive paid $400 over three months on his plan that there was never a signed contract for. Thanks for your advice

body slam likes this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It was verbal though. I know when I've set up my insurances over the phone they usually have a statement in there, "do you authorize to..." and usually I will say yes and everything is taken care off. I haven't received a paper in the past that made it official. Same with other companies I've dealt with over the phone, like electric, water, etc.

I don't think you have an argument that there was not a contract. I think your pops likely agreed to it over the phone. The other portion is that when you used your debit card, this was the automatically assumed payment for the rest of the term unless it was stated otherwise. My guess is that your pops didn't mention anything and that's why you are on the hook for the other two months.

It sounds like to me that your dad is the one that owes you those two months and not the insurance company. The car was insured through these last few months. My guess is if your dad would of hit somebody and liability had to cover the damages your dad made to someone else's property that you probably wouldn't be arguing about some contract that you don't believe exists.

I think you have to settle this with your dad and not your insurance company. The other deal, if insurance has not been canceled then go ahead and cancel.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This is really a confusing situation as you explained it. You spoke to Allstate about getting insurance for your father's car and gave them your card info for payment. When someone gets insurance the company provides them with policy information either via regular mail or email. Have you spoken with Allstate about wanting to cancel the plan? What does your agent say? Are you sure they didn't mail stuff and your dad simply ignored it?

Nook likes this.
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

You would have had to file an alternative payment type... or of course they would use the payment you used to set up the account...