1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[July 2019] Do you like the CP3 for Westbrook trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sajan, Jul 11, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Oct 11, 2019.
  1. Yes

509 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. No

164 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It was mainly between Jimmy Butler, now Russell Westbrook and some minor star (Al Horford - Niko Vucevic who signed elsewhere).

plutoblue11 likes this.
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

1. Team willing to take on cp3s contract
    2. Guard for guard swap
    3. Costs 2 firsts
    4. Wants to play here

Like none

plutoblue11 and Yung-T like this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Jimmy on paper would've been a great fit, but his ugly leave from CHI and his tenure at Philly really turned the narrative and make me question his drive/teamplayer mentality.

Horford would be a great fit, how could we make it work salary-wise?

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Capela and Gordon were rumored to be on the trade block IIRC.

And some Celtic Guy already tweeted Capela done deal but that was obviously wrong.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is a good short term move.

CP3 wanted team ball and Harden wanted hero ball. Team ball wins you championships, but that was't going to happen under CP3. There is no point in dividing the team down to the lowest common denominator. I personally like CP3 much more than I do Harden, but CP3 had to go. Unfortunately with CP3's contract, you're not going to get anything good in return.

With Westbrick, the entire NBA is on notice with what kind of team Houston is. Houstons role players are no longer divided on what kind of ball the team should be playing. We will not keep talented role players for long. Harden and Westbrick simply do not trust their team mates on the floor and no talent is going to stick around to stand along the perimeter waiting for the that 2 second shot clock chucked off to them so Harden and Westbrick are not forced to make a shot that will further hurt their stat.

We are now, at best, a 2nd round exit team. I predict a 2nd round exit this year and a 1st round exit the following year (given the current team).

Lar likes this.
  6. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I like this trade. Westbrook never vanishes in any game regular season or playoff. He is a competitor. CP3 vanished in the GSW series until the last game. Something was clearly wrong in the dynamic. This could be epic good or bad but they had to get CP3 out of Houston. He isn't what he used to be. 34, injury prone and declining. How many of you winced each time CP3 limped off the court? I know I did. I don't wish him ill but the Rockets were better when CP3 was on the bench.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't think a player that jacks up shots despite not being able to shoot helps us.

Plus I really dislike his personality.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I saw that coming unfortunately, the CP3 deal always seemed too much of a gamble for a 30+yr old with a huge injury and playoff stinker history.

One of the moves where Morey really seemed to desperate to bring in a big name, no matter the costs.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

*Added*

All of the above.

10. Aware

Aware Member

i respect it. The possibility that this blows up in our faces is there, but i'm glad were still about trying to win now.

rusHour likes this.
  11. watashi315

watashi315 Member

With CP3, his health, lack of athleticism, and different playing philosophy will keep us from a championship. With Westbrick, his poor shot selection, terrible 3pt shooting, and hero ball mentality will also keep us from a championship. I say we neither won nor lost in this trade. It's a wash.

12. basketballholic

For his career Westbrook is shooting 37% from midrange. And he's taken 45% of his shots from there.

He's a career 59% at the rim while taking only 35% of his shots there. And he's a career 31% from 3 while only taking 20% of his shots from there.

While his career usage is 32% and his TS is 53% while averaging over 4 turnovers a game.

Russell Westbrook's midrange game is deadly. He has personally assured that the Thunder never win a title by his deadly midrange game and his inefficient selfishness.

This is the ultimate gamble. It feels like desperation. Like the dude making his last stand at the poker table with a pair of deuces and going all in. This is as ANTI- ANALYTIC as it can get. This is as ANTI- MOREY as it gets.

Im not going to trash the trade.......yet. I'm going to wait and see. But everything in me is screaming NO presently.

There has to be more. Iggy? We gonna bring Iggy and his broke jumper now? Don't see it. We now have 2 guys in our top 5 that cannot shoot. Capela can't shoot at all. And Westbrook can't shoot efficiently. Wanna add Iggy to that? I don't. We just increased our NEED for bombers in our rotation. Tucker is a limited shooter himself.

For us to win a championship Westbrook has to become something he hasn't been for his entire 11- year career. He has to become deadly to the opponent and not to his own team. He's got the talent to do it. But will he?

I can't stop rooting for my team. But this is a gut punch for me. I have to admit it. We need other pieces. We still need 2 upgrades to win a championship with Russ modifying his game tremendously. Without upgrades this is a worse team than last season as currently constructed.

Gray_Jay, rusHour and YOLO like this.
  13. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Have you heard anything on the Kyle Korver to Houston front? I believe getting some pure shooters should be a priority.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Younger, taller, and more explosive. Grab another 3&D and the amount of space we'll have for Russ and James to exploit will be amazing.

15. basketballholic

Nope. I haven't heard much of anything this summer. Heard a lot during the season about Winslow. Heard a little after the season about Love, Otto Porter, Bogdanovic. But nothing close to last summer. Got a little draft info (Johnson/ Thybulle). But not much else.

Rasheed likes this.
  16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I am so hyped now and can’t wait to see when Capela and PJ are boxing out and Russ and Harden are fighting for the rebounds in the game and the reactions of Cluthfans will be absolutely gold.

17. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

There's potential, who doesn't like potential? Now if the Rockets get something like a first round or non-competitive 2nd round exit, then there's questions and a reason for dislike. For now though there's the hope that everyone buys in, Westbrook's shooting returns and MDA is tougher as a coach.

18. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

I thought Korver was going to Philly?

19. JW86

JW86 Member

The other reason I like it: this will truly show who both Harden & Westbrook are. If it blows up, both are at fault and will never win as main guys and we can look into trading both as you know someone will pay up. I rather force Harden to adjust then let this continue as if Harden is blameless just because he puts up the numbers, is loyal etc. Harden is the common denominator in all these problems with players so he better make this work.

vlaurelio likes this.
  20. DLX94

DLX94 Member

Not sure if this would work, but media felt the same when we traded for Chris. Daryl just needs to find a decent backup to Clint and PJ.