1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[July 2019] Do you like the CP3 for Westbrook trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sajan, Jul 11, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Oct 11, 2019.
  1. Yes

509 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. No

164 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Just wasnt feeling it with Paul anymore. He had his chance. It didnt work out.

For us to get Westbrook for Paul has me interested in the Rockets again. This is so compelling!

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Got younger and better. I appreciated what CP3 did on the court, but at 34 and already worn down its a move this team had to make to contend *right now*. Now we need a defensive big for weakside help. The front office promised fireworks, and they delivered.

btw... Westbrook is a very good rebounder as a guard.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

What is this based on?
    Westbrook FG
    3-10 FT 21%
    10-16 FT 33%
    16 FT -3 pt 35%

CP3 FG:
    3-10 FT 40%
    10-16 FT 47%
    16 FT -3 pt 56%

And last year was a down year for CP3 lol his shooting is like almost double WB's across the board. I dunno how you somehow think PF is a problem when PJ Tuckker was one of the best pfs last year. I think what'll happen is the team will be a grit and grind team, we will leverage on WB's aggressiveness and leadership and Harden will revert to his sidekick and give a lot of his shots to WB. We will chuck a ton of shots and not make a lot of them, but we're hoping the scrappiness and overall activity of the team somehow get a W. IMO that' show it's gonna play down as WB will take a lot of shots despite being a downright horrible shooter.

BaselineFade likes this.
  4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

You have to know:

No team want to take CP3.

Thank you the friendship between WB and Harden.

Hakeemtheking and Sanctity like this.
  5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I consider this a lateral move at best meaning another 2nd round or WCF exit. Would love to be surprised. I do think WB is still able to be traded at a greater value than CP3 so even if this ends up being a one year failed experiment, there's still greater value with him than CP3 at this point.

I just don't consider Westbrook a smart basketball player and given the 4th quarter collapses that already occurred last year without him, I don't know that he would be the type to stop the hemorrhaging during a scoring drought or in need of a defensive stop.

What I do like is that he's younger than CP3, is better at boards, is still one of the best slashers in the lane and likely won't sit out for 20-30 games nursing a hamstring injury.

With Bzdelik's absence, I do have concerns about the Rockets defense and still would like to get a better backup C like Brooke Lopez to throw a wrinkle in the Rocket's offense and also be competent enough to cover up the deficiencies of Capela when he's having an off night. Relying on Nene to carry the load for 15-20 minutes a night again exclusively for the post season just doesn't sit well with me.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is only a good rebounder as his big men boxed out for him and he ignored playing defense to hunt for boards. There's been lots of analysis done on how WB gets his rebs and pretty much everyone agrees it is due to stat padding.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Match-made in heaven...

I can’t think of a more perfect player to help Westbrook thrive.

8. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

WB’s intensity is what this team lacks.

Hakeemtheking, dcfma and dc rock like this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Someone help me understand how two totally ball dominant elite level shot creators who struggle at offball movement and spot up can co-exist in the same backcourt.

Will we either have the most insanely uptempo offense of all time, or will we try to minimize the time Harden and Westbrook are on the floor together?

YOLO likes this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

? Do you think Russ is a good defender? I think CP1.5 is a lot better in general.

11. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

CP3 is not going to stay in OKC?

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Russell's defense is an oxymoron

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

we finally went all in and only gave up 2 protected picks for it.

CP3 is gonna kill us though.. lol

hopefully he doesn't get bought out until next year cuz you just know he's gonna go sign on either LA teams for vet min.

14. NewRoxFan

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Two things I'm not sure if I'm being optimistic about or not

1. Isn't Russ a better fit than Paul with the ball in his hands for our drive and 3s offense? He's not a great 3 point shooter but he's much better at getting to the lane and kicking out to open shooters than Paul was at this age

2. Did Harden really kick it out to CP3 for open 3s that often? Wasn't it more of help from PJ's man in the corner or Gordon's man from the elbow? And shouldn't that still be effective if Harden attacks the non Russ side?

16. NewRoxFan

Since no one rebounds on the defensive boards as it is, Westbrook should have plenty of chances...

peleincubus likes this.
  17. Rocket_Man_2.0

Worry about rebuilding when it's time rebuild...Harden is in his prime and I want to win now!! CP3 was cooked, barely played...westbrook is mr durable..with Westbrook Rockets extended their championship window! A former superstar(CP3) for an actual superstar(Westbrook) is a good trade!

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. Elienator

Elienator Member

I don’t think it makes the Rockets better this year, but it makes them better the next few years after and extends the window. I don’t mind giving up the picks as the Rockets haven’t drafted well. So I do think it was a win in that sense.

However, Westbrook doesn’t seem like a great fit and in the universe of possible moves over the next few years it’s not one I’m all that excited about. One thing the Rockets have done is shown the ability to adjust their game to maximize the personnel they have, so maybe they’ll figure out a way to make it work better than I’m expecting.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Russ is a manic defender, much like his shot selection. It's really just a series of wild gambles that averages out to "Allright then".

Ugh. I bet Morey is drinking a lot of Pepto tonight.

peleincubus and Jayzers_100 like this.
  20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I ABSOLUTELY Love this trade. *No Sarcasm*

Morey found the best move on the table, again. Moved CP3 contract for top 7 to top 14 player without moving any reasonable assets.

Harden/Westbrook Reunion. The last time these to played together in a season. They were in the NBA Finals. Granted, they had KD, too.

But, he's injured and we have a far better GM and coach with much better surrounding talent.

Name a player of Westbrook's caliber could we have gotten for CP3's contract?

We can conceivably beat the Warriors, now. We can challenge both LA teams and possibly beat them with Russ.

Super Morey does it, again. Trust the Morey.

Go Rockets!!! Go Rockets!!!