1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russell Westbrook can finish at the rim and make the pick and roll deadly

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 11, 2019.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Chris Paul, as good as he is, can't run the pick and roll like he used to. He cannot finish at the rim anymore, and was always small to begin with.

Other than James Harden, the Rockets didn't really have guards who could truly attack the rim. That changes with Russell Westbrook.

Mike D'Antoni's system is based on the pick and roll. Westbrook should thrive in his system.

Chris Paul also liked to slow the game down. One thing the Rockets have been wanting to do is play faster. Speed it up especially on fast breaks. You already know Westbrook loves to run and try to get easy buckets on the fast break. He can really help the Rockets pick up the pace in transition and get a lot of easy buckets for everyone whether it's his ability to finish at the rim, or kicking it out to Gordon on the wing or Tucker in the corner.

The more I think about it, the more I think Russell Westbrook will be absolutely deadly in this system with the players around him.

forchette49, Smacktle, Cdub37 and 3 others like this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Honestly, I think Harden needs to work on moving without the ball and his catch-and-shoot game.

This will allow Westbrook to iso, penetrate and then draw defenders (like Harden's defender) in, so that Westbrook can kick it out for a wide open Harden 3.

3. bmd

bmd Member

Another thing I just thought of... you have a guy next to Harden who can on any given night go off for 40+ points. Having two guys on the same team who can just go off like that on any given night is a huge positive.

4. thekad

thekad Member

Go under the pick.

Brick.

HakeemOnlyFan and BigM like this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I laughed.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  6. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Russell (Westbrook) is an elite all-nba talent

7. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Two Double Triple Double players on the same team...that's interesting

8. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Ego was pretty solid at attacking the rim. Harden also is just as guilty if not more for the pace so I don’t see that changing with harden on the court. I
    Think WB definitely adds more wrinkles and dimension the the offense. But he’s just terrible in almost every area that’s important to the existing offense. 3’s, FT’s and ISO’s. At the rim and rebounding he is elite.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Having Westbrook bring the ball up the court and speed up the tempo should be a good look.

He can attack or find his choice of shooters or capela at the rim.

And always having one of Westbrook or Harden on the court with those contrasting styles will be interesting.

I like it because the defense can't really settle in and defend a certain style all game.

10. icewill36

icewill36 Member

im so curious to see how Mike D is going to do this offense. i really wish we didnt fire his staff though. that still irks me. it was such an emotional, irrational decision.