1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to rethink our strategy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jontro, Jul 6, 2019.

?

rebuild?

1. #runitback

31.7%
  2. we can take the clips

31.7%
  3. can we even beat the bucks?

12.2%
  4. blow it up

24.4%
  1. Denovo

Denovo Member

Lmaooo I appreciate this optimism

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

There’s nothing wrong with the system we have. The only thing tailored to battle the warriors was our switch everything defense. The offense is designed to beat any team with the best iso player in the game. The switch heavy defense still works with most of these teams but whereas before we would have traded Capela since he was a non factor against the warriors, I think he becomes vital again to match up with these teams. Keep the core unless a major upgrade becomes available and add depth.

CP3
    Gordon
    Harden
    PJ
    Cap

Rivers
    House
    Green
    (a defensive 3 or 4) to throw against LBJ, Klaw, PG

Not favorites but I’m good with that given the lay of the land

BeBreezy likes this.
  3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Blow it up & trade Harden. If the LAC can give up that many draft picks for PG. We'll do even better with Harden. We need a different culture

Jontro likes this.
  4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

No no I was just saying no team out there today is as a good as the Warriors team we have been trying to beat. Soo everyone needs to calm down.

Jontro likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rethink strategy? Make adjustments?
    No, they'll double down.
    We're just gonna play our game, just gonna run it back.

6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Tell me why I’m wrong. You guys act like losing to the greatest team of all time 3 years in a row is a bad thing. I wasn’t expecting anyone to be able to beat them except themselves. Which ultimately just took 4 injuries...

None of these new teams are anywhere close to being as good as the Warriors team we lost to. Like calm down. How do these parts even fit.

Our size won’t matter as much if we won’t have to switch everything since PG and Kawhi run more ISOs. Same with Lebron.

Everyone’s got two all stars now. Warriors use to have 5....

Rox>Mavs likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

ah ok. but you dun think this clips team (on paper and theoretically) can be just as good if not a better playoff team than a prime gsw team?

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I don’t agree with trading Harden.... yet. We have no idea how the LA teams are going to work, albeit the Clippers look like a sure bet.

-The Lakers don’t scare me one bit.
    -The Warriors are a massive regular season question mark.
    -Utah looks really really good but major changes regardless
    -Blazers and Nuggets are basically the same talent level
    -OKC and NOLA rebuilding
    -Dallas likely a year or two away

However... I think if the Rockets gets off to a slow start, and or it looks like the Clippers and another team or two are sure bet world beaters, I think you look at trades for moving CP3 first, and then June/July of 20 would be the ideal time to get a massive haul for Harden.

I think your best time to trade CP3 would be to find a deal with a team that feels like they are super super close and just are a vet playmaker away. Not sure if the Bucks could do it. But a team like that getting CP3 off our books first is key. See what you have post CP3 if you can move him, and then after the season the Rockets would be in great shape to jump start a rebuild with a Harden deal.

For now, I think we have till Jan/Feb to see what the hell the West looks like with this massive shakeup. I still think there is a potential for luck and a sliver of a window. No reason to not at least take the first half of the season to see if that sliver is there.

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely not. It’s about fit. Neither Kawhi or George are as good at playing off ball as Steph and Klay. The reason the warriors team was soo dynamic cuz they had the 3 best shooters in the league on same team and constantly ran a motion offense that just wore teams down with all the switching. Kawhi and George have some redundancy and they ISO way more. And they have no center at this moment.

I don’t even think George and Kawhi are better than KD and Steph. Not to mention they also had iggy green and klay..

Jontro and BeBreezy like this.
  10. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

WHy are y’all still
    Sleep on GSW??????

11. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Feigen not mincing words:

This also drops the Rockets, a team that lives to aggressively chase change, going from run it back to running in place, unaltered from last season while others have become the Western Conference favorites general manager Daryl Morey declared his team to be less than two weeks ago.

12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Looney
    Green
    Livingston
    Russell
    Curry

Doesn’t strike fear into my heart. Playoff team but not a top contender imo.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Well, I mean, we’ve literally done almost nothing. And not just that, but unless House is playable in the playoffs, our ability to add a quality player with our remaining MLE looks questionable at best.

It’s still early, but does adding Iggy alone really get us close enough? I’m not sure.

Feels like we need 2 quality additions BEFORE the season starts.

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

Was that the strategy? Really?

I think the strategy was to add players, it just didn't happen.

15. xaos

xaos Member

If we are essentially going to come back with the same players, we absolutely need to drop the one-on-one game. The best team now has two of the best on ball defenders. We have to get back to a motion offense

16. jch1911

jch1911 Member

#runitbackwithRoCo

treyk3 likes this.
  17. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Yes it turns out doing absolutely nothing is not a very productive game plan

18. RyanB

RyanB Member

this

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This reminds me of a better version of the declining Tmac Yao days where they (+bad lingering CD deals) hogged up all the cap space and we went shopping for dented cans and expired past-due assets.

They would over perform out the gate only to realize they were tradebait, and started to suck right before deadline. Afterwards, they'd overperform again only to break down in round 1.

This year: Assess chemistry damage done by leaks, figure out our new rivals, then decide how many players away we really are by the deadline.

With CP3's contract, we #LockedandBLoaded

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

We'll be fine - with better coaching...

This team has shown flashes of brilliance with Harden on the bench... with CP3 running the show and the Green House effect out and running we've actually looked like a good team without Harden at times....

The key is to get the most return out of every player... if we jockey the gameplan to most optimize Harden - but diminish everyone elses contribution in the process - that'll win you a lot of reg season games - but aint gonna carry you through the playoffs and to a championship...

We need an inside option...

We need to run as a team - instead dribbling as one... we need to have everyone engaged for the entirety of games - not standing around watching the shot clock run down or watching isos or hanging around at mid court - engaged!

We need to get this team operating as a team - not 'cornerstones and roleplayers' - because you never know who might get the hot hand on any given night...

I believe MDA could do the job... just a question of if he still has the stones to have the hard conversations...

ronclone likes this.