1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When is this organization gonna shut up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Royce White is that you?

This is a business, if they don't want to play in the NBA they can go to China. These are professional athletes that get paid millions. No one is going to coddle these dudes. He never went on national TV to claim we were getting Butler. Stop watching ESPN if you can't tell the real from the fake news. He could have simply been doing his due diligence (which is his job,silly) to see if it was possible. ESPN puts their own spin. I think a lot of you should be mad at yourselves for setting expectations so high knowing we literally have not much cap space at all, limited flexibility. Everybody is complaining about CP3 but t everyone was happy when we received him. We all knew him accepting a trade here was contingent on getting that contract.

"There is a right & wrong way of doing business, and Morey doesn't get that. All he knows is numbers on a calculator"

Oh is that right? This is a moot point but I doubt he uses an actual calculator. They do have spread sheets you know. You said there is a right and wrong of doing business, but how is what we do any different than any other team? You all just personally dislike Morey for no other reason I can think of than you don't understand how the business works. That is the nicest way I'm going to put it. Crying about human interaction like wtf? What you want Morey to do? Walk around holding these players jocks. Either you are about winning or you will be replaced for an upgrade, period. We don't have time to coddle feelings my guy. If they are not strong enough to play here we don't need them. Human interaction my ass Jimmy Crackcorn is literally running from his family. lol :rolleyes:

airflights92 likes this.
  2. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

Think three times as much, do twice as much, and talk half as much.

zksb09, cheke64, SWTsig and 1 other person like this.
  3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

He never went on TV & announced anything, but he sure does LEAK information about players we're looking to give up in trades for superstars. Nobody is asking for him to coddle anybody. But when he throws his own guys under the bus so publicly, should he not be held accountable when players don't wanna come here? He CLEARLY didn't study morals & ethics at MIT

4. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

If players are worried about being traded, we dont want them. Its part of the business. My suggestion to these type of players is to make yourself worthy of not being traded.

Its always secure the bag, blah, blah, blah. Well quit crying and play the damn game. Because if you were really that good it wouldnt even be questioned. I refuse to be butt hurt because my team tried to improve. How do you even know it was Morey leaking? It could be other teams and agents spilling leaks.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

So, does it seem we've been chasing the Holy Grail for Tilman? When maybe a trip or two to Ben Bridge would have paid off better?

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure what everyone is bellyaching about. To even be in the conversations with major stars in Free Agency, teams generally need a NBA legend in the FO, be highly marketable city, and/or a legendary franchise. Even in this "stars choose their teams" era, that generally holds true. And most of the exceptions are due to trade.

All the talk is is not for us fans in any way, its Morey's way of having the Rockets staying in the conversation. Unless Morey uses his bravado and social media to talk up the Rockets, they become totally forgotten in any conversation.

Plus, Morey is already disliked by portions of the NBA front offices for having a bigger platform than many other GM's while not having played and being a stats guy. Going quiet won't likely change any other teams/agents/players who dislike and avoid working with Morey & Rockets.

Also, whenever Morey/Rockets are quiet, most of the media and national narrative only pays attention to the Rockets when they can take shots at them or dismiss whatever they achieved:

They took shots at Harden when he got here becuase he won't become a star and how OKC won the trade, after he was here because it won't become anything, and now because his game is bad for the team and his personality is driving away CP3 after DH.

Even before Harden, the Rockets were forgotten nationally after the Hakeem-Barkley-Drexler era, and heck even during it because it was not Jordan no one really expected them win ever. They were consider to be making huge gambles on Steve Francis trade and Yao. Yao was never really given the amount of respect in the media and nationally he should have. McGrady was lambasted throughout national press even before he lost most of the Rockets fan base.

bj3175 and RayRay10 like this.
  7. BreakYoSelfFool

The Rockets had their pick of Free Agents. Who would you pick in that situation? Will you shut up after we finish the sign and trade for Kawhi?

8. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I just wish we could get more control over the narrative. When Austin and P.J. were on Espn that was the only time I really seen we had the players perspective of the negative media attention on our team addressed. We need a little more of this and less of Morey directly. We need him to speak up for the points you made but the players need to show their loyalty and shoulder some weight to some of this. Morey can drive the message he just doesn't need to be the one delivering it all the time

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Gotta love a nerd with confidence... Its their time now!

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

By players though, you mean star players. The issue for the Rockets historically is that none of their star players have very seemed to love the limelight and being the face of this team. Some helped build their personal brand, but that is different. Even after their playing careers were done, most of the greats have stepped away from the main stage or not shown the ability to lead a team/franchise. They have been able to stay involved as mentors or announcers, but to change a Franchise's destiny you need a larger presence.

Without a star who can/will do that, there is little that the Rockets' role players can do.

bj3175 likes this.
  11. bj3175

bj3175 Member

You are right.

12. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I think this is more Fertitta than Morey. I still believe in Morey

ChrisP likes this.
  13. Remlap

Remlap Member

There is a motto in sales: "Underpromise and Overdeliver"

Instead, the Rockets seem to do it the other way around

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If the Rockets pulled off Leonard out of the blue, I would never doubt a single member in the organization ever again. But, it's not happening.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

What are you talking about? Everyone speaks, the media tends to selectively pick story lines and comments that'll grab attention.

It's easier to hate us than root for us because we're not an underdog type of team. Tillman and Morey can say what they want but it's clear their comments haven't led to any significant signings or trades... Yet.

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Sure seems like you’re interjecting your own personal opinion about how we should do business and taking that as fact.

If the way Morey and the FO operates rubs quality players, coaches, and agents the wrong way, to the point where it does in fact hamper their ability to attract them, then who gives a damn how you feel about it?

You talk big as if your opinion that this team wouldn’t want players like that anyway but no offense, wtf are you to make that determination? Answer is you’re a nobody.

If our constant talk about confidence and trading players XYZ and leaking reports of referee bias and dogging on the current MVP to hype you’re own guy ad nauseum directly impacts our ability to recruit good players then maybe it’s time to reevaluate how and more importantly why we think that’s the best approach to fielding a championship winning team.

Too many damn excuses and foot in mouth moments for this team w nothing to show for it. Stop w the yapping and get **** done.

BeardNation13 and cheke64 like this.
  17. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I think this too.

18. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Man this is why we are the most hated on TV. Wish Morey and his leaks would STFU. He's all hype nowadays.

19. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Exactly!! Just be a good sport. Let's just ignore the fact he hardly plays any defense and just coasts when he doesn't have the ball.

20. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You conveniently skip past the fact others players see how we treat players, and have a say in where they want or don't want to play. You carelessly mention guys worried about being traded, but no organization carries themselves like we do when it comes to trades. If you're cool w/ Morey publicly dangling our guys, then don't EVER whine about FA's not wanting 2 play for Morey. This is HIS culture he created

cheke64 likes this.