1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IF house was worth 3/11 ... why didn't we sign him last year ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jul 1, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

well yeah he ended up getting a tad more but the difference wasn't worth all the fuss to me. but we all know it was done for lts from the beginning

Gray_Jay likes this.
  2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Agreed on the LTS. He really screwed himself out of a lot of money in the playoffs. He plays then like he did when he got sent down to RGV? We can't afford him.

Hopefully the playoffs slump was a hiccup. Even if it wasn't, for under 4 a year, who cares? I mean, Terry Rozier just got something like 20 a year for the next three!

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. BreakYoSelfFool

From the reports months back I saw, House wanted to hit free agency. He asked for a deal of 3 years 14 million or 15 million to get him to sign and forgo restricted free agency. Maybe 3 yrs 11 mil would have got it done, but at the start of this season he would have had 2 years 7 mil left on his deal and not 3/11 mil, so I think there was some benefit to waiting. If House had played well in the playoffs could have been an entirely different situation though. I definitely feel like not signing House sooner cost us the #1 seed, but he tried to use our need for healthy players to get more money, and we didn't go for it. Aside from Rockets injuries, House had no leverage.

Also, keep in mind the minimum salary for a player changes depending on his situation and years in the league. Minimum deals are not just a flat salary, they still have yearly increases. Also the minimum changes as the salary cap rises. A 3 year deal starting this year for the minimum will be higher than one starting last year automatically. That said House still got about double the minimum. The Rockets at the time were trying to trade for another piece, I don't know that we would have given him this if we had gotten other targeted players though.

candlegreen and Gray_Jay like this.
  4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Umm he showed us his potential during the season lol

5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Because we didn't need to.

6. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Was looking for this! House wanted a 1 year deal and then go hit FA. We did not want to lose his rights and wanted a longer term contract which he and his agent refused.

For those talking about the one win.... Why blame it on this signing as opposed to the decisions that got us to lose the finale against OKC? 20 point lead and lost to a PG 3 pointer at the end. Not counting the major things for that one extra win is ridiculous. Going to blame that on the signing of House is underwhelming at best. The way House showed up in the playoffs, he could easily have hit a wall and cost us games down the line in the regular season as well. People get streaky. House is no exception. He had a nice streak and hit a decline like most rookies do in many sports. No saying he makes up for a 1 game difference or puts us farther down the 4th seed.