1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IF house was worth 3/11 ... why didn't we sign him last year ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jul 1, 2019.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Good business honestly.

RudyTBag and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

he did his job.

cannot fault him.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agree to disagree

You say house sucked in the playoffs .... he did .

But the way we interrupted his development played a large role in that .

You don't think it's likely that if he didn't sit out for months he would have been a better player .

I feel like players develop in two ways ; they put in work off the court , and they get attuned to game speed by being on the court.

We took the second aspect away from House just as he was beginning to develop some chemistry at a NBA level for the first time .

Let me phrase it this way . If you made James harden take a month and a half off where he could only work on his game on his own ... then only played him at the g-league level for another couple of weeks .... do you think he would come back and instantly dominate ? Or do you think it would take him a few games to get back into the flow of things ?

Now consider House , who is no where near the caliber of player Harden is . This is a guy who was just breaking out . And we basically cut him out of organized basketball for longer than a month ... and then when he came back he played at a lower level .

He got back to the NBA with only a small amount of the regular season left ... and then was thrust into playoff action for the first time.

It's not a situation that's ideal . Should we really expect success ?

I think our treatment of House was a PLAYER DEVELOPMENT mistake due to skirting the LT . Maybe at the end of the day the rockets felt it was the system that produced houses #'s .

But now they gave him a contract that indicates they believe in his ability to develop.

Well , if ya believed that then why didn't you act on that belief LAST SEASON when we could have gotten him more games to develop .

4. BigBum

BigBum Member

Shut down house = lose a ring
    Durant is down in 2nd round. Play GS in conference finals.

5. dmoneybangbang

Pretty sure your thread explained to you the issue. Do you want to understand or just looking to blame someone?

biff17 likes this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I just wanna see if anyone else can offer other explanations . And also the logic is a bit inconsistent . You weren't willing to go into the LT for house last year , but this year it's not an issue ? Maybe we are going into it anyways this year , but that's what we thought last year and we made moves giving up assets to escape it .

Was house not willing to sign for this much last season ?

I legit am kinda confused by this .

It's not that I don't like the move . House is a good gamble with his frame and skill set . I just wish we took it a year earlier and don't know why . Is the LT the only reason ?

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

'Cause we signed this guy instead:

[​IMG]

#27 topfive, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    bulkatron and Deckard like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It pushes back the possibility of getting hit with the "repeater" thingy. I'm not exactly happy that they did it, but it's in the rear-view mirror now.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. ball king23

ball king23 Member

all we are doing is resigning the same team no new guys

10. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Man you guys are right. When Morey looked into his crystal ball and saw that KD was going down. He should have paid House so the Rockets could get 1 more win in the regular season. I wish CD had told Barkley that there would be a moving screen in the last few minutes of the WCF but that dude is washed.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

We lost out on the 2 seed because we dropped completely winnable games in the last week AND two Western conference teams threw games for playoff seeding. You can't blame that on Morey or Tillman - we had control of our own destiny, the players failed us forcing us to rely on other teams -and then two other teams manipulated the matchups deliberately. House's presence alone doesn't change much if any of those.

12. dmoneybangbang

Because we decided a player of House’s caliber was not worth the LTS, which would have triggered the repeater tax, last season.

It seemed like we would have done so for a player like Butler.

13. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

This is a fair deal for us. He isn’t a dynamic player, though. Perfect for Harden because he camps on the 3 point line waiting for the last second pass.

14. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

We still discussing last season? Move on man..

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think it was purely a tax issue. Now we avoided the repeater tax - which by all accounts we made seem like a bigger deal than it was.

Let's see what Tilman does now. His legacy as an owner will depend upon what he can do with Harden's prime. Fail to deliver, watch fans move on.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  16. BreakYoSelfFool

I think the biggest reason is that House wanted more than 3years 11 mil and declined their 3 year offers. House actually got locked up for an extra year at a low rate as well I believe. The other 3 year deals included last years salary.

17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Stomp Toronto in the Finals like they did all season. Sweep up mountains of confetti on Travis and Milam.

18. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Wasn't Morey's initial offer something like 3 years at the minimum, with some of those years non-guaranteed? And you think that 11/3 was on the table coming from the Rockets, when the front office was shaking change out of the couch to avoid paying luxury tax?

I said it before at the time. If House turns down 10-11/3, if he wants all the MLE, well too bad. But I seriously doubt Morey was offering that, given all of the other pre-deadline shenanigans to get under the tax.

Glad he's here now. Hope he's able to play consistent minutes, improve to a solid 3&d wing, and bring this town a championship.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

house was eventually offered a 3 year guaranteed deal. he turned it down. the difference between what he just got and what was offered was not much at all. certainly not for the 2-3 months that he did nothing

Gray_Jay likes this.
  20. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Wasn't the offer for 3 years at the minimum? Unlike what you wrote, I can't believe it was for more, given the insane effort they took to get under the tax last year. I don't believe Morey offered 10 or 11/3 then, considering it would have put them in the tax. A minimum deal wouldn't.

What's the minimum, something like 2.1-ish a year? So, 3 years at that would be 6.3 total, and House just got more than 11. 4.7 extra million, at one more year under contract, plus the amount he made during the standoff and the rest of last year, seems like House got the best of it.

The other posters are right, in that arguing about last year's deals is kind of silly, except that it helps gauge whether and how much to believe this front office moving forward.