1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] Not Morey's Fault

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Jul 1, 2019.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

I already bought a Chinese butler rockets jersey so I can burn it. Won’t come in for 5 months though. Hopefully I don’t forget

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Or some guy named Akeem that played college here.

It's all about preference. Dwight never wanted to play in Atlanta until he has no choice.

The rest of the article was also saying Butler wanted to be a #1 option somewhere -- and Houston doesn't have a vacancy to be the #1 option.

3. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Could be worse. We could have failed like the Knicks failed.

roslolian likes this.
  4. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

but it is his problem

5. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

It's never Morey's fault

Blame Obama

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The reason it says this was Butler’s thinking even when he was with the Bulls.... is because it was his thinking with the Bulls... 2+ years ago.

I knew this... because I remember it from then. As I know many others on the board do as well.

How did Morey forget?

7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

What a b****. That’s every kids dream who has ever played anything, to wear your city on you chest. Ask Gerald how that feels, ask House.
    This dude is a fake ass tough guy, good riddance.

8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

They blow smoke up our ass every summer and act extremely confident then turn around and wonder why fans are so pissed when we don’t even get a ****ing meeting. It’s egregiously disingenuous. If you don’t have anything going on, and you know you don’t, sit down and shut the **** up.

9. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Different people handle their social business differently. Lebron's been The Man since he was what? 11 years old? When did ESPN start doing things like broadcasting his high school games? LeBron had to either cope with it, somehow, or flame out. Part of coping with it is getting your greater support network conditioned to know what they can expect from you (and to be fair, many of them have probably sacrificed in order to help LeBron out), and how they need to act around you.

Butler's never been under anything like that kind of scrutiny. He may have handled his people by simply going off the college and not answering the phone. Tougher to do when they can drive to your house. Plus, isn't Butler a bit of a head case anyway? Stuff like saying he took the rear view mirror of his car because he's only concerned about looking forward. Not impossible then to understand why he may have felt living in Houston wasn't worth the hassle.

Then again, you'd think this would've come up before now, in those texts between him and Harden, in the due diligence a conscientious GM would've performed. Morey's been bit before, by not understanding the mental side of potential players. Royce White, anyone?

10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I’m assuming Butler was using the Rockets as leverage the entire time. He knew we wanted him and wanted to pressure Philly/Miami into having some urgency to get something done. Doubt he ever truly considered coming home as it’s been long rumored that he didn’t want to play here. Hell, @DreamShook has long been saying that Butler didn’t consider Houston home...only repped Tomball.

Hopefully, Morey was working with Butler’s agent to make this happen so that we get some “return” for assisting Jimmy. Unfortunately, Butler’s agent, Bernie Lee, doesn’t represent any other active players so that doesn’t look like it’s the case.

chievous minniefield and topfive like this.
  11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Drexler wanted to come home. Dwight did not. Lebron left home twice. Durant never tried to go home. Deandre wanted to come home... but also wanted to get paid.

Fun fact... back in the early days of the NBA, teams could forfeit the first pick of the draft to select a player within 50 miles of its home arena.

Blurr#7 and tmoney1101 like this.
  12. Newlin

Newlin Member

Did Morey leak this, or did insiders like Cyberx and others stab Morey in the back by releasing private information?

Sometimes I don't get you guys. You are thirsty for inside information. But, then you get upset that inside information gets out.

If Morey is talking to other teams, then the leak can come from many many different places. I don't really think Morey wanted it public knowledge that they were shopping Clint, E.G., and Tucker. But, these things are bound to get out once Morey starts talking to other teams.

13. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Not that I discount how legit this article may be, but it seems like Butler never wanted to come to Houston at all under any circumstances. He seems to enjoy a certain lifestyle rather than winning.

topfive and raining threes like this.
  14. Garner

Garner Member

Could you please show me where Morey leaked anything?

Do you have any evidence to support any of these claims or are you just getting yourself worked up with partial information and assumptions?

beard4life and RudyTBag like this.
  15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Morey lets all clutchfans know that he tried. Jimmy does not want to play for his hometown, that is not the Morey fault at all, but the rockets have tried to trade every players except Harden to try to get Jimmy, but Jimmy still refused, what a bad person! Clutchfans are just mad.

16. Tadow

Tadow Member

Matched what I was told by a guy that grew up with him. Though he said he wanted to play in LA... ultimately he just wanted to live the life though

17. raining threes

Same thing happens at the trade deadline every year.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  18. Victorious

Victorious Member

Honestly that's the only reason you wouldn't want to play at home. Especially if you have family like that

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

morey's exact words with dan patrick:

"We're going after one of these top free agents. Because of that, it'll probably have to be a trade. If you're in our position and if you want a free agent, it has to be through sign-&-trade so that requires a trade at some point. That's why there's a potential trade out there."

tmoney1101 likes this.
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It's not Morey's fault that Butler wanted Miami.

IT IS Morey's fault that he liked multiple instagram comments directly referencing Butler.

That was incredibly unfair . It's like he doesn't realize that a lot of people take his word as bond. I'm sure a lot of people were so excited for Jimmy to come and this was all BS.

I don't trust anything he says publicly and despite this, I thought he must have had a deal lined up with all of his signaling. I'm glad we didn't hard-cap ourselves for an alligator armed player who was redundant here (he never works with other ball centric players and for sure wasn't ready to take a back seat to James). We need to get younger and longer here to ensure that during Harden's tenure he has young guys who can carry more of the load as he ages.

I think Morey is a very smart guy and one of the better GMs, but no other GMs do this kind of stuff and I've had enough of his public antics.