1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj on Sportscenter "Rockets are recruiting Jimmy Butler hard and might have a deal with him"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 25, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah its weird people keep saying he wants to come home or whatever. he spends very little time here and that includes the summer. his summer trainings are never in houston either if he's not out and about traveling, which he loves to do

amaru likes this.
  2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

No, but he has said this.

"Hopefully I'll get a max contract anywhere I choose to go," Butler told reporters about his free agency last month. "You always want to be able to win, I think that's key for sure. You're looking at coaches, you're looking at the city. There's a lot that goes into it."

I think he has to be sold on the system as well and it could very well be one of those situations where Harden and CP (who he's very close with, we've seen how much respect he has for those two, even follows them on Insta, doesn't follow Lebron if that means anything) have to sell him on the system.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not to be argumentative (who, me?!?), but there's nothing at all in that quote about hometown or Houston. For all we know, he might think LA is paradise, or that New York is the place to be (like Lisa Douglas on Green Acres).

I remember DeAndre saying he'd love to play near home, but I don't recall Jimmy B. ever saying anything remotely like that. I'm not saying it's NOT true, but I think it's a reach that most of CF seems to assume it IS.

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

He hasn't said that but it's all speculation on both ends. I could flip that and say he hasn't said anything bad about playing for his hometown because he hasn't stated anything on it.

The one thing we have heard is that Butler greatly respects Harden and CP and they will have to sell Butler on the idea of coming home.

topfive likes this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Dude. "Assume-it-is" is my middle name. People just think it's "Arthur."

jch1911 and topfive like this.
  6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I could have re-worded this as, “If we go for Butler we’ll chase McGee” and I would be an insider.

Corrosion likes this.
  7. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I love McGee. He would be a great Clint replacement. Better rim protector. More aggressive. Same vertical spacing. Not as well on a switch and most importantly he cannot play meaningful minutes. Capela can go 33 mins McGee has done 22 in the last couple years. He’d be a nice option to platoon the center role if capela is gone but I wouldn’t use up all the exceptions to fill the center role when we have a lack of wings on the team.

It’s interesting how our cap played out the last two years. As of now we can spend almost exactly the TPMLE and BAE if we get Butler on his max. If we had used the MLE last year We’d have to trade that contract into space as well. If Anderson is here we’d have to get rid of him. If Knight is here we’d have to get rid of him. The salary is almost set perfectly to take him on and add to the team. I’d beg Butler to take like a million or two less than max so we could possibly use NTMLE between a couple guys for a team like

Paul
    Harden
    Butler/Aminu
    Tucker
    McGee (BAE)/Gibson (vet min)

If we don’t get Butler it will be imo a colossal waste of assets. When you have a team that is not comprised of rookie contracts and you have super max dollars on your team. You can’t hard cap yourself and use every available asset to lock in a roster. If we don’t get Butler than we wasted the MLE last year and dumped assets to get off Anderson/knights contract to get a smaller salary filler in Shumpert. Let’s just say we never make the Anderson or even the knight trade and use MLE last year team could’ve been last year.

Paul/milton
    Harden/rivers
    Gordon/(mcbuckets or joe Harris using TPMLE in 2018)
    Tucker/Anderson
    Capela/nene

Then this year we’d have

Paul/Milton
    Harden/
    Our 1st
    Gordon/last years TPMLE
    Tucker/Anderson/this years TPMLE
    capela

Assets include:
    2 TPMLE contract players to serve as good foundational rotation players
    Capela
    Anderson’s expiring
    Gordon’s expiring
    Our first this year

These steps would’ve assured using all available assets without losses. It’s clear that was not our goal and Dipping the tax this year or getting advanced notice that Butler wanted in (highly doubtful) was our priority.

Really wish we could’ve gone back the year Paul opted in and aggressively threw a bid at the pacers for George at the time.

Hakeemtheking and Corrosion like this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

We ran it back with horry when we didnt get sean elliott and we won a title. Horry was actually traded. This is all juat talk. Will be fine. Also gordon and capela and everyone knows it takes salary / good player to get back player

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

10. macan

macan Member

he gone...
    Daryl will be back to collecting scrubs mode like he did last summer...

CK Johnson and amaru like this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Lmfao

Damn...

tc0330 and amaru like this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

Yep. That’s devastating to Houston’s chances

ksny15 likes this.
  13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Lmao Morey and Tillman better try and save face with the players now.

14. amaru

amaru Member

Or start looking for other deals for them.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Am I reading the same tweet you guys are? Devastating? Lol

We have the last interview with Jimmy Butler scheduled. That is exactlyyy where you want to be.

BigMaloe, dkoune, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  16. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

Exactly, everyone seems to be overreacting...

dkoune and RudyTBag like this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Meh... it does seem to read as if he is trying to get a deal done in Miami (Ocho Cinco lives in South Florida)

That being said... ain't the contract done already? Houston and Miami can offer the same deal to Jimmy. Plus both states don't have state income tax (I was raised in Htown, but I live in South Florida). It's all about convincing Philly. As others have pointed out Miami can get a deal done, but Jimmy walks into a depleted Heat squad that didn't even make the playoffs last year. (Never underestimate Pat Riley tho.... )

CRJ713 likes this.
  19. amaru

amaru Member

If that tweet was mentioning Houston we’d have about 3 different threads referring to it. Don’t do this to yourself.

Zoplicone likes this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No offense, but I think YOU are the one doing this to yourself! We are reading wayyy too deep into these tweets.

#460 RudyTBag, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    BigMaloe and tc0330 like this.