1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Rockets may pursue Warriors’ Kevon Looney

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Jun 28, 2019.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

FWIW... didnt see it posted elsewhere...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/26/report-rockets-may-pursue-warriors-kevon-looney/

The Warriors may have competition for the services of center Kevon Looney from their rivals in Houston once free agency begins this weekend.

Looney, who is an unrestricted free agent, is reportedly among the centers the Rockets are looking to pursue as they may be facing a massive overhaul that could include losing Clint Capela.

ESPN is reporting Houston is focused on trying to add 76ers free agent Jimmy Butler to its tandem of James Harden and Chris Paul, which could cost the Rockets at least two of three mainstays in Capela, guard Eric Gordon and forward P.J. Tucker.

The cap-strapped Rockets are considering Looney in free agency as well as more expensive centers such as the Bucks’ Robin Lopez and the Knicks’ DeAndre Jordan,according to The Athletic’s Sam Amick. Looney and those centers, however, could probably only expect an offer of the taxpayer mid-level exception of $5.7 million.

Looney, though, could get at least that much from the Warriors, who hold his Bird Rights and could pay him however much they’re comfortable spending in terms of the luxury tax. Still, some experts expect Looney to receive offers around $5-6 million per

You won’t find any Warriors player, coach or executive who wouldn’t love to have the 23-year-old Looney back next season. Looney proved his worth this season as Golden State’s most dependable center and, should DeMarcus Cousins leave via free agency, the four-year vet from UCLA becomes all the more valuable. His gritty defense and solid offensive contributions with picks and screen-and-rolls were integral parts of the Warriors’ path to a fifth straight NBA Finals.

One of the lasting images of this past season was Looney wincing in pain and gutting through it while playing in the NBA Finals with a first costal cartilage fracture. The injury isn’t expected to limit him at all once training camp begins.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looney would be a fantastic, beautiful fit on defense.

4. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Way better player than nutless Capela.

5. JW86

JW86 Member

I really want a good center to replace Capela!

kjayp likes this.
  6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

This guy is way too small to play C

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We can’t be that lucky.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Can someone explain to me in what circumstances would lead the RESTRICTED Looney not be matched by the Warriors?

They are going to loose Cousins, Bell hasn’t shown any improvement, Looney just a had a great playoff performance. Why would they not match our tax payer MLE offer which would be 3/18 at MOST.

This is silly, never going to happen.

jboslett, Aruba77, da_juice and 8 others like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Looney plays in the summer with Harden all the time in those NBA runs in LA. In all those videos, he treats Looney like a diet Capela. I don't consider Looney a diet Capela anymore since he always seems to eat Clint's lunch when they match up. He is a scrappier Clint with a hint of a jump shot.

If Rockets do move Clint this would be a pretty good replacement.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Isn't Looney unrestricted?

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets want Looney
    Warriors want Rivers

12. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Lol.

13. tc0330

tc0330 Member

im all for looney. dude has finals experience out the ass, is 6'9, 23 years old and aint no b****. love this guy

jboslett, luckyman76, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Fireworks

15. macan

macan Member

so we stealing his biatch

16. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Far better passer, screener, and defender due to intelligence.

Looney is even better as a man defender on the perimeter.

Looney is far younger too. I’d say he’s worth Clint’s contract. Settling to give Looney fair money(much more than MLE), would not be a bad move this summer.

I’d still do the Capela trade, Butler commitment or not.

Lopez and Looney are far better fits and players than Clint.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, he's not that wrong though, i mean, i like Looney, but i feel like people who think he's going to be an upgrade over Clint are due to a bad wake up, the lobs are not going to be there anymore, and it's likely that some matchups would change a lot, and not in our favor, Utah and Denver are the first to come to my mind. I do like to think Looney can develop an outside shot since he already has a decent mid range though, this is something i'm not sure Clint will ever add to his game.

MorningZippo, Nelly, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

GSW has a young center (Damian Jones) that was playing over Looney before he got injured for the season. Maybe GSW continues to go with him and lets Looney walk.

19. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

How is Looney cheaper than Jordan at this point?

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

GSW have said they want to bring Looney back. Considering our financial limitations it's crazy to think we could outbid them. So would he choose us for a discount?

xtruroyaltyx likes this.