1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' MVP response tweet: good idea or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 25, 2019.

?

Rockets' MVP response tweet

1. Good idea: just calling it like it is

114 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Bad idea: reflects poorly on the organization

94 vote(s)
    38.8%
  3. Good idea: a championship-quality, Steve Kerr-like move

21 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Bad idea: we've out-Kerred Steve Kerr

22 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Good idea: any publicity is good publicity

22 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Bad idea: just stoking the fires of Harden hate

51 vote(s)
    21.1%
  7. Good idea: Giannis doesn't deserve the award

31 vote(s)
    12.8%
  8. Bad idea: the Rockets deserve an unsportsmanlike behavior penalty

23 vote(s)
    9.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vivi

Vivi Member

;)

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Always have your players backs in private and in public because other players see that.

D-rock and BigShasta like this.
  3. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Since when? I guess since I'm a Rockets fan I never saw it that way. The Warriors have always been the villains to me and most of the NBA since nobody could get past them.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They only do this for Harden though. Where’s the twitter for PJ’s snub?

They couldn’t give a **** for anyone not a star. Assets only.

BeardNation13 likes this.
  5. mr2evolution

mr2evolution Member

Rockets just need to stfu and win its the only way to change the perception of the organization right now. The whining and crying just makes us look bad even if what is being said is valid.

6. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

This is probably the worst reason

1. We were not 2nd in the West, we were 4th
    2. Harden was part of the team that started the season off poorly going 11-14. So not sure why the comeback deserves extra credit esp coming off a 65 win season and WCF appearance and when we were favored to finish 1 or 2 out west

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Eh..., sort of agree but I've seen them do this for CP3, Gordon, Tuck, and a few others on their social media. They rep all their guys pretty hard but none as hard as Harden. But you can't blame them honestly. The guy has been on an offensive run that NBA history hasn't really seen before the last few years.

D-rock, vlaurelio and topfive like this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

All Harden had to do is make a free throw and we’d have had the 2nd seed

He couldn’t.

Story of our season.

9. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

This is what people dont understand.

We have the MVP, they know it, we know it, and they hate it. So why not rub it in their faces. This has nothing to do with Giannis. He's just a casualty.

They are basically saying "see you spend most of your season making your case for MVP and didnt get it, yet again.

We need to be focused on getting to the Finals next year. Period. All these other awards are for extra money and accolades.
    I would rather James Harden be Finals MVP over league MVP anyday.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed, the Rockets already did a lot of pushing for the MVP during the season (like they always did in the previous years), which is the right thing to do, but just move one at this point and focus on the future, these kinda salty tweets won't bring anything good to the organization and Harden anyway...also cause, Giannis has been very good too, it's not like he won the MVP because he robbed a couple of rebounds to Adams.

Easy likes this.
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

A better clap back would have been to just congratulate "MVP Runner up James Harden" and left everything else out.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. You know what I mean. Within a buzzer beater of 2nd.
    2. Carmelo was also part of that team. #CaseClosed...

13. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Rockets salty as f*ck.

Can't beat Warriors with no Durant and can't let a meaningless mvp award slide.

I find it hard hard to support a team so incompetent. Miss the glory years.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  14. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Your point is?

We still finished 4th per the records, not 2nd. Buzzer beater or not

And you don't get extra brownie points amongst voters for adding a free agent of your own choice. Come on man, you're excuses are weak now

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Why are all of you so obsessed with the optics of everything. Who gives a **** about what other fans or media thinks of us, they dont mean jack shet to me. They can say whatever they want.

I like the tweet, I don't care if we seem Petty, at least we have the balls to back up our best player.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

I'm so sick of MVP talk.

I'm not a Rockets fan for that ****. I'm a fan for team awards like....NBA Championships

I'm really done with this. I would trade Harden and his MVP and 3 almost MVPs for just one O'Brien trophy and If you guys wouldn't YOU AREN'T Rockets fans.

dmenacela, Ramo$e and BeardNation13 like this.
  17. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I see two sides of this coin - Good idea because ultimately this is a nonstop statement that the Rockets have had. This is statement is more from the Rockets to James, we stand behind you, we appreciate you, we value you. As a player this is an indication that the Team is fully vested and supports the player. No other team has constantly gone to bat for it's players as the Rockets have.

Bad Idea - Everyone outside of Houston maybe tired of it, people view JH as a gimmickie and the team as too heavily stats based. It does have a negative appeal because it goes against the league. Lately we have been calling out the league a lot and may put an unwanted target on our back. However, someone has to keep the league honest and drive some kind of Rubric that is fair and consistent. If people dont complain about real things and dont make issues about real flaws, there isnt any progress.

D-rock, Ramo$e and justtxyank like this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

If the only time you've enjoyed being a Rockets fan was TWO YEARS in their entire history you should just move on tbh.

19. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I'd trade things I don't have for something I want too. Otherwise I wouldn't be a wishful thinker.

topfive likes this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

The Rockets' tweet isn't denigrating Giannis, it's calling out the negative media narrative on Harden.

Look at it this way: If Giannis had a just-decent season this year, but everything else in the league was exactly the same, I guarantee you Harden wouldn't have won unanimously. Many of them would have just bumped Paul George or Jokic ahead of Harden.

They're fine with giving Harden a 2nd-place vote, but voting him 1st leaves a really bad taste in their mouths, even if it was utterly clear beyond any doubt.

I kind of get the idea of "selfish" stats playing a role here, even if I don't agree with it. But the idea that they hate selfish stats went out the window when they gave Westbrook the award.

D-rock, aliadiere25 and Ramo$e like this.