1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Max Kellerman would not offer KD a max contract now

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mig0s, Jun 11, 2019.

1. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I mean Duh right now he opts in to the $31M, rehabs the entire season like Kawhi, then hits the open market next summer. Maybe plays a few games towards the end of the season next year to show he’s back.

2. MD_in_Training

Lol what? You said he had SVG athleticism for a decade and put up 20+ a game. He scored 20+ consistently from 2000-2012 and won a ring in 2011. That was his prime... after that, his scoring dropped off and was past his prime. Therefore, any rational human would interpret that you meant he had SVG athleticism during his prime.

3. Fantasma Negro

If I’m the Knicks I offer Durant the four year max and let him rehab in their facilities with some of the best doctors in the world. The warriors doctors have already proven to not have his best interest in mind

4. Nook

Nook Member

It’s hyperbole, he was scoring 17-18 points a game the second half of his career and had a bad knee and really wasn’t that athletic. It seems obvious to me.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He's still technically a max player after the achilles recovery. Not supermax or superstar worthy anymore imo. Durant's crazy length will keep him a star and he's still an incredibly skilled player, but there's a reason nearly every player falls off a bit after an achilles injury.

He's absolutely still worth the max. His career isn't over, and he can still ride rings in Golden State if they bring back everyone. Golden State still has the highest floor of any team in the league even if their bench is filled with absolute trash.

6. MD_in_Training

What’s obvious to you? Isn’t your argument that Durant is still worth the max despite injury?

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

C'mon Fantasma, that is only half true. The Warriors are more about winning than hiding Durant for sure.

I think it was 60% Durant's decision, nobody pressured him other than the Raptors taking Golden State to the brink of ugly defeat.

Nobody can think straight when they are in the Finals..... I think the Rockets would even consider bringing CP3 out of his vacation to be part of the Finals.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Yes Durant is worth the max to the Knicks. Even if he loses some athleticism he can still drop 20+ camping at the three point line at his size and with his shooting ability.

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Mannix is saying teams will still offer him the Max deal.

After his recovery, It may be difficult for Durant to drive on people and be versatile on defense. His size is definitely still an advantage, and he still has his shooting ability, but he becomes less well rounded and dominant. He could still be worth a max contract, but it would be difficult to project him as a Top 5 player that immediately makes a team a contender without another top 10 player helping him out.

Plus the pressure of being that guy for his new team I think will wear on Durant again. Over the last 2-3 years, Durant already has shown that what people think of him and say about him gets to him. He was good enough on the court that it didn't matter though. That may not be the case after rehab. Plus media coverage here in NYC is way more critical and in your face than anything he has faced before.

If he comes back and is not what he is supposed to be, they will immediately call him the next Melo.

Sajan likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Modern man cannot understand this concept. Everyone that appears on a TV screen is an "analyst" or a "newscaster".

11. vince

vince Member

Doesn’t KD have a player option for the 19/20 season? If so I’d opt in and then go for the next paycheck afterwards.

I don’t think Durant will play at all next season.

But unless some team is foolishly going to give him a max deal knowing he isn’t playing next year! Could happen!

12. MD_in_Training

How do you know he can drop 20+? Your Dirk analogy makes no sense since he didn’t score 20+ post prime when you yourself said he lost athleticism.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

you do realize multiple teams are going to be throwing max offers to him, knowing he probably won't play next year. its not going to be some surprise or atleast it shouldn't be to anyone

14. TimDuncanDonaut

Interesting, didn't think Kellerman can afford any NBA contracts, let alone a max contract. :D

15. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Is that where that Douche came from? I knew it.

dkim1984 likes this.
  16. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Second best player, first worst contract.

17. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

He is right unfortunately.

18. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Every Kellerman contract is a Max contract. (I mean if you're going to make terrible jokes, you gotta expect to get them right back).

19. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

KD at 70% of his abilities after he returns is still a max player.

He should sign with NYK, which could be terrible for another year thanks to KD's recovery and get another good pick.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kellerman does not deserve his name. He needs to change it to Veteran Minimum Kellerman.