1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HEY STUPID......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

We definitely need better caoching! As soon as I figure out what that is, I'll send it over to the Rockets.

amaru likes this.
  2. xaos

xaos Member

Agreed. My opinion of Kerr's genius is undecided at best.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Where using a high pick and roll makes you a genius

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So what you're actually saying is - we need an option to have a player like Cousins (who even returning from injury is probably still ahead of the performance Capela displayed), and not only have Cousins on the team, but have the ability to get him off the bench??

I'll let MDA know that he needs to make changes, for starters I'll let him know he needs the luxury of 4-6 all star type players on the team.

[​IMG]

BallSoHarden and thedreamsteam like this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Possibly the greatest adjustments ever made.

pippendagimp and J.R. like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess the 'Genius' of Dan Toney has been decided at best.

7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I'm not a fan of MDA, but coaching can only go so far against four all stars plus three officials.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Sure everyone knows adjustments need to be made, but c'mon what coach has a player who should be making $40M per year available off their bench for $5M?

BamBam and napalm06 like this.
  9. SemisolidSnake

I'd say it's the improvements before the adjustments. Then the adjustments. You have a center that's just killing you out there with his presence, but the only option MDA sees is to go even smaller with Tucker at the 5. Yes, I know that worked in some cases, but ultimately it's not gonna get you a series against the Warriors. "Oh, but Faried's defense is awful, can't use him...at all...in the entire series." That's on coaching right there. You've had Faried for half a season. You've had Gerald Green much longer. You know both their defenses can massively improve. Hey, defensive coaches...how about working on that, so they're ready for the playoffs? For all the love Bzdelik gets, I kind of get this impression he was just phoning it in this year. Or has no interest in getting his hands dirty by actually working with players.

If you don't attempt any improvement on your players' games and just treat them as static, stagnant assets, well, then you really don't have the capability to flexibly adjust even if you want to. And that's the fault of coaching.

Don't anyone tell me you can't improve a professional athlete's game, because you're wrong. Over on the winning side of downtown, the Astros acquired Robinson Chirinos during the offseason to be our main catcher. Chirinos, for his entire career, had been setting up for pitches turned partially sideways. That's not good technique, but no prior team ever did anything about it. It wasn't going to work with our powerful pitching staff. A.J. Hinch, manager and former catcher, and the rest of the Astros coaches straightened Chirinos out in two months before the start of the season, unraveling a habit years upon years in the making. Chirinos now squares up straight to our pitchers and is turning out to be one of the best catchers in the league. We were kind of apprehensive about the signing, but for a fraction of the price of J.T. Realmuto, a heavily-discussed catching option, we're getting better production from Chirinos than Realmuto.

The Astros took a guy and made him better. Quickly. They do it with the pitchers. They do it with the batters...usually. They're absurdly overloaded with talent over there, and it's not even just from acquiring good players in the offseason like Micheal Brantley. Players that have struggled in the past on one side of the ball (e.g. Jake Marisnick at the plate) have gotten it together, and the team just keeps winning no matter who's out there for us or how many of our stars are injured.

Highlyrated likes this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

Dantoni has been using high pick and roll and PJ tucker to roam all year.

Why did Kerr need to lose game 1 to figure that out?

11. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

I believer faried could if helped us also

psingh34 and Rocket River like this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

LOL. Love it

13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

how nice of Steve Kerr to move their all-nba center off the bench to the starting lineup. Truly genius!

Richie_Rich and BigShasta like this.
  14. BigBum

BigBum Member

Game 1 Golden States
    Ball goes from outside to inside (Rockets only method)

Game 2 Golden States
    Ball goes from outside to inside, then inside to outside.

MDA just need to train Tucker and Capela on low post with great court vision.

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I like pie.

16. Mr. Clutch

D'Antoni doesn't do low post.

17. BigBum

BigBum Member

You are right, Suns don't do low post. Both Marion and Amare don't do low post.
    If they did low post, they may win Championships.
    Joe Johnson and Nash are as good as Klay and Curry.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Virile man, this Dan and Toney.

He had Boris Diaw in the lower Post though.

19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If KD and DMC returning from injury counts as an adjustment, then Kerr is doing great.

20. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Player development =! Coaching, and improving in baseball is a lot easier than improving in basketball (you lose lateral movement before anything else, as you age) but I totally agree with the sentiment.

Chauncey Billups and Jason Kidd are prime examples of players adding to their games later in their careers.