1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: 2019 Offseason Pre-Draft Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, May 11, 2019.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is a new post but I'm copying the last post by Bima to make a comments thread for it.

Matt78777, Deckard, bilaal14 and 6 others like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Interesting to note that Shumpert can be signed and traded even if he were combined with other assets. Who knows, someone might be interested in him for $6-8m.

The contract sizes available for trade give us good flexibility (not the case in previous years). Clint and Gordon just under $15m each. Tucker at around $8m. Nene at $4m. Chiozza $1.5m. Shumpert flexible. Gives us a lot of mix and match options.

@BimaThug Can we trade 4 future picks this summer or 3? Not sure when the pick is considered to be conveyed or if there's some sort of waiting period.

BamBam likes this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

These articles from Bima are easily a top 3 reason I love this site. Thanks, @BimaThug

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

@BimaThug, is it permissible under the CBA for Shumpert to be signed to a one-year deal that is mostly non-guaranteed?

I love reading your salary cap updates. Thank you for taking the time to write them.

Deckard likes this.
  6. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Teams can trade draft picks up to (but not more than) 7 years into the future. Once the 2019 NBA Draft concludes, the Rockets can trade up to 4 first rounders (2020, 2022, 2024 and 2026).

Thanks!

No. Sign-and-trade deals must be for at least three seasons, and the first year must be fully guaranteed. The subsequent years can be non-guaranteed, though.

And thanks for the kind words.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Fantastic read, @BimaThug

Appreciate it greatly.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This write up from @BimaThug is excellent! So, Jimmy Butler's date is June 29. We'll know one way or another with him BEFORE FA.

Also, if I am the Rockets I look to re-sign Shumpert to a team friendly deal. They need the flexibility of his salary for future moves if need be. Rockets need some *mid tier* salary on their books to make moves.

Nook and lilbird20 like this.
  9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If we are not to waste Harden's prime years, as long as the team can be significantly improved, all those picks are game.

jboslett likes this.
  10. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

@BimaThug thanks for these articles!

I have a hypothetical situation that I’d like to ask you about.

If Philly is interested in Shumpert, could they negotiate and sign him to a contract with the understanding that Houston would match and send him in a trade package for Butler?

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I totally get "going all-in" during Harden's prime. But go ask the Brooklyn Nets how trading unprotected picks way into the future worked out for them.

Shumpert will be an UNrestricted free agent. The Rockets don't have a right of first refusal. But if Philly is truly interested in Shump, a S&T scenario could be a way to acquire him without having to use their MLE. BUT...it will impose a hard cap on Philly at the apron level. One of the main reasons such a deal would be unlikely.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

@BimaThug just a question, but in Shumpert to Philly sign&trade, that will impose a hard cap on them even if they do the trade while they have cap space?

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yes. Any team acquiring a signed-and-traded player is committing itself to staying below the apron for that NBA season, regardless of how far below the apron or tax threshold or salary cap that team may be at the time of the trade.

JoeBarelyCares and Vivi like this.
  14. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Thanks for the reply. I forgot about the hard cap implications of a S&T. I guess Gordon, Nene (R) and filler is the only way to get Butler.

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

This why I come to Clutchfans.

Season over... time for @BimaThug to crunch the numbers and give us peasants some fodder for "SUMMER SPLASH" proposals.

Thanks.

Also check out https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/cap/2019/

I use it occasionally to check our salary cap and do some number crunching for possible trade ideas. It's a pretty good website for math nerds with detailed multi-year breakdowns, luxury tax, etc. Very educational.

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

That's the risk the Rockets must take because after Harden is done in 5 years or so, we are going back to the threadmill of mediocrity.

Some of us were very disappointed in Harden and the Rockets, but he did average 35 points in these playoffs, dragging the corpse of CP3 and Capella to the finish line the best he could. If those two performed anything close to their averages, the Rockets would have finally exorcised their demons.

No, if the opportunity is there to get a Butler or cough..Leonard, you do it.

Win the next 3 or 4 years. I'm fine with a total rebuild afterwards.

Highlyrated likes this.
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

18. jdjd

jdjd Member

Thanks Bima, I needed that.

19. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

This is the season before they have to pay Simmons so the last season where this could work but tight. They are at that over the cap but not in the tax territory so they can still use the tools to max out their roster. Trading with the Rockets would actually enable them to use the full MLE and maybe BAE. To me Shumpert will work if Butler chooses Houston. Philly needs to rebuild assets and for them this is a make or break year with Simmons. They lost their lotto pick and have #24 and 4 seconds. There are also scenarios to send Shumpert to a 3rd team that would be less effected by the hard cap in a 3-way.

20. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Yep, if Shumpert goes to a 3rd team with a much lower cap figure, PHI wouldn’t be hard-capped and would be more willing to play ball.

Can we SnT Shumpert to the Kings? I imagine the one-year rule doesn’t apply to new contracts. He was a great vet presence for that team and is still close with their young stars.

Could do something like:
    Butler to HOU
    Shumpert SnT at $12 MM/year to SAC
    HOU 1st, Nene and Bjelica to PHI

Shumpert’s last two years would be non-guaranteed.

SAC gets a vet presence for one year (last two years would be non-guaranteed)
    HOU gets Butler
    PHI gets a 1st and a big that spaces the floor (Ilyasova-esque).