1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you regret the Cp3 trade now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets1897, May 11, 2019.

?

Do you wish Morey never pulled the trigger on Cp3?

1. Yes

122 vote(s)
    49.8%
  2. No

123 vote(s)
    50.2%
  1. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

The "trade was fine, extension wasn't" line of thinking doesn't really work. It's almost certain that we pretty much assured CP3 that we'd give him a 4 year max extension if he opted in and got traded here rather than signing here for 5 years outright. We could have reneged, but that's dangerous to have out there from both the league (Joe Smith, though Morey would have been way too smart to put it on paper) and from a reputation stand point with other players and agents.

We wouldn't have Tuck without CP3. Lou Will also wouldn't have signed that team friendly contract here, plus wasn't good here.

We got two pretty solid bites at the apple to win a championship with this trade so it was a risk worth taking imo. If KD leaves GS and we retool it's not out of the question we could be in the mix again next year. CP3 was great in Game 6. I don't think Clint is as bad as he looked against GS.

The argument that we should have held firm on Harrell or given something else is fair though.

Vivi and HP3 like this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

The system works though??? Dude look at Portaland who isn’t using our system and look how hard they are getting crapped on, GS doesn’t even take them seriously they are just going through the motions. Tell me who else has been as close as us, nobody. Tell me who else has played them as close as us despite a talent gap, no one. The issues that plagued this team all year is the reason they lost. No D’Antoni isnt perfect but the system is definetly not what lost it for us.

3. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

how can you regret when you were against the trade to begin with?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tilfart: Chris Paul cannot be judged solely on his stats

Fertitta said guard Chris Paul cannot be measured only by his statistics. Paul averaged 15.6 points per game last season, the fewest in his career, making a career-low 41.9 percent of his shots. He averaged 8.2 assists, slightly more than in his first season with the Rockets but the third-fewest of his 14 NBA seasons.

“You can’t just look at Chris’ statistics, assists and points,” Fertitta said. “Chris does things all through the game to disrupt the other team. Chris is smart. I think Chris has a lot in him to contribute in the next couple years. He’s got savvy and intelligence that helps the team.”

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No. You have to strike when opportunity hits. You can't always pick and choose your opportunities. Timing matters. Situations matter. Getting CP3 was not only to add another *high ceiling* player, but one that would *augment* Harden's game.

Right now, it is all about augmenting Harden. Get players that augment him. Get coaches that augment him. Play a scheme (switch defense, ISO) that augments him. Harden is the Sun and we are gathering the right planets.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You can't not regret the trade but regret the 4yr deal. You can't have your cake and eat it too. As soon as the *opt in and trade* was agreed on, the 4yr deal was agreed on. I accept the 4yr deal. Cost of doing business. Onus is on Morey to work around the edges now.

YOLO likes this.
  7. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

He's not wrong. Chris Paul was #15 in RPM on the entire season. An he was at like outside top 40 at around February.

Meaning his last several months of sustained play, he was playing at an elite overall level.

8. bigkstrong

bigkstrong Contributing Member

I would beg to differ. This team is known for playing down to their opponent's level and also their expected monumental collapses when they have leads. We need a system that will promulgate staying within the game plan for 48 mins and seeking to annihilate every foe.

In fact, I am looking at Golden State and I believe that they are flawed also given their talent level. They tend to take themselves out of games by letting off the throttle (the Rockets really missed an opportunity).

Being close to getting over the hill is not the standard. Executing an offense, in whatever guise it appears, and actual X's and O's from the coach will go a long way in helping this team become elite.

All in all, I think Chris is a good player and can positively impact the team, but I feel we are wasting resources on him when we don't use him or our other players properly. The team culture must change to become champions, otherwise we will continue to be second fiddle until the GSW dynasty is over.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

playing down to the opponent has nothing to do with the system. that's has everything to do with the actual players. A system doesn't tell you how hard to play night in and night out and it doesn't dictate whether you execute or not. You're completely discrediting the system while, every single team remaining throws up 3s left and right

10. bigkstrong

It sounds to me that you are equating a system to a style of play--I am not. I am advocating an organized scheme or method no matter how we play.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

I dont see where you're going at with this. Are you implying what the rockets do isn't some organized scheme. A scheme is developed by best utilizing the guys that's on your roster and putting them in their best position to succeed as a whole. The worst schemes are putting a system in place where your actual personnel do not fit whatsoever. So yeah what you're advocating is pretty confusing

HP3 likes this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is something you say about role players like PJ Tucker. Not dudes your paying $160M to.

13. bigkstrong

I observed ball movement, hussle, paying attention to small details in some of the wins in the playoffs. It is not sustained. When it counts most, the Rockets become unraveled while moving away from gave them the advantage. Listen to D'Antonio's between quarter interviews. I hold him responsible for not making the players accountable.

Organized chaos.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

you actually take those quarter interviews seriously? those are nothing but the same content over and over, i couldn't careless about those. the same thing is said countless times just by different coaches. Pop takes the best approach to it because its a complete waste of time.

I also hold the players responsible, they've seen this team how many times now. you're trying to tell me mda needs to hold them accountable at this point? how exactly. you need a babysitter for a team thats eliminated you for years. Should he have slapped Capela for talking trash and then proceeding to nut up in the series. Cp3 certainly called him out about it. Looks like that didn't matter. he held house accountable for playing like trash and gave his minutes to shumpert who came up big in the rockets wins.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Trade was good, extension was good, price was bad.

16. bigkstrong

Don't need to take the interview seriously, the actions on the court speak for MDA. In a previous post, I named everybody from the top of the organization down, which includes the players. No loss of respect for you if you like this brand of basketball; however, I'll pass.

***Clap clap, play harder.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No we could have won ring last year with him.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

until i see another brand of basketball clearly overtake GS or has more success, I won't pass.

clap clap clap

19. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I wouldn’t mind trading him for Mike Conley.

20. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Yeah? What did the Rockets have left after acquiring CP3. Hek, I argue that PG should have been the primary target but here’s the thing, Indiana saw something in Victor Oladipo and that’s who they wanted...