1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you regret the Cp3 trade now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets1897, May 11, 2019.

?

Do you wish Morey never pulled the trigger on Cp3?

1. Yes

122 vote(s)
    49.8%
  2. No

123 vote(s)
    50.2%
  1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Not at all. How many were free agents ? we would still be in the same place as if we had them

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol 5 first round picks for those guys. Are you crazy? If the Clippers coulda got first rounders for those guys they woulda traded them at deadline along with Tobias Harris. If they missed the playoffs they woulda kept their first round pick this year. There is no market where you getting 5 first rounders for those guys.. Cmon man Sam Decker? Is he even still in the league? Got traded to Cavs for absolutely nothing.

CP delivered us one of the greatest Rockets seasons of all time. First time in years I actually thought we were gonna win it all. If it wasn’t for an untimely injury we would be talking about the championship in Houston. None of those five guys could have got us there.

Rephrasing the question to, do you regret resigning him to the Max. You may get a bunch more no’s. Losing to the greatest team of all time is not a reason to overreact and dump on all our players.

bj3175 likes this.
  3. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

It's 5 first round picks no matter which way you look at it:

PatBev - Worthy of a first round pick at the time of trade. He was worth a first this year since he was an expiring and team friendly contract.
    Sweet Lou - We traded a future 2017 1st round pick for him. He was definitely worth a first this year.
    Montrezl - I'm 100% certain they could have netted a 1st round pick this year for him.
    Dekker - Drafted in 2015 - 18th pick overall (traded in 2017 only played 1 year experience).
    Gallinari - Was traded to the Clippers for the future Rockets 2018 1st round pick (from CP3 trade).

Rephasing the questions doesn't matter. Everyone should regret how much we paid for Chris Paul at the time of the trade. We gave up way too damn much (if you look up the LeBron trade to the Heat it wasn't even close to the same trade did for CP3). The main reason why the Clippers went to the playoffs this year was because of the CP3 trade.

4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I think Paul with a healthier post presence can still turn it around.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The CP3 deal happened.

Then the contract happened.

Two different things.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Another stupid thread. Paul has done everything he could last 2 years to get this team to play at a high level. He is one of the reasons why the team has an identity in terms of toughness and playing insured ball. There’s more to selecting players than just pure talent. He’s been instrumental in this teams success so stop the nonsense. Next.

bj3175 likes this.
  7. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Last year we got the most out of the team because of Cp3's leadership and the identity he established on this team. James Harden and Cp3 as a duo did not complement themselves to that degree this year.

8. bigkstrong

bigkstrong Contributing Member

I agree. He'll end up an all-time great like Karl Malone, Reggie Miller, Patrick Ewing and Charles Barkley.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

All these knee jerk yes votes

Game 1 was stolen from us and we got out-coached, outplayed and out-hustled especially once Durant went down

thedreamsteam and HP3 like this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

Lol very subtle :rolleyes:

Career isn’t over bro, stop acting like he won’t ever get a ring.

Dude I’ve never seen a place crap on their own players as much as CFs.

11. bigkstrong

With the Rockets' style as currently managed, CP3's best shot at a ring is getting bought and then sign with Golden State. We know that isn't happening. I've had issue with the Rockets' conservative approach to championship caliber team building for a while. The hiring of Mike D'Antoni made me squeamish. Standing pat in the off season when we had our best shot at knocking out Golden State with some aggressive roster moves really was deflating to me. With such a short window, you cannot afford to go into luxury tax savings mode. The inability for the front-office to go all-in is a mindset that has trickled down to the players. We see that manifested in how they they approach each game (regular season and especially the playoffs) with no urgency.

It's time for Houston to get a reality check. We have been under performing for years. If no adjustments are made on all levels, we will continue to have false hope and get the same results.

Mindset matters.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes, I regret it NOW, because it's been 2 years, we haven't won a ring, he's 34, and getting paid $40 million a year for the next three years.

I'm not sure how anyone can see different?? It's a hindsight question. We have the benefit of hindsight now.

I don't and still don't think we gave up too much. I regret principally now because of opportunity cost. What else could we have gotten? Could Trez or LouW helped us get farther or gotten us something "more".

I don't think we get any closer to a ring had we kept the group of assets, but had we found a different trade (maybe Paul George package??) or just being in a situation where perhaps we have a bunch of cap space this summer.

13. defyoppression

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Reality check...Hmmm. As currently contructed the Rockets organization is not interested in reality. I'm sorry to admit it but you are dead on point here. And what's really unfortunate is that I don't see much changing next season - which will be the last one on D'Antoni's contract. I'd really love to feel optimistic but am resigned to the inevitability of it all.

bigkstrong likes this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

D’Antoni has had a bunch of success here so idk why that makes you squeamish. Like that’s not conservative at all and even then it was Les’s hire, not Morey. Now on to Morey if you really think our management has been comsercative these past coulple of years than you don’t Morey at all, like at all. And yes I know this season hasn’t been Morey’s best work but you should be looking at Tilman for that not Morey.

We just need a few better role players, that’s it(preferably another star). Our defensive rebounding are what killed our season.

16. bigkstrong

Exhibit A: D'Antoni on Houston's offense and the criticism of "analytics" and threes: "I think this fits James. It fits Eric. It fits our guys. We're just trying to maximize their ability to put us in a spot to win a championship. It's not my system. It's not Daryl's system."

Exhibit B: Morey: "Even in Vegas, only two teams right now have better odds than us, Golden State and Milwaukee."

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

If CP3 didn't get injured last year and we still lost, maybe they wouldn't have given him this contract. We wouldn't have to try again 4 more times at a cost of 160 mil.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's true but in reality he wouldn't have come here without the contract guarantee.

The biggest value-add we were supposed to gain was the president of the player's union, a guy would bring in more players, like, hopefully LeBron.

What we got was a gimped past his prime player who brought us Carmarshmellow for 20 games, and sucked a ****-ton of viable cap space.

Bev, Lou and Montrezl would be much better thant CP3. We wouldn't have kept Ariza at 15m no matter what our cap space.

Easy and daywalker02 like this.
  19. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I'm on the "love the player, hate the contract" bus. Even at an advanced age Chris Paul is still a stud and there aren't many players as smart as he is on the court. That said, if we could move him, with Capella, for an Anthony David I would in a heartbeat. Not that we could, but I imagine we would have to.

20. bigkstrong

We need a system that demands discipline and attention to details. The delusion is that there are always excuses for this team. "If Chris Paul didn't get hurt...,If we only made half of the 27 missed 3 pointers....If only we boxed out....If Eric Gordon would have had a better shooting game, etc."

Bringing more stars onto the team without a good system will avail only conference final and maybe finals appearances and not championships. It's hard to be mentally tough in organized chaos.