1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Ben Simmons available?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, May 13, 2019.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

At the risk of being torn to pieces....

I honestly think he's a pretty good fit for us. Wouldn't take any shots away from Harden and gives us a dynamic playmaker that Cp3 was supposed to be (this season). I was impressed by his defense this series and if he can improve that, it gives us an elite wing defender.

And if Philly is all in on Embiid, Cp3 + Gordon + Picks for Simmons would improve them and give them a serious shot at the ECF.

Lurch likes this.
  2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. No One is taking CP3’s contract. Simmons can’t hit a 15 -17 jumpers consistently.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Simmons is an intriguing prospect for a developing team, but an awful fit for us.

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

hey at least in this offense he wouldn't need to take any midrange :rolleyes:

i don't think he's an awful fit with the preface that you would need find a 5 that could stretch the floor. with that, you would stagger harden and simmons minutes and the minutes they play together (with a stretch 5).

i'm in the camp that we need to build 2-3 years in advance. and kicking the can down the road is only making harden's window shorter. in my mind, we cannot sign another 30+ "star" and hope to compete. that will only lead to our ultimate demise and a TOTAL rebuild.

Denovo, snowconeman22 and Lurch like this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

He's not a good fit until he can shoot 3s and we don't have the assets to get him anyway so, even if he is available, he's not for us.

Would actually like to play him at the 3/4 but again, dude literally never even attempts a 3, in today's game that's not going to work...he's still very young though, so, if i have the chance to trade for him i'd do that in a heartbeat even if he looks like a prick, if he develops a 3pt shot he becomes super good.

ramotadab and Bo6 like this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Simmons could be a great fit for us, if we ran an actual offense.

In this style of offense, he's a horrible fit for us.

Also, CP3 makes $35+ million a year, Ben Simmons $6 million. Sixers dont have any big, tradeable contracts, except Embiid.

Bo6 likes this.
  7. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

In my opinion this is only something that happens if we bring in a new coach and new system. I have a strong feeling that D’Antoni is gone. I have no proof but I feel like the writing is on the wall.

At that point it’s time to start building for the new coach’s system. Probably one Harden wants to play in like he said at all star weekend. Mike Brown from GS maybe?

We can also make the salaries work. If we can convince Butler to come then we can S&t and make some salaries work there. I don’t think it’s completely impossible.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

They'll have cap space if at least one between Butler and Harris is gone, but yeah, overall i just don't see it, if they would ever make SImmons available other teams would still offer way more than us.

9. JayZ750

Then they should back up the brinks truck to a guy like Kemba.

Vivi likes this.
  10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I'd agree with that. Our current offensive system wouldn't work.

Salaries could work as they have to sign Butler/Harris/Reddick. All are up for big money contracts. I think they might be the only team that would entertain the idea of Cp3 because frankly, Cp3 getting Embiid great looks (without the defense collapsing on him like it currently does with Simmons negative gravity) would make them a serious threat in the east.

11. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If you guys think shooting three pointers and layups is predictable try taking away three pointers... that would be Ben Simmons.

Denovo likes this.
  12. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

Ben Simmons will be the next Michael Carter Williams.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He was not available all 4th quarter last night.

Embid was running the PG position from the three point line.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

cmon dude bring in one of the worst 3 ball shooters in history to a team that shoots the most 3 balls in history? Ugh. Its gonna be one of THOSE offseasons.

15. JayZ750

The idea that the Sixers need two backcourt players that can shoot threes is sound.

The idea that it has to be CP3 or he's the only option, doesn't make sense.

As someone else noted, they could just pass on Butler and Harris, and have plenty of cap space and throw it all at a Kyrie or Kemba.

I'm not saying that's what they should do, or that either of those would be a better option than 3 years ago CP3. But they'd be better than this CP3, with this contract, unquestionably.

16. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I'm sorry but the Rockets seem to have gotten lucky with a Harden individual performance each and every night to make the fourth bseed playoffs. Outside of Cp, Harden and Rivers the team can barely competently dribble a basketball at NBA level or even know when and how to set picks without proper instruction. How can a contender have players that don't put the effort into box out for a rebound?

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Follows that with a proposition that is questionable in both its effectiveness and feasibility. Hilarity ensues.

[​IMG]

18. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The conundrum is if he could only shoot. Philly would rather let Butler go then Simmons.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I see Simmons as a top 10 trade piece in the NBA. If they send him out it's for a SUPER STAR.

I'd love him here because he represents something we are lacking. Youth and potential.