1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hello Old Friend

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Space City, May 7, 2019.

1. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

It is not that anyone wants to see him replace the step-back 3 or floater with the step-back mid-range shot. It is that we want him to use it so the defense can't key in on just those two things. It doesn't even have to be a step-back shot. In game 3 Harden had a wide open 15 footer but instead opted to dribble all the way back to the 3pt line to take a contested 3. That doesn't make any sense to me. If Harden used the mid-range jumper more he would probably see his efficiency go up.

Easy likes this.
  2. alethios

alethios Member

It's also good that he can get away with the chicken wing push off to create space. I want him to shoot more of these and also more in the post. It's a great momentum stopper for the other team.

3. BreakYoSelfFool

Yes, a floater is a hard shot, but a slight push-off-360-spin stop-fade away jumper over 7-footer or great defender is way harder. Most people couldn't even hit the backboard. Its an impressive shot, but best when used very sparingly because the refs would key in and call the foul. Keep in mind the risk increased of offensive foul, trailing defender, and shot block along with added difficulty from defender proximity.

My fault for even bringing up mid-range, because this isn't a true midrange shot, its a high post play well inside the free-throw line. Still it is a well contested shot inside the arc from over 10ft away. Normally Harden would hit an 3pt shooter in that corner for a 3 attempt in that situation if possible. If you watch the throwback play, Steph stayed with his man and as did the other defenders. This doesn't happen much anymore. From the 2 plays in last game, the first play Tucker had left the corner and cut to the basket and Dray cut off the pass to him in the restricted area. The shot might even be my least favorite part of the play. My favorite part of this play would be a rocket moving off the ball to create opportunities while Harden is isolating (much needed). Or maybe the box out (much needed) creating a offensive rebound(much needed) and getting a 2nd attempt(much needed). The last play he made the shot, but also had an open (wide-open?) Chris Paul in the corner and would have been a great play as well to pass to him.

I'm all for shooting an open mid-range, but if you really watch these plays and say James got an open shot on any of them, we have very different definitions of open and wide open.

4. Game7

Game7 Member

4 or so years ago that step back at the top of the key was automatic for him. It felt like it went in every time and he used it a lot. He has to pepper in these types of shots in the playoffs to keep defenses wondering what he will do next. Good job, Jim!

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Faded away nicely.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yep. It's always good to have more weapons. Everyone knows that a machine gun is a potent weapon. But there are situations when a knife is a more effective weapon than an AK47.