1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets needs to overcome closing minutes breakdown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mastan, May 7, 2019.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I watched the game, rewatched the entire 2nd half and this morning went through and watched video play by play.

The one you are describing was the last shot he made. And 1-3 is an exceptional way to prove a point. Because it’s exactly what happened and based on his career shooting numbers from that area we shouldn’t expect much better.

Your claim that it somehow made it easier to get to the basket because of those 3 midrange shots is a HUGE,inaccurate, reach to try to further prop up your side of the argument for more midrange. He was getting to the basket all game.

And I actually didn’t dislike that last shot he made at all. Got massive separation and a great look. Don’t think we can expect THAT good of a look consistently, but it worked last night.

2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I really don't know why Harden doesn't go for more midrange late in the game. I understand the slow down iso ball strategy to limit turnovers and run the clock, but it's clear that midrange is better to close games, and the math supports it. This is one I can't figure out.

HP3 and hakeem94 like this.
  3. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Agree 100% here. Pushing the pace and whipping the ball around is dangerous because of the risk of TOs. The Warriors are damn near impossible to stop in the open court. I'm fine with running the clock down and Harden iso'ing, but he needs to utilize a mix of the stepback 3, midrange, and floater.

Harden has whipped out more moves and countermoves this series than I've seen before, hesitating and pulling back his dribble in the midrange. It's thrown the Warriors defenders off and allowed him to be effective against Iggy, who was -17 in Game 4. Harden was surgical out there most of the night, but reverted to old tendencies late in the game. Natural to go to what you know best, but those missed threes and long rebounds allowed GS to get easy buckets in transition.

If Harden can make this small adjustment at end of games, I love our chances the rest of the way (jk, I still love our chances if Harden plays exactly the same as he has thus far).

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His is what I brought up in my thread about bad habits. I don’t think it is about midrange shots but about passivity in the part of the team. I know there are stats that show that Harden’s O efficiency is as good or better than Durant’s but the when it comes down to crunch time in the last two games we’re seeing wasted possessions. GSW is a great team and we can’t afford to waste possessions where we put up bad shots or turn the ball over late in the shot clock. Further while GSW looks tired late in the game so do we and tired legs don’t lead to successful threes. This is what doomed is in game 7 last year when GSW said they knew we were going to tire out and not get threes. It’s almost cost us the last two games.

hakeem94 and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  5. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Plus James Harden missed a free throw GOT TO HIT BOTH OF THEM

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. icewill36

icewill36 Member

we have to stop dribbling the shot clock down to 5 seconds and then trying to score on a shrunken floor. the warriors are choosing to double harden if we try a pick n roll.... so initiate early, let them trap and hit the open man. now its a 4 on 3 situation. just trust the others to make a play, or live with a harden step back 3 which is the only shot available if he keep dribbling the clock down

7. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Yea, i get it...but these are the warriors....they arent just going to fold and die.

Good way to get the W

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lol, here it is again with the “we don’t want a plan B!!” Brigade. It’s either “they can’t shoot those shots, or they don’t make them well enough. 99% NBA players can make that shot open. Some can’t contested, but guys like James that can drill contested 3s can absolutely hit that shot at a high % even with close coverage. He used to get separation on that shot all the time. It’s like arguing James can only make contested floaters but not layups.

If there is a minute to go and you anticipate 2 possessions it is mind boggling how anybody would be stupid enough to not take the higher % shot..especially if your opponent is not anticipating it. No... that isn’t even far enough or do my point justice, your opponent is daring you so hard he’s guarding you from behind.

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Beard is doing it.

But, he needs to be driving, late, in that situation. GS had no answer...and he went away from it, settling for threes. He's going to make it, get fouled, or create for others a high % of the time. Have to manage/play it smart there.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Very Bob O'Brien/football-esque.

Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, punt.

Eat 22 seconds of clock, dribble, dribble, dribble, jack up three.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

People cannot excuse our play, it was terrible and it should've been a blowout. I put most on Harden and CP3, but also our coaches. Cannot just let our guys do that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Ok. But none of that has to do with the main thing I harped on about your original post was this “opened up his ability to drive” claim from his midrange shooting. That’s not what happened in this game.

He was getting by his defender and into the lane all game and if anything it was that he started like 6-11 from 3 that really made it easy for him to get by his man because they were honoring that 3 ball.

HP3 and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  13. rocks123

rocks123 Member

it is logical to attack the basket and take open midrange than contested three point shots but old habits die hard i guess. HISTORICALLY gsw is a great three point shooting team and can score in bunches if they want to. so maybe at the back of houstons mind they need to handle the ball longer and shoot three so INCASE gsw GOES ON A SHOOTING SPREE in the fourth Houston can keep up. or maybe its really part of their game plan to OUTSHOOT GSW from 3 no matter what or whatever the situation. You can beat us in other aspect of the game but you cant outshoot us from three kind of mentality.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

almost justified his choker reputation last night...luckily he was outchoked by durant and curry

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes probably afraid the refs wont give him calls on the drives

Plowman likes this.
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still think you have to make them call it ...especially @ home..and after all the shenanigans.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I am sick of all the tomfoolery and ballyhoo going on with the zebras

Plowman likes this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

When we play our best is when I see flashes of Nash Phoenix Suns, run in transition and move the ball.

When we play our worst is when I see flashes of McHale iso to death stagnant offense.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Harden should just shoot mid-range, CP3 too.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

We are only talking about the offensive problems because the defense gives up quick layups and wide open 3s at the end of the game on the regular. Steph's Game 3 was only bad because Houston essentially gave him easy layups that he blew. I understand this isn't a favorable matchup for Clint but we could stand to gain some paint presence late in games when we are trying to protect a lead.