1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets needs to overcome closing minutes breakdown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mastan, May 7, 2019.

1. mastan

mastan Member

They almost blew the leads last night...fortunately they survived. But their closing minutes game plan specially on the offensive end remains a big suspect. I hope they overcome that.

metalshred, s3ts, napalm06 and 7 others like this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I put this squarely on Harden’s shoulders to prevail at the end. I don’t trust Chris Paul, and never have in the waning moments of a basketball game.

Stormy1234 and JW86 like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A great point. Less iso and more ball movement/ cutting is needed.

Continue with more mid range shots when the three ball isn't there.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

3pt shot not the best in closing minutes of the game. Need to go with the highest individual % shot. Glad harden nailed 1-2 midrange with ease. Was also able to get to the basket easier as a result

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought it was good at least they didn't turn it over.

I actually don't think Harden should "run a play" in those situations because any passes in the lane might result in a turnover and instant fast break. I think if he drives, it should be floater only because they might foul him and not get a call, Harden falls down and it's a 4 v 5 fast break.

I vote Harden go back to his patented turnaround step back at the free throw line in these situations for several reasons.
    1. it's a easier shot to make when you have tired legs vs step back 3.
    2. defenders are not zoned in to guard that shot
    3. Harden is in a good position to run back on defense if he misses
    4. almost no chance at a turnover.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this is a pattern all season long and imo it stems from getting too complacent and just trying to run out the clock. i can see the thought process in not wanting to drive and risk getting fouled with no call, which then likely ends up in an easy fastbreak for GS. but pringles needs to run a few set plays and harden/paul still need to get into the paint. they need to break down the defense instead of the just waiting till the shotclock's almost expired and chucking up a bad 3

metalshred, CDrex, Jake Tower and 3 others like this.
  7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I agree, but I also want to point out that this is basically what has happened in every game. The away team is down 8-10, goes on a run, but everytime they get it down to like 5, the home team hits a big shot. We need to be stronger in closing minutes on the road. We can't take 23 second step back threes. Even if you're on fire. We need open GOOD looks.

8. gotsis

gotsis Member

More midrange and they should mix it up. I get running down the clock, but sometimes attacking the defense early could get a esay basket due to them not expecting it.

metalshred, mastan and hakeem94 like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

people forget who houston is playing. this team is going to make there runs and runs and runs. that's the difference between houston and the majority of the league. most can't handle it

we can talk about how they need to do this and that. and sure it sounds like a better decisions on paper but easier said than done. people say harden needs to drive. for what? the fouls they aren't calling. then GS gets an easy bucket on the other end as a result.

#9 YOLO, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME

11. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

We really need to be a bit better in these situations, seems like we blown leads everytime down the streatch, forced shots with no rhythm, risky plays and dumb turnovers...

But iìm not sure what's causing this...sometimes i would almost like to post up Nene is these situations, too bad he would get killed on D so we can't play him down the stretch. But Chris just can't get past his man, James is probably hesitant to attack cause he knows he's not getting fouls, Gordon would probably lose the ball or make a dumb pass...in the end i guess trusting James and his stepback 3 or whatever he can come up with is still the best option we have.

HP3 likes this.
  13. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

Harden becomes way too passive when he drives, gets hacked, and doesn't get the call. He basically just gives up on driving completely when it happens. I don't think he drove a single time after the fast break where he got hit by Livingston.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I just went through the shot chart and play by play. Harden was 1-3 on midrange shots that were non floaters. The only one he hit was at the very end of the game.

The midrange had zero to do with his ability to get to the basket last night.

HP3 and YOLO like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

and then KD went right back and hit one right after that play

HP3 likes this.
  16. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Shoot the open 2 point shot vs a contested 3. Simple.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Did you watch the game? Also 1-3 is not a good way to prove your point. Missing one extra shot makes him go from 1-2 to 1-3 and I believe one of those was rushed in the shotclock. The one he made he stepped back and had 5 feet open at the FT line. That’s automatic

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Make free throws. Simple.

mastan likes this.
  19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Make your free throws, keep attacking the rim. They took some bad late-clock jumpers.

20. mastan

mastan Member

Yesterday over last 2:31 minutes Rockets managed only 2 points from free throws (missed 2 FT) and no field basket.. similar things happened in almost all 4 games probably except for the 3rd game OT.