1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Asian Sensation

Apologies if I offend you. I appreciate your input no matter how good (smoked fried chicken, Chuy’s dip) or questionable (BK 10 piece nuggets for 99 cents) they are.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how is Fatty calling a 99er 'kid'?

He lost his chance to be part of our celestial being club

can't be calling the brotherhood kid

CourtOfDreams likes this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah meant Corky's. Gone down hill since they started franchising.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Best BBQ chicken is at the original Rudys in San Antone.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, and I just realized I screwed up, too. I was thinking of Cozy Corner, not Corky's. lol.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Thinking about taking a long lunch and venturing out of the tunnels for Jackson Street BBQ today.

7. Buck Turgidson

That's a nationwide restaurant chain. How lame.

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

Have you had the Bibimbap? No joke. Best I've had, and I've been to several.

9. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Buck’s in EaDo is the best in this area. Then El Burro y Bull. Jackson St is not too shabby. Not as good as Gatlin’s (same owner with Bryan Caswell as well).

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure how bibimbap qualifies as BBQ except they both phonetically start with “bb”.

arkoe likes this.
  11. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Have y'all ever been to Burns BBQ? Acres Homes, scary place.

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Tried Charlies (Beaumont) Off of this new list the other day while passing through there on the way back to Louisiana. brisket above-average, sauce average to slightly above-average, homemade sausage links had a decent flavor by that I did not like the texture of the meat it was mealy and strange..

I would highly recommend a couple places in Houston to y'all while we are discussing

Luling Market which I believe is off of Richmond and 610 make some of the best everything and their sauce is tops in the world. Try their homemade sausage links.

Also very good is the Hickory Pit which is on Bissonnet and South rice I think? My family has been eating there for as long as I has been alive and we would always make a point to visit when coming down to Texas from the Montana as a kid. Unfortunately my sister passed away last August and my parents and I were in Houston for that and we all went to the Hickory Pit together working behind the counter were the three same Latino guys throughout my whole childhood and adult life when I lived in Houston. But I had not seen them for many years. The food was the same as always it was, outstanding. the sauce has a little bit of spice to it. They also make a killer french fry.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Anybody been to Reveille in Magnolia/Pinehurst area? Theyre supposed to be good. One of the pit masters (who used to work at Feigis) graduated with my brother and I think one of the owners was the father of a classmate of mine.

I'm gonna have to try them out when I'm in town potentially next month.

#1513 Two Sandwiches, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
  14. Buck Turgidson

I remember it being really good.

I went there once and never went back.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Daniel's Meat Market in Baytown might be some of the worst non-chain bbq brisket I've ever had. Anyone that pre-slices their brisket and leaves in it a tomato based mush waiting to be served should be out of business. Their watery sauce didn't improve things. Ribs were decent. Boudain balls and potato salad were pretty good.

I'm making a brisket on my Big Green Egg tomorrow. 2nd attempt. First attempt was decent but I got the cook time all wrong. Thought It would be a 12-14 hour cook and it ended up being 8. Got it off in time but I should've unwrapped it in the cooler earlier than I did. Was still 6 hours from eating when I pulled it off and I put it in the cooler and It kept cooking.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Been meaning to try it... its on 1774 but the opposite end of the Renaissance Fair.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yep. It's actually right where I grew up. I grew up a lot of my life in a few different houses. Two were within a couple miles and another was like five miles away.

It was named one of the top 25 new BBQ joints in Texas by Texas Monthly.

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I had the exact opposite opinion of this place.. had their brisket and sausage and it was the dryest BBQ I've maybe ever had. For me both were borderline inenedible, not at all enjoyable, and their sides were below average.

Maybe I caught Luling on a bad day, but in that area I'd go to either Fegis or The Pit Room.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

C19D69EA-6667-4745-9E29-A92696B33BD6.jpeg 14 hours of love.

20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

how come? the food or the area?