1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mueller: Letter to Barr says Summary, “Failed to Capture Context, Nature & Substance” of Report

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Apr 30, 2019.

1. TheresTheDagger

2. TheresTheDagger

I guess I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around "obstruction" charges when the purported underlying crime that touched off the entire investigation was found to be untrue.

How can any otherwise legal act undertaken by the President obstruct justice if the finding was he was innocent all along of the original charge collusion/conspiracy? Imagine the precedent that would set.

Nook likes this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

ur publicizing that ur under-informed.

u'd be well served to read the Mueller report and Mueller's letters to Barr.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

“Free college” has nothing to do with this thread. If people want to discuss that topic, or other similar topics, start a thread about it.

I’m glad there’s a discussion continuing. One of our kids who lives out of town came in for a visit today, so I’ll be posting when I get a chance, but not as often as I would like until he leaves. Let’s keep the discussion about the actual topic, folks. Anything else is simply derailing the topic of Barr lying to Congress about the Mueller Report, a crime, and his interactions with Mueller himself. Barr’s refusal to let Congress see critical parts of the Mueller Report, even in closed session. Crucial sections that Mueller had every intention of Congress seeing and making its own determination about the worth its content. Sections like Mueller’s executive summaries. That and related topics, not 2020 election issues that have no business here.

The fantasy that Barr’s 4 page summary proved that trump had been exonerated is just that. A fantasy perpetrated by Barr, who’s acting as trump’s personal attorney, rather that the people’s attorney general, and perpetrated by the administration and it’s proven liars, like Huckabee-Sanders, who is continuing her blatant dishonesty, something that trump’s supporters here seem to care nothing about. In fact, they seem to relish that dishonesty, something I find very disturbing.

Barr’s refusal to give direct answers to questions, eating up the 5 minutes each member, particularly Democratic members, is given in committee by dissembling until time has expired. A committee in a Senate with a Republican majority that clearly has little interest in getting to the truth of the content of the Mueller Report. His refusal to testify before the House because it has a Democratic majority that won’t allow him to evade answering questions. That wants Barr to answer questions from attorney’s able to ask follow up questions without the 5 minutes restriction, something Barr is refusing to do, even in closed session. That, and so much more. “Free college” and other 2020 campaign rhetoric deserves to be in threads about the 2020 election. That is not what this is.

I’ll add that trump’s absurd attempt to prevent former White House Counsel Don McGahn from testifying before Congress is a topic that should be discussed here. McGahn is mentioned and referenced numerous times in the Mueller Report. McGahn is no longer an employee at the White House. The White House has claimed numerous times that they waived executive privilege for McGahn’s testimony before Mueller’s investigators. That waiving of executive privilege can’t be “brought back” after it has been given away.

There is nothing preventing McGahn’s testimony before Congress, including the House, which begs the question, why is the White House attempting to deny that testimony? Why are they trying so hard to prevent any information from getting to Congress, something that is unprecedented? Even during Watergate, Nixon didn’t issue a blanket denial of all potential evidence. Why is trump and his people? What are they trying to hide? And why are his supporters appearing to lack any curiosity about what that evidence is? I find that disturbing and bizarre. I'll add that I was an adult during Watergate and am very familiar with what happened then, and the remarkable contrast with what the trump administration is attempting today.

More when I get the chance. Keep it going, folks! Just try to keep things on topic, and let’s not get too personal with particular members, OK? It’s simply another derail and often devolves in emotional responses that serve little purpose. I’ll attempt not to do the same, but rather try to address them in a more general way. It may be difficult. ;-)

quikkag likes this.
  6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

That's not what he said, he said that while the olc guidelines would prevent him from pursuing an indictment, that even if that wasn't the case, there was insufficient evidence for an indictment.

The olc ruling wouldn't prevent a sealed indictment, it would simply prevent one from happening while he was in office (as the ruling is related to the functions of the president, not the person), and they've made statements that no sealed indictments of any kind exist.

7. Nook

Nook Member

It happens all the time. The underlying cause of an investigation doesn’t need to be proven for there to be obstruction of justice. You don’t even have to be successful at undermining an investigation for there to be obstruction of justice.

Andrew Napolitano put it best on Fox News. This is a classic case of obstruction of justice. The question is whether there is any real reason to impeach. The election is not too far away and the American people know what happened, they can decide. I have some constitutional attorney friends that say you impeach if you have evidence of a crime because otherwise it sets a bad precedence.

I think the the political culture in this country since Clinton has been toxic. Honestly Clinton never should have been impeached. GW Bush never should have been portrayed as an enemy of America by the left and the right shouldn’t have obstructed everything Obama did. It has only escalated the last 25 years.

quikkag likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

False, he never said there was insufficient evidence for an indictment on obstruction of justice. Likewise he never said there was sufficient evidence for an indictment.

He spelled out the OLC guidelines (without offering an opinion on them), said he was bound by them as an employee. He stated that Bar confirmed that a sitting President would not be indicted.

He then spelled out 10 incidents of potential obstruction of justice... then countered with 6 counter points.

He then shot down the idea that Bar presented that a sitting President can not be guilty of obstruction of justice. He next stated that congress has the power and responsibility to impeach a public figure if they have committed a crime and no one is above the law. He also said a President could be charged criminally when no longer in office.

Mueller was very careful to be as objective as possible. For example he spelled out that an indictment against a sitting President would not be fair under the OLC guidelines because there would be no charges and the President would not be able to have his day in court.

No Worries likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah because that is Cohen’s fault...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is there a perjury case against Barr? Mikhaila Fogel and Quinta Jurecic argue at Lawfare that there isn't.

On May 2, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi made an accusation: Attorney General William Barr, she said, had lied to Congress. And the speaker emphasized: “That’s a crime.”

Pelosi’s comments referred not to Barr’s testimony the previous day before the Senate Committee on the Judiciary but, rather, to his comments during a previous appearance in front of the House appropriations committee on April 9, after Barr released his letter characterizing Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s conclusions but before the release of Mueller’s report itself. Pelosi’s accusation is serious, and it adds fuel to the fire stoked by congressional Democrats demanding that Barr step down.

There’s just one problem: The legal standard for perjury is a high one, and it’s highly unlikely that the attorney general’s comments clear that bar. . . . ​

https://www.lawfareblog.com/there-perjury-case-against-barr

Nook likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

McGahn isn’t (and never was) the personal attorney for the President. He was WH counsel and there is a difference. Now, Trump can make an argument of executive privilege on anyone that spoke on certain sensitive topics but I think that was waived by Flood when Trump didn’t object during the investigation.... as a side note, the President needs better attorney representation... his counsel has put him in a tough spot.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Perjury is very difficult to prove. Kavanaugh came closer than Barr. With Barr the issue is what repercussions should there be for willingly lying and deceiving the American people.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Nobody knows what Mueller's exact complaint was so how could Barr? Mueller just gave some vague nonsense, so Barr called him up and Mueller still gave vague nonsense.

Mueller is a political hack.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think everyone, including Barr, knew what Mueller's complaint was, and most people understood why that complaint was legitimate.

15. tallanvor

which was........

here's his letter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/cont...696-845a-1b45ad32fff1/?utm_term=.e588a69aae84

please tell me what he thought Barr left out of his summary of the conclusions.

Do you ever wonder why Mueller's team wrote this letter instead of just calling Barr?

#235 tallanvor, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Anyone that practices law knows why Mueller wrote a letter instead of relying on a conversation with Bill Barr.

superfob and Deckard like this.
  17. tallanvor

Its easier to leak a letter. That's why.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Probably true.

Had to get the truth out. Couldn't let a traitor like Barr control the narrative.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not everyone. Some don’t know as they don’t care to follow any of this or anything political for that matters. Some of these folks don’t consume any media or at least this type of media. Some may have seen some media and bought into the narrative of Barr and Trump.

For those that at least are somewhat aware and believe Trump is already a crook but don't care, I know it’s hard to believe, but people could change their mind.

And probably most important, the people that knows Trump is crooked and don't care that he is one... still can quite easily care if he's a criminal. Did he actually omitted obstruction of justice? Pretty clear to me, but probably not clear to half of American that is hearing two different sides, one of which is from the President and his AG that has completely misled and lied to the American people. Due to Barr disgraceful actions, the DEM does have another card to play - they can extend Congressional investigations indefinitely, or at least till the election or Barr is gone. But to me, go ahead and gather what they need, but it's already enough to start impeachment proceeding and they should do so.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Your character assassination is laughable. I think you might be the only person to ever associate 'vague' and 'nonsense' with Robert Mueller.
    He wrote the letter because he absolutely knew Barr purposely mischaracterized the report for Fox News consumption and to allow the Trumpanistas to shout "no Collusion" and input that idea into the public consciousness before the legally complex, nuanced report became public knowledge. It was a simplified misrepresentation offered for their low information base.