1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SPOILERS THREAD] Avengers: Endgame

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Apr 27, 2019.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

It allows whoever holds the gauntlet to snap their fingers in rhythm. Have you ever seen someone with no soul, snap their fingers to a song off beat? Its terrifying.

2. droxford

droxford Member

I was surprised at how much I didn't enjoy the movie. I'd give it a 5/10. Off the top of my head, here's a list of the things I didn't like:
    • I didn't like hybrid BannerHulk. Although Banner was used in a few parts of the movie (helping with the time travel, getting the time stone) he really didn't contribute much to the story, and Hulk was not used for anything at all (*maybe* the snap to bring people back). I feel like I didn't see the Hulk at all in Endgame.

• Fat Thor was funny for a few seconds. But I didn't like that they had him fat, ineffective, and cowardly throughout the movie. He's always been one of the most powerful characters, and to see him run away from trouble feels disengenuous to the character.

• I didn't like how casually they had characters performing time travel. It seemed too fast and too easy, with not enough explanation.

• It also seemed like there were a lot of plot holes with the timelines. It seemed like they progressed the movie quickly to try to keep us from thinking about them. I suspect that, upon watching the movie more times, I will see huge plot holes.

• I didn't like them killing Iron Man, especially now that he has a wife and kid. I kinda knew that Chris Evans didn't wanna play Capt. America any more. And we've already lost characters like Vision and Black Widow, so I don't see why they'd kill Iron Man other than to get out of Robert Downey Jr.'s massive contract.

• Thanos' toughness seemed inconsistent. At the beginning, the Avengers attacked him and killed him with relative ease, doing so without Iron Man or other Avengers. Later in the movie, Thanos was nearly invincible.

• I didn't like the "girl-power" moment. It felt like they were going out of their way to appeal to feminists. My wife hated it, too.

• To me, Captain Marvel's short haircut (and her Ellen Degeneres pants-suit at the funeral) seemed like a deliberate attempt to appeal to lesbian and gay audiences. Would not be surprised if they have Captain Marvel come out of the closet in the future. Next up: the Ambiguously Gay Duo.

• NOTE: I'm not intimidated by having a powerful female character - I greatly like Scarlet Witch (much more than Capt. Marvel) and I thought it was awesome when Wanda took on Thanos by herself. I felt THAT was a much better demonstration of a strong woman, without it being in-your-face feminism.

• It didn't make sense to me that Captain Marvel spent all of the movie helping other planets cope with loss, when she could have been helping RESOLVE the loss by helping the Avengers. It's as if the Russo brothers said, "she's too powerful to include her in all the primary parts of the movie - she'd kick too much butt and there wouldn't be enough protagonist struggle. Let's write her out until the end"

• Rocket didn't seem very Rocket-ish, and, aside from Nebula, none of the Guardians of the Guardians contributed to the story at all.

• How was Thanos able to catch and hold Stormbreaker? Certainly, he's not worthy.

• I don't see how Sam can become the new Captain America when he has no super powers at all.

• Movie pacing at the beginnning felt too slow, while pacing at the end felt too rushed.

#162 droxford, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    RKREBORN, studogg and robbie380 like this.
  3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think they don't think they want to pay RDJ anymore.

Thanos had done that snap plus he got stabbed so he was in a weakened state. Also after he had done his mission I don't think he cared anymore.

Captain Marvel seems was too powerful. She blew up the ship. Why couldn't she nuke Thanos from space. I think Wanda is the most powerful avenger. I mean she can create new realities. I mean she could have a just created a new reality after thanos did the snap.

4. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

That happened in Captain America: The First Avenger when the Red Skull unwisely touched the Tesseract with his bare hands and vanishes. In reality he's transported to Vormir, becomes a wraith and is doomed to a purgatory where he can guide souls to the Soul Stone but can never possess it for himself.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's just weird that the stones are connected like that. Like other people have touched the stones with their hands, why didn't they get taken to be guardians of the soul stone?

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You hit on a lot of the issues I had but I still enjoyed it. The rumor from reddit posts was that the Russos didn’t want Capt Marvel in the Infinity War/Endgame saga but Disney pushed it. They basically wanted Hulk to do most of what she did. I wish the final battle was longer and man it would have been bad ass if they had Hulk basically do the Capt Marvel stuff. Have Hawkeye get sacrificed for the soul stone then Professor Hulk watches Black Widow get killed by Thanos’ ship and he loses control and goes almost Worldbreaker Hulk and wrecks the ship. They keep fighting over the gauntlet and Tony gets it and snaps and dusts Thanos and his army. Maybe even have Tony bring back Natasha when he snaps whatever....that ending would have been bad ass in my mind.

Anyhow, they should have saved her for the next phase if they wanted to introduce her....oh well.

arkoe and donkeypunch like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's slightly more useful than that kid from Captain Planet who had the power of Heart.

elrond likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not only that, it wouldve gave Hulk his redemption at Thanos for making him his b**** and having him cower away in Banner for the whole of Infinity War.

robbie380 and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Good lord, man. No offense, but a lot of these points you made should be prefaced by you just saying "I didn't pay attention." I'll just address the ones that aren't your personal preferences

He was the first one ready to go after Thor at the beginning when they found out where Thanos was, didn't really take a whole lot of convincing to get in on Time Heist, and then once again gung-ho to go after Thanos when he returned at the end. His hangups over seeing his mom and his personal failure were ok with me.

It was just the basic "traveling to the past doesn't change the present, it just creates an alternate timeline" setup. It's honestly the best way to do time travel and doesn't create many holes (except for Cap at the end, who should have showed up as an old man back on the pad instead of on the bench since he lived his life in an alternate timeline).

At the beginning he had JUST used the stones to destroy themselves and literally says he nearly died in the effort. I mean, he was limping and his arm was basically useless. They did everything they could to tell you how much destroying the stones had massively weakened him. I don't know what to tell you. I thought they made it pretty clear.

Okay, this one irks tf outta me. It was a homage/shout out to the A-Force team and comics. Had they done a similar homage to an all male team NOBODY would be talking about how they were going out of their way to appeal to men or complaining about the "boy power" scene. Even if they didn't get it they would just ask what the scene was about, like they did with the original Guardians of the Galaxy team that got a shout out in GOTG Vol 2.

Christ... literally all they did is give her the same haircut she had in the comics.

Like how? By going to time periods she knew nothing about to infiltrate places where she wouldn't fit in? The only times her powerset would have been of use is when they were directly confronting Thanos, and both times they did that, she was there.

Rocket didn't seem like himself because, I dunno, maybe his entire family just died (and even then he still had plenty of his trademark sarcasm and wit)? And he was able to retrieve one of the infinity stones. That was a pretty big contribution. Also, if 2014 Gamora doesn't free current Nebula, 2014 Nebula gets the gauntlet and it's a wrap. As for the rest of the Guardians, they literally didn't exist for most of the movie. You could say the same for everyone else that died in the snap.

You don't have to be worthy to wield Stormbreaker. Odin only put that enchantment on Mjonir and was long dead by the time Stormbreaker was made. Remember how happy Thor was when Mjonir came to him in Asgard and he said "I'm still worthy!" ? Why would he be that elated when he could already carry Stormbreaker around?

Captain America himself would punch you in the mouth for that one. Wielding the shield has NEVER been about the powers, but rather the character of the man behind it. That's why when Falcon said "I'll do my best" Cap replied with "That's why it's yours."

Blatz, arno_ed, Eric Riley and 12 others like this.
  11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Great answers all around. You passed the quiz.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don't get how you guys are still convinced that Cap living with Peggy created an alternate timeline. There's no proof of that. Go back though this thread. He lived in this same timeline.

13. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

…..and Scarlet Johannsen has pointy elbows! :D

Xerobull and justtxyank like this.
  14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Here's a question.

So, at the end of the movie -- the final battle, the funeral scene, and the final Cap scene -- is this in 2023? Or still in the past year (whatever year that was) that they went back to?

Also, is the Spiderman movie going to be set in 2023, since it picks up right after this movie? (And is Trump still president in 2023? :p)

Inquiring nerds want to know..... :D

15. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Eh, I think the poster that thinks this movie is 5/10 is being too harsh, but I tend to agree with this one. Cap has the super soldier serum, that's what makes him special -- that, plus his character traits. Bucky becomes Cap in the comics; but he also has some blood doping going on.

Having a Cap that has no powers doesn't make sense.

And is Sam going to ditch his wings? :D

Don't get me wrong, I liked the scene, but it doesn't make sense.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

There will always be one
    Excellent points. . .
    Not saying it is the case here but
    there will always be someone that will hate/nit pick to death something that is popular
    just to be on the other side of it .. . . .

[​IMG]
    LOL

Rocket River

justtxyank likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Technically Cap is PEAK HUMAN
    While he is at humanities peak . .. .he is not super powered
    If a human ate right and exercised intensely . .. they could become as fit as Capt America
    physically that is

Rocket River

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

Both Bucky and Sam become captain america at different times in the comics so it's really just a nod to it.

Rocket River likes this.
  19. marky :)

marky :) Member

I need to find the Q&A with the director but I believe he said the Cap/Peggy life was a different timeline then jumped back to the "original" timeline at the end. I may be mistaken.

20. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

He's got a few more abilities/powers as well.

Xerobull likes this.