1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Should we keep MDA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, May 1, 2019.

?

Is it time to move on from MDA?

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. No

63 vote(s)
    56.8%
  1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

IF WE LOSE THIS SERIES IN 4-5 GAMES.

I have no clue.

He's a good coach, but he got lazy in Houston IMO.

I don't know who we'd get to replace him?

Harden would probably want him to stay.

Would you keep him?

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Doesn't matter who comes here, we still going to run that same offense.

3. Fantasma Negro

Is he even coaching this team tho? Seriously, nothing about this team says MDA offense besides the proliferation and bastardization of three point shots. I'd say replace him but I don't know what else is out there, Ettore Messina would be interesting but lets see how the series goes, MDA may find his redemption

Lawlruschang likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

He got lazy? What do u even mean by that? We’re thinking about firing coaches for not being able to beat the ridiculously stacked Warriors now? Anyone who wants to fire MDA needs to bring up some viable alternatives that could do better...

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you're going to make a thread like this, come up with a viable replacement.

6. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I mean this offense doesn't really resemble his offenses in the past.

We walk the ball up and shoot in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock.

I think he got to Houston and was gifted Harden and Paul and proceeded to just sit back and watch the show,

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

MDA has been a little disappointing in the playoffs at times, but realistically we are "supposed" to lose this series due to the vast difference in talent level. We have not lost a series we've had HCA in with him, except last year due to injury.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Two questions:

Which other teams play the Warriors tougher than us?

Are we sure the Warriors are keeping this core together?

jordnnnn and waytookrzy079 like this.
  9. tested911

tested911 Member

If you're going to keep Harden then you keep MDA.

BaselineFade likes this.
  10. CCorn

CCorn Member

It’s Morey, not Dantonio, that’s having us play this ugly variance game.

smp and cheke64 like this.
  11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I'd like to see Jeff Bzdelik take over. He's a complete coach while Dantoni is not. Bzdelik also knows how to call timeouts properly in game as a head coach which Dantoni is inept at.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a MDA hater, he is 100 times the coach than someone like a Kevin McHale , or a Bickerstafff will ever be. However, there are giant holes to his coaching game that we must resolve as a team to truly be champions. MDA is too set in his ways in areas that drastically effect our oncourt game in a negative way in playoff basketball.

kevtse likes this.
  12. smp

smp Member

We are not running MDA’s offense. We are running Morey’s.

MDA likes the shoot fast and often offense. Run and gun. Don’t let the defense get set. Shoot early in the clock. Pull the ball out of the basket and push the ball. Try to get as many shots as possible in a game. It’s been a while but think back to when he first got here. We played his style of ball back then.

We switched it up though. Now we slow it down. Have Harden walk the ball up the court. Dribble out the clock. Run isolation and pick and roll. Shoot 3’s. Try to draw fouls. Don’t shoot midrange.

I don’t think the switch to this ugly, slow, ref dependent, offense was MDA’s choice. I think it’s Morey’s computer calling the shots.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The only thing that separates McHale from MDA is that he added a pick and roll.

Lawlruschang, smp and WarEagleRockets like this.
  14. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

This is a Morey/Harden offense. D’Antoni didn’t just forget how design an offense. This current system is nothing like a classic MDA offense.

He didn’t get lazy. This system was forced on him. If you fire him the next coach would have to conform as well.

If you want a different system you have to fire Morey, and trade Harden.

smp and cheke64 like this.
  15. Rocketeer4Life

OP needs perspective. We could've been the NBA champions last yr if not for Pauls injury.
    We are losing to arguably the best NBA team ever assembled.
    We could've and would've won game 1 if it wasn't for the refs.
    Rockets are currently one of the best offensive teams in history.
    If we have beaten or if we beat the Warriors, this team would arguably be one of the best in nba history.

Rock Block and Lawlruschang like this.
  16. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

Fire both Morey and MDA and Bring in Rick Adelman and a new GM. I've never seen a coach that gets the most out of people's talent like Adelman. We have 2 HOF players in Harden and CP3 and they have one of the most unstoppable Mid-Range game, but they just throw up shots until their arms fall off(and at that the most difficult shots you can take). Curry and Thompson has a clear look at the rim just about every time they shoot. It's obvious GS is not allowing Capela to get involved, so beat them with the mid-range/freethrow jumper and make them pay, which will free up Capela as well. Tired of seeing KD playing anti-Morey basketball and kicking our ass. If he was with the rockets he'd be throwing up 20 three pointers as well. But they actually call plays that allow him to be the dominant player he is with his mid-range and don't try to "reinvent" him to something else. Morey pretty much deduced basketball into a mathematical equation, and we consistently get our ass handed to us by teams like Spurs and GS who actually play sound basketball in the playoffs.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if he plays shumpert another minute in this series i'll have to consider pringles future w/ the team

18. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

typical clutch fans lol lose a few games, lets scrap everything, trade everyone.

19. smp

smp Member

Rick Adelman was the best coach we had since Rudy T. I never wanted to see him go.

20. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

Totally agree on Shumpert not playing. He jacked up multiple 3s yesterday in the stretch when Harden was out due to injury and missed. He is just terrible offensive player. I am not impressed at all with his D as he makes too many mistakes even in that area.

JuNx and pippendagimp like this.