1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Robbed - Clutch Headline on the Front Page

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deckard, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I had a rough time sleeping, so after maybe 3 hours of zzzz, I got up, ground some beans, and made some coffee. Thought I would look at the Front Page and check to see if @Clutch at least had time to give a short summary of the game yesterday. He did, and here it is. To be clear, I almost never start threads, certainly not in the GARM. It’s because I’ve found that there is a thread discussing pretty much anything worth discussing with a glance of the 1st and 2nd pages of this forum. If that subject isn’t there, or there is “breaking news,” fair enough. Someone will start a thread about it and I still won’t need to. I thought this worth breaking from my usual practice, so here is @Clutch’s title, followed by his sub-title and the game summary:

Rockets Robbed
    Too many missed threes, calls as Rockets fall in Game 1

How to officiate James Harden has been a debate for years, but one thing that has been universally accepted the past two years has been the clear foul of a defender encroaching on the shooter's landing spot.

That's why it was truly bizarre that the officials repeatedly refused to call blatant violations of that rule in Game 1 as the Rockets fell 104-100 to the Golden State Warriors.

James Harden had a rough shooting game. Clint Capela was a complete non-factor. The Rockets shot very poorly from long range.

But the story of the game was how Klay Thompson was repeatedly allowed to foul Harden on his stepbacks and the officials chose to ignore it.

"I just want a fair chance, man," said Harden. "We all know what happened a few years back with Kawhi Leonard. That can change an entire series. Just call the game how it's supposed to be called and we'll live with the results. It's plain and simple."

It very nicely sums up what happened to the Rockets yesterday. This is my take on @Clutch’s quick reaction to the game. We were robbed by the officials on calls, or the lack there of, on attempted 3’s by James Harden, which clearly impacted the play of the Rockets the rest of the game and, of course, the play of Harden. He was being defended by Klay Thompson, and the robbery was in “broad daylight.” In other words, the officials, and this is proven not only by video, but also by stills, show one or more officials looking right at the play as it happens.

Thompson knew exactly what he was doing, in my opinion, and after the first non-call, was likely encouraged to do it whenever he got the chance, which he proceeded to do 3 more times in the first half alone. That led to 9 free throw attempts by James that weren’t taken. Harden is a terrific free throw shooter and he finished the game hitting 13-14 from the charity stripe. Clearly, James would have made enough free throws yesterday to give the Rockets the victory in a game decided by 4 points. I’m not even including the flagrant one’s that should have been called, which would have led to 3 more free throw attempts, 12 in total.

@Clutch also pointed out that as a team, we shot poorly from 3, and that Harden had a rough shooting game. That percentage, of course, was impacted by the egregious non-calls that should have led to free throw attempts, but he makes a valid point. He also, correctly, points out that Clint Capela was inexplicably a complete non-factor. “But the story of the game was how Klay Thompson was repeatedly allowed to foul Harden on his stepbacks and the officials chose to ignore it.”

Discuss.

#1 Deckard, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was so bad that the Mavs and Jazz were on the Rockets side

3. juanm34

juanm34 Member

It seems that the worriers were notified beforehand about the rule adjustment. $**t was way to obvious for a “ missed call.”
    Time to test the refs in game 2 and undercut Klay as soon as the game starts. We got lucky Harden wasn’t injured on any of those ignored fouls.
    Worriers so worried about Harden they’re trying to take him out.

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I have always gone back and forth with the idea of the NBA being rigged, BUT NOW THERE IS NO DOUBT!!

THE NBA IS RIGGED!!!! They are selling a tainted product! They are not “PURE” like the Rockets!!!

#4 BamBam, Apr 29, 2019
  5. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Yes! Can the Rockets just undercut Klay, Steph and Durant? I'm never about players getting hurt, regardless of my hate for certain players. But in this case, it's retaliation. Just like in baseball - you bean my guy, i'm gonna bean you right back.

Hell.. I say even if the Rockets get called for a foul - keep doing it.

Jake Tower likes this.
  6. apatel123

apatel123 Member

the home team will get whistles. the precedent has been set.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

You really believe the Warriors won't get whistles on the road? Did you watch the Clippers series? Or the WCF last year?

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

When you think about it that way...wow.

luckyman76, Game7, hakeem94 and 5 others like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

In another thread - http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?members/motleydeflep6.45350/ - the OP brings up a good article in The Athletic about the Rockets analytical team (yes, Morey has one!) getting from the league the analysis of the called fouls, and the missed calls, of the games played by the Rockets. It includes the 2018 playoff series against Oakland, this past regular season, and yesterday’s game 1. It’s well worth a read and kudos to @motleydeflep6 for finding it. (surely you could have created a more difficult moniker for this 2 fingered cat to both remember and tap out!)

luckyman76, hakeem94 and mikol13 like this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

/end discussion

luckyman76, hakeem94, bro2044 and 2 others like this.
  11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Past discussing, tho not passed cussin'. Just gota win one - - the next game. Do it four times and it's thin air or roses. Let's find a way to get there.

ramotadab and Deckard like this.
  12. shtinkee

shtinkee Member

8 on 5. Just like last year in game 7.

Screw 'em and win the series anyway.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We have members who don’t post much coming out of the woodwork because of this!

;)

luckyman76, hakeem94 and BeBreezy like this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This is actually weighing fairly heavily on me. Of course being a fan of a team you’re going to want calls to go your way in the heat of the moment. That said, these non-calls on Klay were head scratchers to say the least.

To have a ref tell coach at halftime that they missed 4 calls in James is absolutely huge. Still, the officials never righted the ship in the 2nd half. I was literally thinking wth is going on here!? In a close game these lost points/possessions matter so much.

After the game I see the Amick piece and that the Rockets have been tracking this stuff for years. 93 points in the series last year with the Warriors is absolutely insane. We all saw it, but now we know the data backs up what we saw. The refs had an out (on the surface) because the Rockets shot so poorly and Paul was hurt. Well, you dig a little deeper and there shouldn’t have been 27 straight missed 3’s. Two of those were taken away. Point is, I truly feel like the league is pushing what they want to happen. Yes that is a very bold statement. I hate that I think this way, but I just believe it to be.

When is the league at its best FOR THE LEAGUE? Celtics/Lakers. Check. Jordan’s Bulls? Check. Lebron whether with Miami or Cavs? Check. Warriors dream team meeting and mostly beating Lebron on the regular? Check. I feel like NBA history is being created and molded by the NBA. This isn’t just the refs. I believe it’s one reason why we had Giannis crammed down our throats this year. The East needed a new superstar now that LeBron is gone. The torch is being passed. Not that Giannis isn’t great, ascending and deserve hype, but there is a real push there. What else does the East have to take on the mighty Warriors? There seems to be a push there to create NBA history without it taking a natural course.

I do not want to think all of this this is a huge conspiracy, but it’s really feeling that way, crazy as it sounds. I don’t think the league likes that the Rockets are collecting this data. Why? What is the league worried about? I could go on forever. I just hope we are all not living and dying with our team and it’s one ginormous lie.

#14 mikol13, Apr 29, 2019
  15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no doubt about it. When the national announcers are repeatedly calling out the refs, Steve Javie was calling out the refs, and certainly, every Rocket fan was calling out the refs.

Let's hope the problem is fixed. When it's happening and during the game when I am in the heat of the moment I scream about it. After its over I try not to focus on that.

I will say two things on the matter.

1. The bad officiating was enough to make a difference in who won or lost that close game. I believe Morey has already shown the league his stats on how many points that cost us last year, and there is plenty of evidence for them to use in their complaints about it this year.

2. Despite that, I don't want to focus on it now that the game is over. Even with the unfair officiating, we could still have won the game. A little better shooting, Clint Capella playing his normal or above game, and that would have won us the game despite the officiating. I want the players and coaches to not focus on the officiating because that is something they can't control. Officials will call the game and make mistakes or be completely lopsided in their officiating. Either way, the players can't really change that. The GM and Rockets management should work hard to try and make the changes, but players and coaches should focus on the things they can control and make better.

16. ossnap

ossnap Member

you rang?

BaselineFade, ramotadab and Deckard like this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Not 9 FTs, 7 FTS is missing. I believed he made a shot with klay pulling that sht, I could b wrong.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I posted this in the thread I mentioned in my post a few posts up. The league is owned by the owners. Literally. They can fire Silver. They can insure that the refs who are responsible for this gross disparity of calls get their walking papers and are shown the door. There are 29 other teams in this league aside from Oakland. 29 teams, including the Rockets. If I were an owner who had paid untold $100’s of millions of dollars to purchase a team and was a huge fan of the NBA, and I think the vast majority of the league’s owners would fit that description, this information coming out would make me livid.

Remember that it is the league’s own data confirming this. That means the league would have to be criminally blind not to do something about it. They have taken no action at all. They haven’t fired the officials responsible and if they called them in and threatened to fire them, why haven’t those officials changed how they call the games? This is utterly damning to Silver’s administration of the NBA. He has failed not only the fans, but also the owners of the teams that make up this league we all invest so much time and money in because we care. We care about our team, we care about the players on our team, and we care about the other teams in the league.

The league has failed all of us and something has to be done about it. Something drastic, in my opinion. Silver should be fired and several of the most egregious officials responsible should be let go. In my opinion.

mastan, clutchdabear and ramotadab like this.
  19. Fantasma Negro

I agree with Max, make your shots

20. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

The NBA is a joke.