1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel movies] Infinity War! (Part 1 and 2)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Avengers: Endgame' Set for Global Domination, Can It Deliver a $300M Domestic Debut?
    by Brad Brevet

April 24, 2019

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: With an estimated $156.7 million, Disney and Marvel's Avengers: Endgame is off to an unheard of, record breaking start, en route to what could be a $345+ million three-day opening. On Thursday night the film delivered the largest Thursday night preview gross with $60 million and now the film's first full day is already the largest single day, opening day and Friday on top of being the fastest ever to $100 million, fastest to $150 million and widest opening of all-time. Heading into the weekend a $300 million start almost seemed aggressive, but it has since become an afterthought.

In fact, Endgame's opening day gross (including previews) is enough to be considered the second largest overall weekend of 2019 so far all on its own. Suffice to say, we are looking at the largest weekend at the domestic box office ever with Endgame likely achieving that mark on its own.

Internationally, Avengers: Endgame has already grossed an estimated $487 million as of the end of Friday for a global haul that currently stands at $644 million. As a result, the film has already broken the record for the highest opening weekend internationally of all-time, topping the $443 million delivered by The Fate of the Furious back in 2017.

The global tally is also already a record, topping the $640.5 million by Avengers: Infinity War just last year, though it is important to remember that film didn't open in China day-and-date with the rest of the world and Endgame has already grossed over $217 million in China. All told, the film's current performance puts it in a position where it just might top $1 billion worldwide in its first five days of release.

Current market leaders are as follows:

• China - $217.4 million
    • UK - $27.0 million
    • Korea - $23.0 million
    • Australia - $19.7 million
    • Germany - $15.2 million
    • France - $13.5 million
    • Italy - $13.4 million
    • Brazil - $12.5 million
    • Mexico - $12.5 million
    • Philippines - $10.0 million
    • India - $9.0 million
    • Indonesia - $7.7 million
    • Hong Kong - $7.1 million

You can check out all of the Friday estimates right hereand we'll be back tomorrow morning with a complete look at the weekend.

FRIDAY UPDATE #2: Disney is reporting matinees for Avengers: Endgame are currently tracking toward a $140+ million opening day, including last night's $60 million from previews. As a result, the studio is "cautiously" projecting a three-day opening in the $300 million range.

For comparison, Avengers: Infinity War brought in $106.3 million in its first day and Star Wars: The Force Awakens delivered $119.1 million.

FRIDAY AM UPDATE: Marvel Studios's Avengers: Endgame posted a record-breaking $60 million from Thursday evening previews, the highest preview gross ever ahead of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, delivered $57 million back in December 2015. The film will now begin playing in a record 4,662 locations starting today as it will surely deliver the largest domestic opening ever, the only question now seems to be just how high will it climb?

Additionally, the film has now earned an estimated $305 million in its first two days of international release. After opening in 25 material markets on Wednesday, the film added another 21 yesterday, which included a $15.3 million launch in the UK, the largest single day in the market ever and +86% higher than Avengers: Infinity War's opening day in the market. The film's $7 million launch in Brazil yesterday was also a single-day market record.

In addition to Endgame's domestic debut today, it will continue to roll-out internationally, debut in Mexico, Spain, India and Japan, which leaves only the Monday, April 29 opening in Russia.

We'll take a closer look at things tomorrow morning once Friday estimates come in. For now you can check out our weekend preview below.

THURSDAY UPDATE #2: Online ticket retailer Fandango.com now reports over 8,000 showtimes of Endgame have already sold out on Fandango as it has now officially become the company's largest pre-seller, topping Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The company also reports the nation's theater chains are constantly posting new opening weekend showtimes and adding new screens for Endgame on Fandango.

THURSDAY AM UPDATE: The launch of Disney and Marvel's Avengers: Endgame opened yesterday in 25 material markets and posted an estimated $169 million, including preview showings. The film's launch in China was an industry single day record, delivering $107.5 million, including midnight showings, but the records didn't end there.

Debuts in Australia ($7m), Philippines ($3.9m), Hong Kong ($2.7m), Taiwan ($2.6m), Thailand ($2.4m) and Malaysia ($2m) were all single day records. Indonesia ($2.5m) delivered the largest all-time industry opening day while Germany ($5.6m) delivered the third highest opening day in the market and Italy ($5.8m) the second highest opening day.

In France, the film opened with an estimated $6 million, a record opening day for a film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the second largest opening took place in South Korea with an estimated $8.4 million, a record number of admissions for an opening day in the market.

The film is currently pacing ahead of Avengers: Infinity War in all markets and will open in the UK and Brazil today with early indications pointing to a record setting midnight performance in the UK.

Endgame will open domestically tomorrow in a massive, 4,662 locations, which includes over 3,900 3D locations, 410 IMAX screens, 785 Premium Large Format screens and 250 D-Box/4D locations, with previews beginning tonight at 6 PM.

We'll take a closer look at things tomorrow morning once Thursday preview grosses come in. For now you can check out our weekend preview below.

WEEKEND PREVIEW: In 2008 we saw the birth of what has come to be known as the Marvel Cinematic Universewith the release of Iron Man. Eleven years, 21 films and $18.6 billion in worldwide ticket sales later, that universe has come to redefine the idea of the modern blockbuster. This weekend Avengers: Endgame will give audiences the ending they were promised all those years ago, concluding the events that began with last year's record-breaking release of Avengers: Infinity War, en route to a sure-fire record breaking performance of its own.

Before a single frame outside of the trailers had been seen, Disney and Marvel Studios's Avengers: Endgame began breaking records. In its first seven days of pre-sales, the film sold "five times" as many tickets as Avengers: Infinity War according to online ticket retailer Fandango.com and since then it remains the company's top pre-seller of all-time. Further more, the film will open in a record number of theaters, debuting in over 4,600 locations this weekend with thousands of showings already sold out, and several locations set to remain open 24 hours a day throughout the weekend. To that end, on Tuesday, one theater began playing each film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe back-to-back-to-back leading up to the debut of the new film, complete with shower and food breaks.

D-rock and seclusion like this.
  2. Xerobull

Going tomorrow at 9am, solo. Almost sold out. Every regular showing was sold out in the morning in the Clear Lake area

tinman likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This is torture having to wait until Monday night......

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Avoid reading any LeSean McCoy tweets

Xerobull likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Fans Are Going in on LeSean McCoy for Spoiling 'Avengers: Endgame'

APR 26, 2019
    [​IMG]
    Image via Getty/Brett Carlsen
    Fans are coming for LeSean McCoy, after he spoiled Avengers: Endgame by tweeting what happens at the end of the film.

Spoilers are a very real threat, particularly on social media, where memes and reactions to the extremely anticipated Avengers finale are plentiful. For months, fans have been speculating on what will happen during the three-hour film, which is said to help close a particular chapter in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Endgame only landed in U.S. theaters on Friday, but has already broken a number of records, including the most pre-sale tickets, the largest Thursday preview box office, and has the most viewed movie trailer on YouTube in 24 hours for both official trailers.

One fan even started a petition asking for McCoy's contract with the Bills to be terminated in light of the spoilers. "It is with the utmost disappointment that I must request the contract termination of Lesean McCoy of the Buffalo Bills," Reggie Brown wrote on the Change.org petition page. "He recently took to Twitter and spoiled a epic movie over a decade in the making for so many Marvel fans all over the world. He is completely unapologetic and unremorseful therefore we request you terminate his contract effective immediately."

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

Wow. That’s all I have to say

tinman likes this.
  7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Infinity War and Endgame together are truly a cinematic masterpiece the likes of which we have never experienced before and likely never will again. To weave 10 years of stories together to culminate with these two movies, it's nothing short of incredible. The after-snap heartbreak and the emotional payoffs in the end worked so well because of the prior movies that laid the groundwork for it to happen. And that final act was some of the best and most iconic moments in film. I was fighting back tears every few minutes.

But it wasn't just the spectacle of the final battle, it was the smaller, personal, character-driven moments that worked really well too.
    Stark being stranded in space with Nebula was among my favorite moments of the movie because it shows you how far the characters have come in their respective stories. Him playing paper football with her, and Nebula letting him have the last of the food. Touching moments

My only complaints
    I felt the middle waned just a little during the time heist sequences, probably because we've been to those moments before, even though they were presented in a different way. The action before the final battle wasn't particularly memorable; even the Cap vs Cap fight. And then fat Thor. That turn for his character made sense, and it was fun to see, but I almost felt it was too much, in that I was sort of hoping he would eventually turn back to what he was at the end of Thor Ragnarok and Infinity War. And while the other original Anvegers' arcs seem pretty complete, his not so much. And then I felt Gamora's absence wasn't very well explained, as if there was a scene cut out that explained her leaving earth. Obviously we can deduce that not being the same Gamora in their timeline, she doesn't feel like she belongs, but I wish it was actually presented to us rather than a brief moment where Quill was searching for her signal.[/spoller]

BigM and MadMax like this.
  8. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

No way...the kids around were young. Ned definately was shocked/happy to see him again, and unless we are pitching every single major player in the spideyverse was snapped out it is a giant plot hole. [/spoilers]

justtxyank likes this.
  9. Outlier

Outlier Member

They made Hulk such a weakling in these movies

B-Bob likes this.
  10. Xerobull

It's not a plot hole. It's just statistics. Flip a coin. Flip it again. We only saw two coin flips in your example but you're assuming several more. I can't believe people are having a problem wrapping their heads around this.

Here's the Far From Home trailer. There are four kids from the previous movie in it. (no Gwen, who moved away anyway). Adults don't count because in movies, they may not age visibly five years (see Endgame), but don't be surprised if some of THEM got dusted. You're telling me that 4/5 is infinitesimal? You ever win a scratch-off ticket? Those are way, way, WAY longer odds than this. It's no plot hole, homie.

And people....
    a 15 year old kid is going to go back to HS. What did he do, learn geography while he was dusted? It was just a few minutes to them. The people who survived are five years older, not the dusted.

#1050 Xerobull, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    justtxyank likes this.
  11. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is actually not a bad idea.

Anyone willing to do this? Or, anyone against me doing one? Avengers is that type of movie in that I.D.I.O.T except 2 whole threads, instead of 1 lol

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Go for it breh. I don't -own- the Marvel movie threads. I just usually hear about them first.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This is probably the best thing I've ever seen. The collective dab at the end to defeat Thanos was amazing.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Did you really have to Outlier that

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I did. I was a bit too close though haha.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

District theaters. I saw it Friday morning and the theater was only half full lol

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just saw it for my second time, first solo, this time had my boys with me.

I actually enjoyed it even more the 2nd time.

We will see it again for sure.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Zergling

Zergling Member

Avengers Endgame is probably in my top 10 for MCU movies but is also one of the worst sci-fi movies I've seen that involve...
    time travel. They got pretty lazy with their time travel mechanics here and we should expect more considering what a major role it and the quantum realm played in the story.

arkoe likes this.
  19. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

You forget that even if Ned was dusted, the last thing he saw was his best friend going off to fight aliens in Manhattan and then disappearing. Remember, those news reports of Tony Stark missing after the attack that were all over TV, even in Europe where Wanda and Vision saw them. Imagine what Ned must have been thinking: "Man if even Iron Man couldn't make it out of that...?"

20. Xerobull

Note: Check the spoilers thread here.

'Avengers: Endgame' Decimates Record Books with $1.2 Billion Global Debut

by Brad Brevet

April 28, 2019

Heading into the weekend it was a foregone conclusion that Avengers: Endgame would deliver the largest opening weekend of all-time, both domestically and globally, but to deliver a three-day domestic gross totaling an estimated $350 million and a global weekend over $1 billion was almost inconceivable. Today that figure has become a reality as Endgame not only delivered an estimated $350 million over the course of its first three days in domestic release, but a massive $1.2 billion at the global box office in just its first five days in release.

Endgame's estimated $350 million debut will almost surely improve once actuals are revealed on Monday afternoon, but for now the film's opening is nearly $93 million larger than the previous record set by Avengers: Infinity War ($257.69 million) just last year and a whopping 90% of the overall weekend market share. After critics were overwhelmingly in support of the film heading into the weekend, the film's opening weekend crowd gave it an "A+" CinemaScore, the third such grade in the Marvel Cinematic Universe alongside The Avengers and Black Panther. The audience was 57% male and 61% was 25 years of age or older.

Looking ahead, forecasting just where exactly Endgame will end up is near impossible, but if we were to compare to Infinity War's domestic debut, that film went on to gross nearly $680 million at the domestic box office. Should Endgame deliver a similar multiplier we're talking about a domestic performance topping $920 million, which would put it just shy of the current record domestic gross of $936.6 million set by Star Wars: The Force Awakens back in 2015. Whether Endgame is able to reach that mark will be a story for another day, but it seems safe to assume it will, at the very least, become the second largest domestic release of all-time considering the lowest multiplier for a film in the MCU is Captain America: Civil War's 2.27x, which would give Endgame a nearly $800 million domestic run.

Getting back to the film's weekend performance, a look at the the records Avengers: Endgame broke this weekend at the domestic box office include:

As already mentioned, it wasn't only domestic records that fell this weekend. Endgame's $859 million international opening is over $400 million more than the previous record set by The Fate of the Furious and the $1.2 billion in global ticket sales is nearly double the previous record of $640.5 million set by Avengers: Infinity War just last year. The film is the fastest film to ever top $1 billion globally, doing so after just five days, and it already ranks as the 18th largest worldwide release ever and the sixth largest worldwide release in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Speaking of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the franchise's 22 films have now grossed over $19.8 billion worldwide, of which nine have topped $1 billion at the global box office.

Within that record setting global debut, Endgame delivered the #1 opening day ($107.8m) in China as well as the largest five-day opening weekend in the market ($330.5m) and already ranks as the #4 non-local film ever in the market. In addition to that, the film delivered the largest industry openings in 44 markets, including Australia ($30.8m), Korea ($47.4m), Brazil ($26m), Mexico ($33.1m), France ($24.2m, non-local), Italy ($19m, non-local), Spain ($13.3m) and the UK ($53.8m).

Here's a look at the film's top 16 markets internationally:

• China ($330.5m)
    • UK ($53.8m)
    • Korea ($47.4m)
    • Mexico ($33.1m)
    • Australia ($30.8m)
    • Germany ($26.9m)
    • India ($26.7m)
    • Brazil ($26.0m)
    • France ($24.2m)
    • Italy ($19.0m)
    • Philippines ($17.9m)