1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 Way Tie Involving Denver, Portland, and Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsfan611, Apr 4, 2019.

1. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

Was just mulling over the possibilities and realized that there's actually a decent chance of a 3 way tie involving the Rockets, Nuggets, and Blazers. Realistically it's contingent on Portland beating Denver twice, but if that happens it would give the Blazers the best head to head record amongst the three teams (4-2) and, if they all end up with the same record, Portland would actually get the 2 seed, Houston would be 3rd and Denver 4th. Am I missing something or is this a realistic possibility? EDIT: This is not a possibility due to criteria involving division winners. Feel free to delete the thread.

#1 rocketsfan611, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You are right; this is a very real possibility, but have the seeding wrong.
    1. Houston wins that three way tie, and is 2nd seed.
    2. Denver would be 3rd.
    3. And Por would be 4th.

You are missing the fact first tiebreaker is Division winners, and Den holds tiebreaker for winning the division over Portland...vastly superior Div record. So, Por is knocked out of three way tie because they are not a Divison winner, and Hou has tiebreaker on Den for h2h.

In fact, Houston wins ALL three way ties.

#2 heypartner, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    D-rock, luckyman76, saleem and 6 others like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

only if the other 2 participants are females (which both denver and portland certainly are)

RedHotRockets01 likes this.
  4. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

I think you may be mistaken. According to NBA tiebreaker rules, the first tie breaker if there are more than two teams tied is the overall record against the other teams which are tied. Houston was 1-2 vs Portland and 3-1 vs Denver, putting us at 4-3. Portland (if they beat Denver twice) would be 4-2 and get the 2 seed.

EDIT: Disregard. I misread what you were saying. I understand.

saleem and tehG l i d e like this.
  5. heypartner

I am not mistaken.

I’ve been anticipating this very tiebreaker, for awhile.

You are probably quoting outdated tiebreaker rules. They made Divison winners 1st tiebreaker of multiteam recently when they eliminated division winners being awarded reserved seeding

saleem, whiskeyred and hakeem94 like this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/matchups

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Cheatin Beard strikes again.

8. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

I edited my post almost immediately (before you replied) and acknowledged my mistake. =)

saleem likes this.
  9. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Is what You are saying is that the Rockets would get the tiebreaker because they won their division and Portland and Denver neither wpn ththeir division because they tied ?

10. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

@megastahr, @heypartner explains it here

11. YaoMingsSoulja

No, Denver and Portland are in the same division. Therefore, if they have the same record in the regular season, Denver would win the division because the tiebreaker goes to whoever has the best record against the teams in their division. Currently, Denver is 10-2 and Portland is 5-9. The tiebreaker between Houston and Denver would go to Houston because they beat Denver 3-1 in the season series.

You following me? xD

Can I go back to eating my chips?

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. heypartner

nom nom nom

[​IMG]

hakeem94 and YaoMingsSoulja like this.