1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Mid range (It's time)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Mar 27, 2019.

1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I fully appreciate analytics and how they've impacted and changed the game.

But I also know the benefits of a 12-15 ft jump shot when the 3's simply aren't falling.

We just don't have the shooters necessary to only shoot 3's.

Yeah we have a couple of guys that can get hot from time to time but we're not rolling out 5-6 dudes who shoot 40% from 3 nightly.

I sincerely hope we learned from 0-27 last season and don't make the same mistake entering this yr's playoffs.

LUK3, hakeem94, Lawlruschang and 5 others like this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Don't be influenced by that Players Only commentary where they said that a way of beating the Bucks defense was to shoot midrange. That's not going to work, because if Tucker decides to walk a couple of feet inwards, that gives Harden less space to operate, as Tucker's defender is now closer to the basket, giving him time to react to a Harden drive.

People don't seem to understand that space is so necessary for a Harden / CP3 drive. Players missed wide-open 3s last night, yes, but these are much better shots than contested mid-range jumpers, even though they're closer to the basket.

It's just unfortunate that the 3s didn't fall, last night.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, no one on the team can even shoot from midrange other than Harden and CP3

CP3 took a couple from midrange, and Harden opted for the floater instead of taking midrange jumpers with dudes all over his left hand

BasketMAD, HP3, Richie_Rich and 3 others like this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Whats the point we brick then refardless

Mr. Space City likes this.
  5. Garner

Garner Member

the most unfortunate part of last night's game is that Milwaukee just handed the defensive playbook to all of our playoff competitors.

hakeem94 and chadyang like this.
  6. smp

smp Member

The spacing was there for midrange and 3s. They did what GS did to us. Pack the paint to take away the Capela lobs and Harden layups. Leave the role players wide open and dare them to make a shot.

When the role players can’t make a 3, you have to decide what you want to do. Concede the loss via role player brick after brick? Or take your chances shooting the mid range, which will also likely result in a loss. When our role players are that cold, I’d rather have Harden shoot the mid range. I’d rather take my chances on him getting hot and finding his way into God Mode. I have little faith in guys like Tucker, EG, and Rivers when they are cold. I only want Harden, CP3, or House shooting the ball on nights like that.

Neither option is great, that’s for sure.

7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I saw a lot of open looks from 3 and at least 10 points given away by lazy passes before even making it to mid court. A lot of panic going on around here. They just need to tighten up on turnovers, and actually let Giannis have a monster game while focusing heavily on Bledsoe and Middleton.

It was those two that shot them back in the game and ignited their offense. My biggest concern last night was CP3. He had his crossover on Wilson but was constantly getting blown by Bledsoe on offense.

8. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Well, it will give us a lot of practice to beat it while we see it thru the playoffs if we see the Bucks in the finals. :)

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You forgot the part where they dared Harden to have a wide open lane where he had plenty of room for a mid range shots.

chadyang likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

MDA will have a counter for it. The playoffs are a game of adjustments

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Better the Rockets adjust sooner than later

12. smp

smp Member

That’s what I meant by the spacing was there for midrange. Two shots were wide open- Harden midrange and role player 3. That’s obviously by design because those are the worst options for us. In that situation you have to pick your poison. When the roles players are cold for 3 quarters, opt for the Harden midrange instead. I have said this since the GS 0-27 from 3 performance of last year. Relying on role players to heat up in the 4th quarter is the worst option in my opinion.

13. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Everyone is making valid points here. But, I just don’t think they wanted that game that bad. Late season game in cold ass Milwaukee. They just didn’t bring any urgency. On to the next.

14. smp

smp Member

I hope so. He didn’t adjust in the game.

Crashlanded19 and chadyang like this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Harden is a all time offensive player who has an excellent jump shot. A wide open mid range shot for that caliber of player should not be a "bad shot" especially if that is the shot the defense gives us .

16. smp

smp Member

That was Harden playing for MVP. It wasn’t just a regular season game. It was battle of the MVPs and Harden’s team let him down. No way he wins it now. At the very least he should have come away with a triple double. Freaking scrub ass role players couldn’t hit a wide open shot to help the guy carrying them make an MVP statement. Very frustrating.

pippsux likes this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Coaches can't adjust their players missing open 3's like Tucker and Gordon did. That's how 7 game series look. You lose a game and you adjust.

HP3 likes this.
  18. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I was just about to post that. What makes anyone think EG, PJ, Green etc, are knockdown mid range shooters?? At any rate at this point in the year you don't just change your philosophy. They just need to hit their shots and play solid D. MIL got hot last night and we went cold, it happens people

19. smp

smp Member

I’m not the one saying it’s a bad shot. It’s all the 3>2 guys saying that. I’m saying it’s not the best shot though.

Harden/hot role player open 3, layup, Harden floater, Harden/ CP3 midrange, cold role player open 3, cold role player midrange, is the shot selection order I feel is best.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. smp

smp Member

3 quarters was enough to see the worst option was to keep feeding EG and Tucker. I’d rather harden shoot the midrange than that. I’m definitely not suggesting those 2 take midrange when they are that cold.

The thing is, it’s not a new problem. We should already have a plan X right now. When our role players can’t hit a 3, then do X. Have that in place and make that adjustment during the game. Call a timeout and say, you role players don’t have it tonight so we are going to plan X. The players should already know what plan X is. Don’t just keep plugging along praying that EG and Tucker will suddenly find their shot in the 4th quarter.

Look- we are going to lose most nights when Tucker and EG play that bad. I get it. But 4th quarter was time for adjustments. Kind of like Dantoni did vs the Clippers in the playoffs a few years ago and we pulled out the series win. He went to a completely different plan toward the end of the game and pulled out a come from behind series win.