1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Full Video] Where Amazing Happened: The Story of the 2007-08 Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It's now live and available...

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bravo!

(and thanks!)

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks Clutch and Rick Adelman!

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thanks Clutch and TMac!

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

If you haven't watched this yet. You absolutely must.

It's basically Moneyball staring the Rockets instead of the Oakland A's, but concentrating on the games and players/coaches instead of the GM.

Lawlruschang and Game7 like this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

I was awake and didn’t want to risk not getting to see it, 2.30 am here and that was terrific! So happy it happened then with no annoying voices except for SAS who you didn’t really hear.

To actually go through the 2007 playoffs, the draft, the season leading up to it, some pivotal games highlighted, the injury, Mutombo and the imitations (really wanted that to be in) backstory on Rafer, Scola, Bobby a bit and even Harris (didn’t expect that!), the commentary by Worrel for that 22nd game, even to show the skip to my lou bit and to show the 2009 playoffs w/ injuries, but also mentioning how we lost to the 08 champions, then to end it the HoF images was just great. Great music and added stars and twinkles. Great narrative overall! Loved that even JVG sat down for this.

The funniest bit was for me the draft where Leslie asks Morey: Brooks will make a difference for our team right? Priceless.

One small point of critique: not to mention the return of Francis, only show him briefly and not get into that a bit.

Deckard likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What a great team. What a great coach. The ball movement was tremendous. I wish today's team would move the ball more than they do. Maybe they'll get there. I became a huge Scola fan that season, and a fan of Brooks. Two rookies who had a real impact, one an international star adjusting to the NBA, the other a true rookie. Shane, Carl, Chuck, Dikembe, Rafer, and the rest came together. Unbelievable, but true.

Yao? What can you say? Amazing! Tracy MacGrady? What can you say? Amazing! A perfect group of role players playing with 2 superstars that rarely seemed to be healthy at the same time, but were early in The Streak, and what a streak! Anyone who wants to know what a packed Toy Box is like with everyone there screaming their lungs out? Watch this. Just watch it, because that's where we need to be. Win, stay healthy, and those stupid empty lower bowl seats will fill up.

Let's do it.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

They showed footage of every game, most got the right play too like a pivotal dunk or block. Seeing this team makes me actually nostalgic and really miss that style. I enjoyed those Adelman years much more than the current, even with Hardens greatness and playoff success.

There’s something about playing like that that makes sense and is the way basketball is supposed to be played. MDA might be an offensive genius, he’s got nothing on Adelman. And watching makes me understand why I and plenty others do not like to watch our current style. It’s effective, but I wish they could play like that 07-08 team.

I’m not sure this year’s team could beat them, the way they played defense was something else. Yao would destroy Capela. Anyway, truly amazing feature and glad I witnessed it. My first full season of Rockets fandom, special for that reason too.

Thanks Rockets organisation for making this and thanks Clutch!

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This is so damn good. I miss all of those guys. What a team. This is a high quality production, too.

Lawlruschang, Deckard and mikol13 like this.
  10. Game7

Game7 Member

That was a really great watch. Loved seeing the behind the scenes Scola and draft stuff. A look inside the war room. Seeing the crowd so alive at those games at TC really made you understand how exciting of a time that was. It was the perfect time for me to move back to Houston and start browsing Clutchfans.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  11. jowman

jowman Member

Amazing year. I remember being in LA surrounded by obnoxious laker fans and praying they beat them for number 22. rafer Alston the player I least expected showed up and carried them to the win. Crazy.. Mcgrady was starting to decline but, when healthy I felt like that was our best team during that era and had a shot if not for injuries. I remember being super excited in the offseason when they got their own version of the big 3, when they stole Artest from the kings, sadly never got to see it play out.

Looking back it’s crazy how they got 22 straight back the west was crazy loaded with good teams and stars. Miss watching those guys play.

#11 jowman, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Lawlruschang and Jake Tower like this.
  12. SORF

SORF Member

Wow, thank you for going down memory lane. We were season ticket holders that season, in section 117. I remember the playoff loss from the previous year...as we walked the concourse after the Jazz defeated us, the crowd was quiet...you could hear a pin drop. Everyone was stunned and sadden. If it wasn't for renewing our tickets for the next year before the playoffs, we would have missed the magic of the 2007-2008 year. That game against the Lakers to win the 21st win was deafening as well as exciting. The best game I every went to, and that includes the 4 WNBA Comet Championships.

I also remember the disappointment of Yao being out for the season. Yao was my favorite player...and as I write this message, his picture with us standing next to him (on a bar stool) is behind me on the wall. We got a photo with him at that season's Christmas party. I remember shaking his hand and as I looked at my hand in his, it resembled a child's hand in their parent's hand. But the most remarkable thing arrived in the summer of 2008. Les Alexander commissioned a commemorative 22 game streak Rocket Blanket and sent one to each season ticket holder. Each game is listed with the score and the opponent we bested. Even though we didn't make it out of the first round of that year's playoff, it was a special season for the fans too. You couldn't wait to go to the games. And yes, the corporate seats were full. I enjoyed reliving it through the video.

It was also our last year as season ticket holders. My handicap illness was making it harder to go to the games. But we still watch every game on TV...and last Feb 28th of this year, we rented a hotel room around Toyota Center and attended our first Rocket game since that season. It too was exciting and it was great to feel that game excitement once again. It was also D. Wade's last game in the TC. We are talking about doing it again once every year. We senior Medicare fans can do at least one game a year.:D

For you young Rocket fans, I stress that you go to as many games as you can afford. So when you reach my age, you can look fondly back to some wonderful memories...like James Harden's historic run. Our game this year he came so close to another 61 point game...his final score was 58 points.

13. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

I would've endured a thousand playoff losses to the Warriors rather than go through that 2007 playoff loss to the Jazz again.

SORF and delta69er like this.
  14. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

I still remember that Novak 3 to extend our streak. Incredible.

wesbound likes this.
  15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Really makes you wonder why we havent retired T-Macs number yet... I hate seeing Shumpert out there with the #1

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Also i think scola was the only guy to play all 82 games that year for us... Such a beast!

17. delta69er

delta69er Member

Awesome documentary! I was in high school when this happened and I still vividly remember watching a lot of those games in the win streak.

Great memories but holy crap I can’t believe it was over a decade ago!

18. delta69er

delta69er Member

Them showing that damn Okur 3 pointer brought back all kinds of Vietnam flashbacks...:mad::mad:

Lawlruschang likes this.
  19. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Really an awesome documentary. They even showed that 76ers game, the origin of CF patented saying, "the 76ers game".

20. TheresTheDagger

I've been a Rockets fan going on 30 years now, and aside from the titles, this was my favorite time as a fan.

So bittersweet. The video shows the togetherness the guys had and as they said in the documentary....you knew they got EVERY ounce of talent out of everyone that year. And it was needed to achieve such a special streak. But, also the memories of the devastating injuries and all the what ifs... It almost is Shakesperian how Yao's career went.

I want a sit down with the Basketball Gods one day when I get to that great court in the sky. They have some explaining to do...

Lawlruschang likes this.