1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russell Westbrook tells fan: "I'll f*ck you up, you and your wife"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Mar 11, 2019.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I actively root against Westbrook, but I'm with Russ on this one. I initially thought Russ misheard the fan about the knees thing but the twitter history is damning evidence of an expert troll.

2. jcf

jcf Member

of course he does.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

lets see what that couple and russ actually exchanged before russ blew up

she could have said something else just as bad or her husband may have dragged russ's family into the convo

jcf likes this.
  4. jowman

jowman Member

If she didn’t say that then obviously Westbrook overreacted and is in the wrong.

Threatening to hit a woman who’s said some vile **** is not the same as actually hitting her. If she’s capable of saying nasty racist **** then she should be capable of getting it dished back verbally. This is real life not the movies where the guy always plays the gentleman and takes the higher road no matter what happens.

Bearded13, Reeko, DreamShook and 2 others like this.
  5. jcf

jcf Member

I don't think anyone can credibly argue that violence against a woman is warranted. But, if she was spouting racial slurs (and I have no idea if she was or wasn't), I'm not as bothered by Russ saying he would mess them both up. If he had acted on it, yes, horrific. But, if a woman is allowed to say horrible things to a man, I'm not sure I'm that offended by Russ saying things back even if it isn't politically correct. I get that my opinion is not the most logical of takes, but that is actually my gut reaction.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I have issues with Brodie, but this isn't one of them.

If the league allows this kind of "fun talk" by not kicking out its worst offenders, then that should be an official policy and a harsh punishment. Otherwise, his stand should serve as to what 's acceptable and what isn't.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

True, but it would still make me very uncomfortable with what Russ said. I do want to know what was said. There was no doubt fans were going to heckle him after last year's playoff, but if they crossed a line, punish them severely.

Someone is going to tell the truth. Utah, Boston and other places... they may have more than their fair share of racist fans, but the majority are not that way. Someone will say what happened.

I may be naive, but I know if someone used a racial slur or reference at anyone in my presence or the presence of my family, I'm going to want to point them out to security immediately. But picking out in a crowd who said something like that may not be as easy as I think.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Just for clarity sake here, what is your objection here? Is it that she's a woman? Or is it that WB said he would never touch a woman and such a statement is hypocritical now? Or is it that she might be innocent in all this?

I think the first one is wrong. The gender shouldn't matter one bit. If it's a woman, or man, or whatever, if she echoed her partner's views she's just as much on the hook as he is. I mean, what if the fan was gay and his partner was egging WB on instead? It shouldn't matter what gender is present.

The second one makes sense, because WB is an overdramatic macho guy and to be caught in a lie like that is damning. So I get your outrage in that and concede that might be a reason he crossed the line as well.

The last one I'm sort of reluctant to believe is possible. You don't live with a guy, share a bed with a guy, and a life with him where his public persona (on social media at least) is so hateful and racist and not have some of those tendencies yourself. Not saying it's impossible, just hard for me to believe. I think the more reasonable conclusion is that she's also as bad as he is, but definitely, if she said nothing to WB it's messed up.

9. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

I would love to believe this was true, but you have more faith in humanity than I.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  10. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

I think it's sad this happened. If true, these are some terrible attendees and they should be booted. Russ needs to a bit more of a pro though. Athletes in every sport deal with this and I don't think this is the way you address it. It's the opposite of class and only drives the problem, but I understand the anger coming from him.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Nah let's just go with the golden plates buried in the ground. Nothing to talk about really.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Not to spam you, but I've had experience with this too. I was at Moda center two years ago, and I bought some tickets in a cluster of season ticket holders. The first thing they say to me is that I can't wear Rockets gear in their home, it's disrespectful to the Blazers. I laughed it off and tried not to engage them. Admittedly I booed Lillard when he was at the line and that set them off. I was called a f*g, told I would get the piss kicked out of me if I did it again, and when I turned to them and said "hey, I'm just here for basketball" they continued to curse me out. No one alerted authorities because I didn't let it escalate, and of the 7+ times I've been to Moda this is the only one where I've had a negative exchange with Blazer fans, but still. There are people who drink too much, (or in the case of Oregon smoke too much) and act like children. Most people sit back watch as crap unfolds. It's sad. I'm still mad at myself for not going to security and getting them ejected.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

well it's not really driving the problem. Bc of this they're probably going to be looking to actually address it, so this doesn't continue to happen.

There's no room for disrespectful/racist attendees and should not be considered to be tolerated. Doing nothing only lets people know they can continue until they're caught. Then when guys clap back, it becomes this ridiculous victim persona

jowman likes this.
  14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

All three, to varying degrees. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of violence against women. I definitely feel Westbrook contradicted himself. And I have no idea of any guilt or innocence of the man or woman... I just don't believe Westbrook when he said she repeated it and that justified his comment.

I also think if he said "get down on your knees like you're used to" it is deplorable and he should be kicked out and banned. But I think it's a homophobic slur, not racist.

One thing I will say for Westbrook... I don't believe Patrick Patterson is going to lie for him. He may have misheard, but I believe PPatt.

We need more evidence of what happened.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Fake twitter accounts exposed.

People need to calm the **** down before they make fools of themselves like the Indian drummer situation

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Well, they must have evidence he did something wrong.

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

He obviously lied. Shocker.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

but but but @REEKO_HTOWN doesn't believe it

lets wait for the lawsuit though.......

being banned by just the utah jazz doesn't mean anything

Reeko likes this.
  19. Pizza_Da_Hut

I have a hard time believing PatPat would lie as well. If we are going to decide between homophobic or racist, the battle for the fan is sort of already lost. I think either way it's wrong, one isn't more wrong than the other.

WB talking about violence, ok, I concede, that is a bit much. For the sake of the NBA they need to act swiftly and harshly. If the fan crossed a line here the NBA needs to up its game and make sure this kind of thing isn't tolerated.

amaru likes this.
  20. jowman

jowman Member

Agreed. A different way to look at it is that it would be more convenient to ignore it and not have to deal with all the drama, and “appear” to be a classy guy who took the high ground.

But these things should not happen in the first place and by bringing it to light, while it may get ugly at first may ultimately force fans to behave and security to be more proactive in stopping these before it gets out of hand.

Don’t believe Russ intended for this to be made public but I appreciate that he stood his ground on what he said and didn’t back down if any pressure was given by the media or nba.

Bearded13 likes this.