1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giannis Antetokounmpo Is Not The Best Player In The World

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ghettocheeze, Feb 26, 2019.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

In light of LeBron's recent decline due to age, injury, mood swings, or whatever, there has been a rush by the sports media to crown Antetokounmpo as the new best player in the world.

I'm sorry, but this is the dumbest hot take I've seen in a long time. Don't get me wrong Giannis is an absolute beast right now and is having what will most likely be an MVP season. However, he is not best player in the world, not even by a mile.

Seriously, did Harden and Durant just die overnight?

I mean we are in the midst of watching the greatest offensive stretch by player in the modern era and you think Giannis is the best? Tell me again who commands quadruple-teams every time he touches the ball?

Again, Giannis is a wonderful player. Surely top-5 player right now, but let's not jump the gun and disrespect guys who have been on top of their game for much longer, been far more productive, and gone deeper in the playoffs.

a 20% shooter in the era of the three ball as the best player in the world is ridiculous.

1. LeBron
    2. Harden
    3. Durant
    4. Antetokounmpo
    5. George

B-Bob, s3ts, BallSoHarden and 5 others like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He can't even ****ing shoot . The media showing their basketball accumen par par. Honestly though, as much as I hate to say it the snake is the best player in the world. It used to be him and Lebron 1A/1B. Harden is a more complete offensive player, but at the height durant is just impossible to guard

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Flavor of the month/season. That's all it is. It's the N(arrative driven) Basketball Association.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

the best player in the league is always going to be divided up into a few selections. everyone has their own narrative on why they feel he is that #1 guy.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

OP has a point though, because its not just him, everybody in the media is going with Giannis. Its absurd

Blurr#7 and ghettocheeze like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I need to see how far Giannis takes his team in the playoffs before I anoint him

Harden could take the mantle if he has an excellent playoffs

RocketsFan247 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the title Freak is enough for him. For now.

8. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

To me, Freak is an acceptable successor. He's basically a longer, taller Russ who knows how to play with what he's given. He's young enough to play through every single regular season game like it's his last. He's showing confidence that I believe will translate well into the playoffs. He doesn't have the basketball smarts like Harden does and is not nearly similar in skill level but he uses his athleticism extremely well.

roslolian and chadyang like this.
  9. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Oh and not sure if it's this video but SAS saying that what Harden has done this year validates his MVP accomplishment of last year is low-key saying that he's not MVP this year.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

It's so buck'd up.

11. BigBum

BigBum Member

How good is Celtics If Giannis is a Celtics but Irving is A buck?

12. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

How can people claim he’s the MVP when he wasn’t even on the floor at the end of OT when Brogden hit the 3??

He didn’t even touch the call when Bledsoe scored the tying bucket in the 4th??

His team scored 141 points but he only had 17 and had 2 assist and it’s not like he dominated defensively with rebounds or whatever either.

Jontro and jowman like this.
  13. jowman

jowman Member

Prime lebron >>> Greek freak. Put bron with the shooters and guys on Milwaukee his first time with the Cavs they’d have a few championships.

Giannis only played 24 mins and wasn’t even on the floor most of overtime. He’s overrated media wants to jump on his nuts cause they hate harden

BallSoHarden and Blurr#7 like this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

what an idiotic post.
    You think Giannis isn't normally playing in OT? He is injured and was on minutes restriction. Bud was forced to sub him in just to inbound the ball and then subbed him out during the OT.
    The Bucks have a 2.5 games lead over the Raptors and own the Tiebreak, there is no need to risk the health of the superstar to get a win against Sacramento. D'Antoni should be the one learning from this.

JayGoogle, Louka and Jontro like this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

If you think about it, imagine if Draymond Green in his best defensive season ever also put up an efficient 27ppg on 17 shots, to go with 12.6 rebounds, 6 assists, 1.5stl, 1.5blk for the #1 seed in the NBA. That's what Giannis is doing right now.

You guys are underrating him. I'd argue that Giannis is having a better regular season than Lebron has ever had. Lebron has had comparable offensive dominance, but has never even sniffed this level of defensive dominance.

Giannis is essentially the Hakeem Olajuwon of this era. A tier more athletic than peers who play his position, dominant on both sides.

The fact that he can't shoot is not going to affect the Bucks the way Simmons does the Sixers. Simmons must bring the ball up and is immediately facing a defense that sags and dares him to shoot. Unless Simmons is willing to have offense set up for him, he can't solve that problem. In that same scenario, Bucks can use Bledsoe/Brogdon to bring the ball up and feed Giannis 15-20 feet from the basket. He can hit a mid range shot. If you guard him too close, he will blow by you with ease. If you sag, he will nail the jumper. If you double, he is averaging 6 assists and surrounded by shooters.

The praise is not overblown. He deserves it just as much as Harden does, no need to be insecure. It's a compliment to both of them.

#15 Mathloom, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Cuongzilla, jboslett, Louka and 5 others like this.
  16. Senator

Senator Member

You know who else couldn't shoot? Shaq.

Harden can shoot but is shooting 44% from the field, his career average.

Giannis is shooting 58% from the field. Let that sink in. He's the clear cut MVP this year but you need to lead your team to an NBA Finals be in the LeBron category. Reg season in a stat pad era isn't that impressive.

malakas likes this.
  17. KingsFanSince85

I get that this is a Houston Rockets board, but SMH with how highly you’ve got a Harden ranked.

First, not a chance in hell he’s better than Kevin Durant. This coming from a KINGS fan that hates the Warriors and hates KD. If you polled all 30 NBA GM’s I’m willing to bet that at least 90% of them, if not all, would take KD over Harden all day and everyday. You’re crazy on that one.

Secondly, you’ve got Harden ranked in your top 5 but no Westbrook?? Westy’s penchant for triple doubles is just as impressive as Harden’s 30+ streak. Listing Harden and not Westbrook is disingenuous IMO.

Thirdly, you lose credibility when you don’t have Stephen Curry listed at all. The player that pretty much led the change in the way the game is played today. The Warriors were winning titles before KD got there and Curry was the driving offensive force behind it all. Sure, they’ve got other great players too, but so did every other championship team in history. Again, a majority of GM’s would take Curry over Harden. You’re kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.

Lastly, despite his lack of a perimeter game, Giannis is most certainly among the best players in the game. Is he the best? It depends upon how you define it. He’s surely a dominant two way player. But is he a go to player in the biggest of games? Maybe not. Steph Curry is. But Curry can’t play both ends like Giannis. Neither can Harden.

Regardless, Giannis is as deserving of mention as pretty much any other player. I contend the title of most ‘impactful’ player still resides on the Warriors. KD or Steph, flip a coin.

Cuongzilla and blahblehblah like this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I think it best you look into how Durant was considered a high efficiency scorer with poor defense whose playoff leadership left a lot to be desired. In fact, Durant had a better cast in OKC than Harden has had in Houston.

Ridiculous to compare these two based on Durant joining a 73-win team. Durant's worst ever sidekick is a prime Westbrook. Harden's best ever sidekick is a part-prime Chris Paul.

Westbrook is not in this tier all together, if OKC finish 3rd it will be the best he's ever done and he's not the MVP of this team. Harden, Giannis, Durant and Curry in another tier altogether. These are monsters that can win 40+ games in the West with G-leaguers. Lebron was in that group, but he's not in his prime anymore.

19. hakeemthagreat

Kevin Durant has BEEN the best player in the league the past 2-3 seasons. Yes he's playing with GS, but ppl fail to mention he was still impossible to guard in OKC. This whole Lebron is the goat narrative was created by Lebron & his PR team, in which the media runs with. Funny how players start to come to earth playing in the western conference

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this is quite the surprising post after chef harden just recently came into your house only 3 weeks ago and butchered your team cookin up burger kings :D