1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Punk Rock

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dankstronaut, Feb 20, 2019.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Yes and more yes.

Joshfast, twhy77 and seclusion like this.
  2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The 90s had some good punk music. The best I can remember listening to?

Rancid
    Social Distortion
    Sick of it All
    Pennywise
    Beastie Boys (Aglio E Olio and other select songs off their albums)
    Goldfinger
    Face to Face
    MxPx
    30footfall (good H-town punk band)

80s honorable mentions for Bad Brains, Misfits, and the Ramones.

RocketWalta likes this.
  3. kubli9

Supporting Member

Sorry bro but 90% of the stuff you posted is 2000s emo/screamo and not really punk in the true sense either.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

90%? Really? Also, all of that **** is punk influenced, you need to learn your music buddy. You listen to MxPx friend.

#24 seclusion, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  5. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

GOOD call on fIREHOSE! Sat in during an interview with them prior to a show at the Axiom (Screaming Trees opened) in '88/'89. Learned mike Watt LOVES Dolly Parton. Incredible show.

Somebody mentioned Descendents which leads to All

Before Fugazi there was Minor Threat

Unwritten Law

Jughead's Revenge

It's '80's instead of '90's, but been listening to a lot of old Oi/stree punk lately

UK Subs

**** Sparrer
    Sham '69
    Stiff Little Fingers
    Cockney Rejects
    The Exploited

6. kubli9

Supporting Member

All of that music is 2000s emo minus Offspring, you might as well have posted Thrice and My Chemical Romance while you were at it. :p:D

Just because a band wears pyramid studded belts doesn't make them punk. You ain't punk friend.

#26 kubli9, Feb 20, 2019
  7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I love how you just completely ignored the other posts to support your narrative. I'm more punk than you'll ever be.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I love the Jam, I was going to add that one -- glad you beat me to it!

Rashmon likes this.
  11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Thanks everyone, I needed some direction trying to YouTube rabbit hole punk rock wasn’t cutting the cake. Just too much to focus on. Keep it coming!

I genuinely dislike over-analyzing genre but if anyone would be interested in helping me classify my own music I’d appreciate it. I know it isn’t like, straight up punk rock. I’m really not trying to be, just kind of influenced by punk. Punk state of mind. But somewhere along the line, I’ve kinda lost a sense of what I’m playing. It isn’t really punk but it isn’t really not punk or like, maybe hard rock? it’s not alt or ass rock...it’s not metal (maybe a riff or two lol) and the writer of the comic made me promise to steer away from jazzy stuff. It isn’t even like MCR or the used although that’s what I banked on while writing. I sing clean (like not screaming) but my voice is dirty. Not offkey just a rougher tone than you usually hear. I’m not playing crazy metal riffs but it’s definitely a step above punk guitars which to me just usually uninteresting. I’m trying my best to write catchy hooks but it’s not pop. TF am I playing lol

Even my “band” (in the comic series) has the crazy convoluted mix of musicians that come together.

These two demos sum up the forthcoming album well enough. These will be re-recorded for the new album.

Seriously thanks, tomorrow at work is gonna be a jam fest lol

GIGO, Colt45 and Killatron 2000 like this.
  12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Sounds kind of like Pop Punk / Skate Punk to me. It's good stuff. Great job!

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Pop punk huh....I can live with that lol thanks man.

seclusion likes this.
  14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

#34 seclusion, Feb 20, 2019
  15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Some old school:

Joshfast and Rashmon like this.
  16. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

@Derp McFlopsky. I like it, dude. Keep it up! Cool to see all the Clutchpunks with their suggestions. Punk and basketball are my life.

seclusion and Dankstronaut like this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Yeah music and basketball really are two of the good forces left in this bad old world. Few things bring people together! I thank you for the kind words, I’ve always been shy about putting my music out there so this is gonna be interesting. The writer/artist plan on blasting it at comic cons from their booths! We’ll see where it goes but I honestly think it’s some of the best writing I’ve ever done. Can’t make the shots you don’t take eh? Speaking of making shots, it’s been entirely too long since I dunked on someone lol

That’s a joke. I definitely can’t dunk!

seclusion and Killatron 2000 like this.
  18. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

This is about the only post that actually mentions some real punk bands (delete blink and sum 41).

Add to it Minor Threat, Wire’s Pink Flag album is punky, Bad Brains, Misfits, gotta listen to more NOFX, early Bad Religion only, for fun Guttermouth, repeat the Descendants (15 second song called I Like Food), yeah cf you suck at punk rock for the most part.

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  19. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

funny to see all the arguing about which bands are most punk...to quote the late d. boon - "punk rock is whatever we made it to be". also, yall are making me feel old - ive only heard of about half the bands listed!

i got into punk rock thru skateboarding - late 80's/middle school years. my reference points were limited, but to me U2's "war" was as much a punk rock record minor threats "out of step". we would jam out dead kennedys then put on inxs "kick" or the cure. it all seemed "punk" to me at the time.

...which i think was d. boons point!

all that being said, the best punk bands ever are the following...ramones, the clash, sex pistols, minutemen, misfits (danzig-era ONLY), minor threat and texas own BIG BOYS!!!

im not going to dog on current punk, but i think its important to know the history and all the early bands. if you like rock you should know zeppelin and hendrix..if you like "punk" you should know the early key bands.

big boys dont get the credit they should, but they pretty much invented the whole "punk-funk" sound (RHCP) and skate-rock as well. probably the first punk band to use turntables. probably the first punk band to have a very flamboyantly gay lead singer. plus they just wrote great songs.

#40 jo mama, Feb 20, 2019