1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Fertitta disputes idea Rockets used the Trade Deadline to get under the Luxury Tax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Feb 19, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

no just tired of posters misrepresenting things to b**** about Tillman and Morey.

you actually tried to claim the Porzingis and Tobias trade were comparable to Knights expiring contract being valuable.

just own your terrible take.

2. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

The players we lost are a net negative and no long er a distraction on the court, in the locker room, on the bench, in the media, on the books, or taking up a roster spot.

Is that enough value?

Capela/Faried/NeNe/Hartenstein
    Tucker/Clark
    Harden/Green
    Gordon/Shumpert
    Paul/Rivers

A solid starter and back up at every position with House possibly being worked out this year.

Tell me where the players we traded fit in?

3. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Because it was low risk. Some of those risks work out: Fareid, Rivers, Clark, House, Green, etc.

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Lol dude . You keep avoiding my one and only point . I used other cases to try and illustrate expiring how contracts can be useful .

And your response is "acknowledge DSJ is the centerpiece of porzingis trade !1!1!1!1"

Answer the question . When does knight have more value ? This season or next season ?

If deandre Jordan had multiple years left on his contract would the deal have been the same ?

I'm trying to help educate you man . I'm not misrepresenting **** . And neither is @heypartner ... one of the best posters on the site (in terms of providing factual information)

5. biff17

biff17 Member

you need to mention it because of Smith if was not in the deal the Knicks would not have traded him to the Mavericks.

the expiring contracts were secondary to salary match in the Mavericks had to take on 2 bad contracts as well.

So you are saying it would have been better to keep an unplayable knight in the hope that we could get a better player than Shumpert?

how does that help the team this year?

6. biff17

biff17 Member

and once again you ignore that Smith was the centerpiece of that trade.

And no I don't think that Knight is more valuable as an expiring because I am not sure we could have gotten a much better player than Shumpert.

we just had an expiring in Chriss what did that get us?

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You're right. I hope my repeated use of the words "could and might" shows my agreement with you that nothing I said was an attempt to predict the future.

I agree. He's saying all the right things now, like Beverley used to.

I agree. We want to keep Shumpert. And I hope we do for play value and trade value.

Correct. We can only speculate for discussion.

The post you replied to was me talking to @Deuce. We have a rich, bball discussion friendship...that has spread to following each other on twitter. We're good. I'm sure he knows I'm jazzed Shump is here and want to keep him.

But, thanks for reminding me that my posts are public, and maybe I should repeat my position more thoroughly and thoughtfully for other readers like yourself.

peace biscuit

Deuce and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm done lol . Once again you didn't answer the question.

In pretty sure the KNICKS ... whose goal is to bring in max free agents .... wanted an expiring contract pretty badly to clear cap space .

Yeah that had nothing to do with it

/idiot

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

True, but Tilman can't afford a PR advisor.

jowman, izeroi and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Thank you! My point exactly! All BS so that they don’t have to sign anyone

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Feigen the mouthpiece disputes it too.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

then we are back to just cutting them, right? This is becoming circular.

imso??? No!

That is not enough value to package them with all those assets just to get them out of the lockerroom. We handled Melo just fine. imo, you're overvaluing (if not inventing) Knight, Chriss and Ennis as troublemakers, especialy since we can just cut them, anyhow, like Melo.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So TIRED of the blatant LIES. We're not dumb like the Texans fanbase. I'm a 99'er, I demand RESPECK. Do what you gotta do, I might not like it. But LIE about what you're doing, I might not like YOU.

**** this guy. I hate the Cougars too (no offense, lulz).

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This is what I hope happened, Otherwise he's just cheap as hell.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tilfart has been cutting costs since not the trade deadline but the summer.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...all-in-a-response.296490/page-3#post-12235163

Trevor Ariza, bird rights. $15M for ONE year. Nope, too much.
    Luc Mbah a Moute, $4.3M. Nope, too much. (Yeah, you can say it's a good decision now. You didn't know he'd miss the entire season (minus a few games) back in July. And not because of his shoulder but knee.)

So what do they do in free agency & have since? Have only given out minimum contracts.
    You get a minimum contract! And you get a minimum contract! And you get a minimum contract!
    "We hope our scrubs outperform their contracts."

Michael Carter-Williams
    James Ennis
    Carmelo Anthony
    Gerald Green
    Gary Clark
    Austin Rivers
    Ken Faried
    James Nunnally(10-day)
    Danuel House(2-way; can't come to terms on a normal deal)

(but but but who else was he supposed to sign @J Sizzle!)

Traded Ryan Anderson & De'Anthony Melton to save some money.
    Traded Brandon Knight for the expiring contract.

"They don't care about luxury tax! Luxury tax has never come up!"

Why did they wait to trade Carmelo instead of just releasing him after he was banished?
    Why not just waive Michael Carter-Williams instead of trading him?
    Why not just waive Chinanu or Stauskas or Baldwin instead of trading them?

Oh! Needed some luxury tax savings!

"They're not spending the rest of their MLE now(in the summer) because they're saving the rest of their MLE for the buyout market."

THEY'RE STILL SITTING ON THAT $3 MILLION!

"Sorry buyout guy, gotta wait until February 21st when Tilfart finds some pennies in his cushions."

Sorry, every move since the summer has been a cost-cutting or save money move.
    You can tell me what they coulda, shoulda, woulda done but Morey's been blackballed, no one wants to help the Rockets, blahblahblah but we can take a look at the moves they DID make.

Drafted De'Anthony Melton in the 2nd round (46th pick) of the 2018 NBA Draft.

Traded cash to the Utah Jazz for Vince Edwards
    Traded Chinanu Onuaku, cash & a 2020 2nd round pick to Dallas for Maarty Leunen. $1,544,951 (2020 2nd-rd pick is ability to swap GSW's pick for HOU's pick.)
    Traded Ryan Anderson & De'Anthony Melton to Phoenix for Marquese Chriss & Brandon Knight
    Traded Michael Carter-Williams & cash to Chicago for a 2020 2nd round pick (Pick is top-55 protected.)
    Traded Carmelo Anthony, Jon Diebler & cash to Chicago for Tadija Dragicevic. $1.56MM
    Traded a 2020 2nd round pick to Sacramento for Iman Shumpert;
    Traded Marquese Chriss, Brandon Knight, a 2019 1st round pick & a 2022 2nd round pick to Cleveland for Wade Baldwin, Nik Stauskas & a 2021 2nd round pick (Cleveland traded Alec Burks to Sacramento) (Pick is less favorable of HOU or GSW 2020 2nd-round picks.) (Pick is MIL's 2021 second-round pick.) (Pick is top-14 protected.)
    Traded James Ennis to Philadelphia for a 2021 2nd round pick. (HOU gains right to swap 2021 second-round picks with PHI.)
    Traded Wade Baldwin, Maarty Leunen, Nik Stauskas & a 2021 2nd round pick to Indiana for cash.

Waived Aaron Jackson
    Waived R.J. Hunter
    Waived Rob Gray
    Waived Tim Bond
    Waived Brandon Sampson
    Waived Angel Rodriguez
    Waived Bruno Caboclo
    Waived Danuel House
    Waived Zhou Qi

Signed Michael Carter-Williams(MINIMUM)
    Signed Gary Clark(UDFA; 2-WAY; Regular)
    Signed Vince Edwards(2-WAY)
    Signed Gerald Green(MINIMUM)
    Signed James Ennis(MINIMUM)
    Signed Isaiah Hartenstein(MINIMUM)
    Signed Rob Gray(UDFA)
    Signed Carmelo Anthony(MINIMUM)
    Signed Tim Bond
    Signed Danuel House(MINIMUM; 2-WAY)
    Signed Austin Rivers(MINIMUM)
    Signed James Nunnally(10-day)
    Signed Ken Faried(MINIMUM)

Re-signed Chris Paul(4 years, $160M)
    Re-signed Clint Capela(5 years, $90M)

[​IMG]

#135 J.R., Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Corrosion, Nook and lionaire like this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The idea that they would go over the tax at this point is laughable. I mean I will fall on the floor in shock if they were to get themselves over the line now. Tilman saying that is ridiculous.

I would prefer honesty. "We were willing to go over the tax, nothing materialized so we shifted to trying to improve our roster while getting under the tax this year at the same time." Lying about it makes it so much worse.

Deuce, BigMaloe, Nook and 6 others like this.
  17. biff17

biff17 Member

And a hardy peace biscuit to you as well fine sir.

18. biff17

biff17 Member

so you are gonna actually die on that hill.

who knew an expiring Knight contract could be considered as comparable value to the Tobias and Porzingis trades

more power to you.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

20. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Tilly is getting defensive after so many people have accused him of cheaping out this year. He's done a lot for the city of Houston but his legacy will go in the shitter if he doesn't pony up for a team that was so close to winning it all. How can he not see that??

s3ts and snowconeman22 like this.