1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin to be bought out by Hawks, sign with Toronto

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Feb 11, 2019.

1. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

I read your entire post. I just thought it was odd for you to try to explain the "toxicity" of Lin fans and why this thread has gone on for so many pages by pinning it on "racism" when this thread had none of that. And you also assumed that most Lin fans were not basketball fans prior to Linsanity, which I might believe to be true of overseas Lin fans, but certainly not most Asian-American fans like you and me who have been basketball fans for the majority of our lives.

And of course, I agree with you that he doesn't need fans to defend him and he can take care of himself. For me, the purposes of fan forums is to discuss players, teams, games etc, and if people disagree about something (which happens very often), it makes for a good debate/conversation. But it seems like some people think that a good conversation is everybody agreeing with each other, which I understand but find quite boring. If someone says "Lin gets traded every year", I'm going to say "Lin has only been traded twice in his 9 year career". Is that toxic? I dunno...if you think so, that seems kind of snowflakey to me...

2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

In my opinion, toxicity comes in numbers, like, I'm not very good at making analogies but you know how a grasshopper and a locust is essentially the same thing? Grasshoppers are pretty innocuous and don't cause any trouble but when their numbers reach a critical threshold they stop being individuals and turn into a locust swarm that can destroy civilizations.

Obviously nothing so dramatic happens on basketball fan forums, but it was reeeallly annoying for a while on The Dream Shake, and I think people here on Clutchfans felt the same way.

But to answer your question more directly, if someone says "Lin gets traded every year" and you say "Lin has only been traded twice in his 9 year career", no, I would not say that interaction was toxic at all.

But if, for example, there were 30 people who would respond to every comment about Lin on this site, even if they were polite, it would be irksome for me. Because at that point, it becomes more about a singular player than the team we're all rooting for to succeed.

3. mikus

mikus Member

But what you are describing is long gone and Tinman still feels the need to respond to every frickin Lin post. I've been a Rockets fan for 27 years and they are literally the only NBA team I root for but I can't root for Lin even though his family is from the same part of Taiwan as my family. F- that man. What does it mean when a guy has been playing in the NBA for 9 years with career averages of 11.8 PPG 43.6% 34.8% 3pt and some people still constantly say he shouldn't be in the league at all? :rolleyes:

ballhogger and yoeddy like this.
  4. yoeddy

I agree with you regarding the numbers thing...30 people responding to every little thing with "Lin should start!" or something like that is annoying, no question. And perhaps when Linsanity was still fresh, I'm sure it was super-annoying. But does it really still happen? Sometimes I feel like it's completely overblown. For example, this season I've spent some time reading the Hawks boards on SBNation...posted a few times, but not a ton, so mostly just reading. What I did see was maybe 3-4 Lin fans (who were clearly also basketball fans) make generally reasonable observations...a few comments/responses on articles that attracted maybe 300+ comments overall...yet there were 10-12 Hawk fans having a cow about how bad Lin fans are. Honestly, I didn't think it warranted having a cow over.

5. yoeddy

Tinman loves Lin...can't get enough...

ballhogger likes this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

8 pages in 24 hours for a role player. Neat.

juanm34 likes this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There’s nothing wrong for being a rockets fan and rooting for Lin
    There is something wrong with being a Lin fan joining just to reply to every Rockets fan who doesn’t think Lin was great

For example
    If the flood gates were open and Utah Jazz fans acted like Lin fans came here and pretended to be rockets fans
    And got upset every time we talked smack about the jazz

If you had a bbq site and a vegan joined just to smear meat lovers
    You get the picture

Look at the Lin threads before he joined the rockets here. It was just like every other thread

Now look at the Lin threads after Lin fans invaded

8. tinman

Supporting Member

I love the truth and I love to see the population of player only fans to be zero

Team fans

9. tinman

Supporting Member

And yoeddy has been a Rockets fan for zero years

If yoeddy leaves clutchfans and doesn’t come back as another account and no other lof join
    I won’t jump in a Lin thread

He doesn’t give a damn about the Rockets and won’t have any pleasure in the garm

You know that these Lin fans have many accounts for all the teams

Go ahead and look at the other team sites

10. tinman

Supporting Member

You know that dude is LOF
    He defends Lin for that pitiful Portland playoff disaster
    Which every Rockets fan from China to Africa thought he was completely clueless and a negative in the court

11. yoeddy

I do give a damn about the Rockets. Yao is a Rocket for life, and I love to see Yao's team be successful. And any team that has had 2 Ivy League players on its roster is also good with me. I own more Rockets jerseys than I do of any other team in the NBA (and only surpassed by the NY Giants in any sport).

12. yoeddy

Totally not a Lin-Only Fan. Sorry, but that's the truth.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

@Zboy @CometsWin @FLASH21 @threepointshot3
    Evidence of LOF

1. Not a Rockets fan, but joins Rockets site
    2. Joined Lakers site because of Lin
    3. Not basketball reasons for being a Lin Fan
    4. Discussion of Lin here as 'terrific?' not..
    5. Dislike of James Harden

There's lots of more .. The magic of just reposting the truth

#153 tinman, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    King1 likes this.
  14. adoo

adoo Member

that captures the essence of Tinman's mis-directed hatred

Except for the great 3-wk run, Lin has been a borderline starter / bench player.
    Morey made the stupid decision to pay top $ to get him as a FA

Lin's play as a Rox did not commensurate w his top $ FA contract.
    haters like Tinman, after all these years, are still using him as a convenient scapegoat for Morey's stupidity
    true haters like tinman are too afraid to hold Morey Lin accountable for his stupid decision---using Lin as a convenient scapegoat------
    to overbid on then-FA Lin, by giving him a poison pill offer,
    whose only claim to fame was a great 3-wk run B4 a season-ending injury.​

Morey justified this stupid decision w some cherry-pick stats that liken Lin to LBJ, Iverson and CP3

#154 adoo, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  15. yoeddy

This feels a little creepy...

ballhogger likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

you wrote it.

yeah, someone who has an account on Clutchfans and the Lakers board because of a player who doesn't player for either team anymore.

17. yoeddy

In what way was Lin's contract a "top $ FA contract"? His cap hit when he was with the Rockets was $8.3M/year, which put him $3M less than players like Jose Calderon and in the ballpark of guys like George Hill...hardly "top $ FA" money. And if you just look at the first two years, he was earning $5M/year which was below-market for a starting NBA PG. His contract was almost identical to Omer Asik, and I don't know anyone who considered Asik's contract with the Rockets as a "top $ FA contract".

18. adoo

adoo Member

o_O

u do understand that no other team was willing to bid against Morey's poison pill FA offer to Lin, no?​

the market had spoken,

the above underscores the fact that the poison pill contract offer to FA Lin was way above market value​

#158 adoo, Feb 12, 2019
  19. yoeddy

"Above market" does not equal "top $ FA contract". And that another team did not try to match the contract does not indicate "way above market value". Agree that it could certainly indicate "above market value".

Regarding the poison pill, it was only a poison pill for the Knicks...based on the other contracts the Knicks had on their books, the contract was a poison pill to the Knicks because it pushed them into the luxury tax of over $35M...so in essence, in order for the Knicks to match, it would have cost them $60M over 3 years. Even the most extreme Lin fan knows that Lin was not worth $20M/year to the Knicks.

Also, Dolan had already said publicly that he would match any offer Lin received, so there was disincentive for other teams to actually put out an offer to Lin unless it was either on the high end or it was structured smartly (like Morey ended up doing). So you can't look at the absence of other offers to prove that there was no interest.

Before the Rockets made their offer to Lin, most folks who analyze these things in the NBA had Lin going for somewhere in the $20-25M range over 3 years, as that was what the average starting PG in the NBA was making those years. The Rockets gave him the top end of that. Was it "above market value"? Probably. Was it "Way above market value" or a "Top $ FA contract"? Not really.

#159 yoeddy, Feb 12, 2019
  20. yoeddy

I meant that it feels creepy that you actually made the effort to go back to dig up all those posts from the last few years. You are obsessed!

ballhogger likes this.