1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade for Iman Shumpert

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Also, while I don't know how long he'll be on the team, if the Rockets choose to keep Wade Baldwin, that's another plus defender that has been added to the roster. While shedding salary, the Rockets have managed to add two defensive pieces, so I really can't be too upset over these trades.

Anthony Davis wasn't coming here anyway, so we shored up an area of relative weakness.

Patience likes this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

3. Bobby Jackson Rules

some people here must know that we gave the first round pick up not for adding Shumpert but for reducing $15,643,750 salary (of Brandan Knight) next year. I think giving up Melton plus one late 20s 1st round pick for saving 20m salary next year is not way too much lost.

BigShasta and Bids9 like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looking like a Mike D'Antoni team again

RyanB, Roomba and Bids9 like this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This whole thread is hilarious to me. I know most of you somehow seemed to think that Morey was magically going to get Beal (who isn't even on the block) or Anthony Davis and that getting Shumpert is a huge let down if that was where your bar was set. But don't sleep on this. Shumpert is going to fit well here and be an important piece in our final push.

mikol13, YOLO, SWTsig and 13 others like this.
  6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sure, Tilman.

Vivi, icewill36, J.R. and 3 others like this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So I guess this is it then?

9. rocks123

rocks123 Member

i think shumpert will do okay. he is very familiar with d antoni system. and he can play defense and shoot the threes. and he has to do well to get a new contract. hes definitely motivated.

roslolian likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dunno why people are hating on Shumpert wtf dude is like a taller and more healthy Beverly, bit of a streaky shooter but athletic as hell and very good defensively:

8 ppg 37% from 3

Seems like our Ennis replacement to me. I love the trade you guys are smoking crack if you don't think it makes the team way better.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

How many "big" guys got meaningful minutes last year, Deb? How many was in MDA's playoff rotation last year, the same rotation that played their asses off to lose in a Game 7 of the WCF?

People on here act as if we are never getting Capela back and also think that rebounding is only limited to centers.

As for getting a star, Deb, how do you know Morey wasn't or isn't trying? Trades take two teams to agree upon a deal. LOL what were you expecting? For Morey to go out and say here are my crap players give me a Bradley Beal and the world bends toward his will? LOL don't be naive, Deb.

mikol13 and cbass like this.
  12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Because you have the league MVP in his prime and already invested in an aging PG. This is the definition on win now territory, and tax savings don't fit into that equation. What other win now teams do you see skimping on $$?

Little Bit, DaDakota, Y2JT and 2 others like this.
  13. StrawberryJamm

Nah man, but you can go on confused and wonder wtf MDA is thinking WHEN HE DEFINITELY 100% plays a lineup without one of those guys if you want.

14. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

One of those underrated moves that gets us to a 20 game winning steak heading into the playoffs

mikeiah, Chamillionaire, BigM and 2 others like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have a hunch someone will change his status to Shumpert Only Fan. #MaybeSoon

Williamson, deb4rockets and hakeem94 like this.
  16. thekad

thekad Member

Shumpert one year removed from being dumped by Lebron because he was unplayable is the savior of the Rockets season haha.

Completely brainwashed while Tillman is counting his luxury tax savings.

Little Bit likes this.
  17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

You realize we’re playing in the playoffs THIS YEAR? You’re insane if you think we should just waste the monster year Harden is having for future cap flexibility. And if you think CP3 is old today just wait til next season.

We’re trying to win a championship THIS YEAR dude. If this is the best Morey could do, you take it and hope for the best.

jcmoon and deb4rockets like this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was sure playable when they beat the piss out of GSW wasn't he?

jcmoon and Patience like this.
  19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't care about last year any more. We lost Luc and Ariza and now the Warriors added Cousins. Sorry, but I think asking for say a bigger starting forward doesn't seem very illogical to me. I'm not a small ball fan. I don't want a Bradley Beal or any other guard playing wing that is 6'5".

I don't know what Morey tries or doesn't try or how much tax savings figure in our cheap owner's budget. All I do know is someone with a little more offensive firepower AND defense might be our best option with our shaky shooters. Paul's offensive sputtering is looking worse than EGO now, and Tucker's offense is slipping away to single digit land too often .Our starters were better last year other than Harden and Clint. This isn't last year's starters who almost beat GSW. We have downgraded and they upgraded adding Cousins. Last year's comparison is meaningless now.

#599 deb4rockets, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  20. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

The problem with the trade for Shump is this...

We recently added Austin Rivers who has been managing as the 4th guard. Shumpert might be better. Shumpert is at his best when defending other guards, no doubt. He has been playing a lot of 3 this season, so he's capable of it so that's good. I think we all would still prefer a real 3/4 hybrid, but seeing as we traded for Iman Shumpert that means that a 3/4 hybrid wasn't available. As I fan, I get it. Daryl couldn't get a forward out of Knight and a 1st. So, he settled for another guard. And that's my issue.

Iman Shumpert isn't the answer to our length and defensive struggles. He can help, but I'd much rather have the 20th-25th pick in this draft than a guy who won't push us to greater heights this season. Too many times do people throw out that late first rounders don't matter, but that's not true. There's about a 15 to 20% chance that selecting 25-35 alone will net you rotation player. The NBA draft is the best and easiest way to acquire talent. This has always held true.

This move alone, as it stands at this very moment, was mainly a luxury tax move rather than a depth move. It was at the cost of our 1st round pick. It didn't even get us below the luxury tax. I would be somewhat fine with this trade if it managed to get us below the LT, but it didn't. We're still over by 4 million, and it will still count. If you want to save money then you go all in. Being below the LT matters a great deal, so I understand if the goal was to get under it. However, being 4,000,000 dollars over or 15,000,000 dollars over doesn't matter. It is still the same. It will count as "one of three".

'19 first was traded for Iman
    '18 first was traded for Chris Paul
    '17 first was traded for Lou Williams
    '16 first was traded for Ty Lawson
    '15 first was traded for cap space (Lin) [Rockets obtained NO's 1st round pick the same day]
    '14 Clint Capela was selected

So, aside from '15 each time Morey traded a first it was for a player that was expected to become a heavy rotation player. Even Lawson. At this moment what is Iman for the Rockets? Their new starting small forward? Gordon goes back to the bench? Rockets re-sign Iman to take Austin's spot next season? Iman takes playing time away from Ennis and Green? Or does he take playing time away from Rivers?

Currently:
    Guards: Harden, Paul, Gordon, Rivers, Shumpert, Baldwin, Stauskas
    Forwards: Tucker, Green, Ennis, Clark,
    Bigs: Capela, Faried, Nene, Hartenstein
    2-way: House, Edwards

But the trade deadline hasn't passed, so there's still time on what can happen. But looking at the forwards list hurts a lot.

Little Bit likes this.